Options

Hard Drive - Free Space

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wonder if anyone can help ?

I have a fairly old pc running XP. When new it had hard drive free space of 70gb....or thereabouts.

I have taken off most of my music, films, pics etc but still only have about 1gb of free space available.

I run scans, disk cleaners, clear temporary files etc on a regular basis....so apart from a full system restore is there a way of clearing some of the rubbish out and gettiing back some of my free space ?

Not too sure if this is anything to do with it.....I use JDownloader on a regular basis.....but when downloads are complete I always move the downloads to an external hard drive.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you emptied your recycle bin?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When moving files from the download folder to the external hard drive did you use cut and paste or drag and drop?

If you use drag and drop the file is copied not moved so the original stays on your internal drive.

A utility I have used quite a lot to see where stuff is hiding on a hard disk is Treesize. The free version can be downloaded here

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

It will show what amount of disk space is being taken up by each folder. So gives you an idea where to look for what is taking up all the free space on the drive.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I use one of these when looking for big files http://windows7themes.net/free-windows-7-disk-analyzer.html

I've only used tree size don't no about the rest.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Turn off system restore then turn it back on that can get up to 20gb iirc.

ccleaner
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes done all that you advise....except the system restore which I don't think is working.

I always cut and paste files and use ccleaner on a regular basis...but I shall give treesize a try

Thanks anyways....looks like I shall have to save up and buy a new pc?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well treesize is going to tell you exactly where your space is.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Well you must have downloaded some sort of junk because a fresh install of xp takes maybe 4GB. Over time it grows a bit but under 5GB is quite easy. Even with swap/hibernation files and program files it should be under 20Gb.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    cuk wrote: »
    Yes done all that you advise....except the system restore which I don't think is working.

Use Ccleaner, tools, system restore .... highlight the restore points and remove, it will keep the last one.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    cuk wrote: »
    Thanks anyways....looks like I shall have to save up and buy a new pc?

You certainly don't need to buy a new PC because of hard drive space being used up. As above, a tool like Treesize will quickly tell you where all your space has gone. Common causes are log files rampaging out of control or temp files from video apps not being deleted.

And are you sure you're actually moving your completed downloads instead of copying them?
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Yup more likely than not he downloaded a buncha stuff and never deleted it.

The disk cleanup wizard also has an option of auto compressing all files over a certain number of day so no access in xp, sadly a feature missing from vista/w7. You can gain a few GB that way with no ill effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well tried everything and nothing seems to give me back any significant amout of disk space. At the moment with no music files, videos or large amounts of pictures I only have just over 1gb of free space

When I ran the programme that tells you where your files are.....it only found about 10gb of used hard drive. Not a clue what's happened to the rest of the space:confused:

As for moving downloads I always cut and then paste them over to a CD or external HD
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like Windows is throwing a wobbly. Try this...

Open a Command Prompt (click Start then Run and enter cmd into the box). In the window that opens type..

chkdsk

Then press Enter. It may take a while to complete but once done it will report on any errors it finds and display a summary of the file system on your drive.

If any errors are reported then you can run it again in fix mode by typing...

chkdsk /f

Because it is trying to repair the C: drive it will prompt you to reboot so it can do it's work. Reboot and before Windows loads you'll see it working on a blue screen. If it goes OK then it should fix any file system errors.

As always when doing anything involving the file system make sure you have a working back-up available just in case.

More details on chkdsk here, with examples of what information it displays here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK
  • Options
    GorkyGorky Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely try chkdsk. One other possible solution is to go to Folder Options in Windows Explorer and select Show Hidden Files and Folders and also not to Hide protected operating system files as the space may be taken up by files/folders you can't see at the moment. There's a Microsoft article here with other suggestions (assuming the file system is NTFS).