"Blockbusters" on Challenge TV

Comments

• steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they airing new episodes in July?

They said autumn.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Why are they airing new episodes in July?

They said autumn.

Rating i would guess.

This is good news
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    Rating i would guess.

This is good news

Not if your away it isnt.
  • Don DapperDon Dapper Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    turned this on a little while back, on really late on challenge and who was a contestant in her younger days?

http://up.metropol247.co.uk/davidlees/huq_blockbuster_model.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it with gameshows they always put glamorous contestants on. Out of 15 years of watching gameshows ive never seen them once put a 20 stone lady on probably because it wouldnt suit the tv companies image.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From challenge Facebook.
    *FANFARE PLEASE* All New episodes of Blockbusters returns to your screens on Monday 9th July :-) Starting with A Celebrity Special!!! Starring... Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee, Fatima Whitbread, Keith Duffy, Alex James and Konnie Huq returns to Blockbusters :-)
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it with gameshows they always put glamorous contestants on. Out of 15 years of watching gameshows ive never seen them once put a 20 stone lady on probably because it wouldnt suit the tv companies image.

What about that woman from The Chase, Ann, she isn't exactly thin and young.
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    tomee wrote: »
    From challenge Facebook.

Dear oh dear I would have thought 'celebrities' would have been queueing up to take part in such an iconic show!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    What about that woman from The Chase, Ann, she isn't exactly thin and young.

She was a MP so technically that doesnt really count. Why all the glamorous girls. They do it in reality shows aswell. I didnt find one person in BB ugly because they pick all the good looking ones.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member

They have plenty of fat people on In it to Win it as well as bimbos. Looks don't matter on that show as long as you are sufficiently thick.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was a MP so technically that doesnt really count.

Anne Hegerty - The Chase?

Or are you thinking of ...

Ann Widdecombe - Strictly come dancing etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Anne Hegerty - The Chase?

Or are you thinking of ...

Ann Widdecombe - Strictly come dancing etc?

probably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    This show's not coming back anytime in the near future.. Shame.

https://twitter.com/ChallengeTV/status/309597569254834178

I asked on Twitter.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    PWSJohn wrote: »

I asked on Twitter.

In a kind of way it's a relief. I watched the remake and to be honest the questions probably a kid could have answered easily at times. Quite a bit dumbed down from the original bob shows for sure
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky will not stick with anything for more than one or two series they promote all these new comedies on Sky 1 no one watches because they are on Sky 1 and they give up, this is the problem with mutli channel tv the shows do not get the audience to justify more series.

In the old days of analogue tv shows were allowed to build on say BBC2 and build an audience and get promoted to BBC-1, multi channels like Challenge cannot afford to keep making shows that will bring in 100,000-200,000 viewers and I suspect Sky1 have all these wonderful ideas for comedies and over estimate the potential audience and drop then when the inevitably don't get what they expect.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I asked on Twitter.
    what happens to that last contestant who was going to do a gold run? Disapointed its not coming back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    In a kind of way it's a relief. I watched the remake and to be honest the questions probably a kid could have answered easily at times. Quite a bit dumbed down from the original bob shows for sure

Ohhh it could've been great. But, like fools, they ticked every 'don't do it' box available. Here's what they did wrong:

1) Allowed all ages. This was not the spirit of the original show, it was a students programme and most of the amusement / awkwardness / silly answers came from that. Last time it was brought back they did all ages, and last time it also failed.

2) The board looked cheap and nasty using cheap computer graphics, achieving the almost impossible task of making the 80s one look hi tech. Another example of how computer graphics are used to ruin something. (C) Lucasfilm

3) Simon Mayo hosting. Completely unsuited for any television hosting role, but particularly apathetic, unenthusiastic, bored and uncharismatic on this one. You could tell he didn't like the show and his banter with the contestants was terrible. His low energy was the mirror opposite of Bob Holness.

4) Simon Mayo's insistence on using the word 'hexagons' about 20 times per episode.

5) Putting it on Challenge, a repeats channel

6) A very short run. It was never given chance to establish itself. It took a break soon after it started and then came back a month or so later (if I remember rightly) for no apparent reason.

7) Questions were way too easy. It was mindless television.

I could go on...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »

5) Putting it on Challenge, a repeats channel

Err Challenge commissioned it they hardly going to put it on another channel when they paid for it to be made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err Challenge commissioned it they hardly going to put it on another channel when they paid for it to be made.

Errrrrrrr patronise much? Yeah I thought someone would come along and say that. Well done.

Obviously I meant someone else should have brought it back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »
    Errrrrrrr patronise much? Yeah I thought someone would come along and say that. Well done.

Obviously I meant someone else should have brought it back.

Nobody wanted to Challenge is the gameshow channel and is the only channel willing to try this type of quiz itv want big rating Saturday night shows these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody wanted to Challenge is the gameshow channel and is the only channel willing to try this type of quiz itv want big rating Saturday night shows these days.

Ok. I trust you agree with the other points on the list? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The set was wrong it looked totally out of place plus the lighting of the board was wrong.

I didn't mind the expansion of contestant age.

Simon Mayo was definietly wrong he has never been interesting.

Plus despite 20 - 30 years passing the contestants got the same money for playing.
  • Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Simon Mayo back in November and he told me that all the programmes were recorded back in the early part of 2012 and he had no knowledge of any further series. He gave me the impression that he didn't really care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I asked on Twitter.

Well that sucks. We need to see Amy do her next goldrun.
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Plus despite 20 - 30 years passing the contestants got the same money for playing.
    Even so, a losing contestant going away with just £5 does better than the winner in other quiz shows who get nothing.
    Nobody wanted to[,] Challenge is the gameshow channel and is the only channel willing to try this type of quiz itv want big rating Saturday night shows these days.
    I'm not sure about that. Blockbusters is a perfect quiz to fill up the day time and late afternoon schedules.