Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Results are in for the latest Portwenn Online survey. The results can be found on the home page (hint - we have pretty optimistic fans ;-)). And today starts the new Portwenn Survivor. Every week you will have a chance to vote out your least favorite episode from the surviving episodes. I'm really anxious to see which ones fall first - and if we have much of a consensus or if they will be all over the map. Every Saturday I will post complete results.

And stay tuned next Saturday for part two of the survey when we begin to analyze the episode titles from the eliminated episodes.

http://portwennonline.com/index.html

done. And may I say, I'm so happy you used "bated breath" correctly, as opposed to "baited breath" which always sounds disgusting to me.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    done. And may I say, I'm so happy you used "bated breath" correctly, as opposed to "baited breath" which always sounds disgusting to me.

LOL! My dear departed mother taught me that years ago. When I use it I'm sometimes afraid that someone reading it will think I screwed up. We seem to have a lot in common besides geography! :D
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Results are in for the latest Portwenn Online survey. The results can be found on the home page (hint - we have pretty optimistic fans ;-)). And today starts the new Portwenn Survivor. Every week you will have a chance to vote out your least favorite episode from the surviving episodes. I'm really anxious to see which ones fall first - and if we have much of a consensus or if they will be all over the map. Every Saturday I will post complete results.

And stay tuned next Saturday for part two of the survey when we begin to analyze the episode titles from the eliminated episodes.

http://portwennonline.com/index.html

I was surprised to see that 43% thought the series would continue beyond S7 and almost 57% thought not. I voted that the series would go beyond S7 based on the fantastic (both artistic and monetary) success world wide of this series, and I thought that the Cluneses would somehow keep it going (as long as MC doesn't have another series in the think tank phase or S7 doesn't quite hit its mark). Their farm must be a great expense, plus he supports many charities, some of those we have knowledge, probably many we don't. Was this a rational decision on my part to vote this way?
    As for S7 and DM returning to some surgery: In S5 we had a hint that he was capable by doing that procedure on Elinor, and in S6, of course, the surgery on Louisa. Somehow, I think they will be inching in that direction--how, don't ask me, I am not good at forecasting where the writers will take us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I was surprised to see that 43% thought the series would continue beyond S7 and almost 57% thought not. I voted that the series would go beyond S7 based on the fantastic (both artistic and monetary) success world wide of this series, and I thought that the Cluneses would somehow keep it going (as long as MC doesn't have another series in the think tank phase or S7 doesn't quite hit its mark). Their farm must be a great expense, plus he supports many charities, some of those we have knowledge, probably many we don't. Was this a rational decision on my part to vote this way?
    As for S7 and DM returning to some surgery: In S5 we had a hint that he was capable by doing that procedure on Elinor, and in S6, of course, the surgery on Louisa. Somehow, I think they will be inching in that direction--how, don't ask me, I am not good at forecasting where the writers will take us.

Don't forget about the very bloody "in the field" surgery on the farmer in S6E1. Doc is an extremely talented surgeon (and GP). There's no doubt about that.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CADMFAN wrote: »
    Not being a physician, I know a lot less about this than you do, but I have a few thoughts I'd like to share anyway. It seems to me that perhaps any physician could be an average GP, but to be an excellent GP like DM, one would need to be an excellent diagnostician. To do that, one needs to first find all the pieces to the puzzle and then to figure out how they fit together to see the picture. In other words, it requires the synthesis of a lot of information, which seem to me takes a lot of brain power. This may not be required on a day to day basis, with the usual complaints a GP generally sees, but for the patient who has an unusual and complex set of symptoms, an excellent GP is worth his/her weight in gold.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that a surgeon‘s job requires a very different skill set than a GP. But if we are comparing the two, doesn't surgery require less synthesis of disparate pieces of data than being a diagnostician does? I'm really interested in your thoughts on this.

Hello, Cadmfan,

As an American GP, I can tell you that DM is a role model for me in his uniquely awesome capabilities. That he went from being such a completely talented surgeon to being such a completely capable GP is amazing. Surgeons are generally not the diagnosticians; they deal with problems already diagnosed and then surgically correct them. For DM to transition so easily and so masterfully from surgery to GP is so impressive. He was born to be a physician. But, not only he is an excellent diagnostician as a GP, his base knowledge of diseases, to identify only few symptoms and be able to pierce them together so quickly into a correct diagnosis, is brilliant. He is conservative, usually, with his treatments but has offered diet, exercise and some "alternative" treatments to patients, as well. He did not dismiss Mark's sister's alternative protocols, but markedly disliked her haughty, arrogant, irresponsible dealing with patients, which he had a right to dislike, as I'm sure we all did. On top of all that, he is fantastic in emergency medicine as well. He is a medical genius! Certainly for GPs, a real role model, (aside from his bedside manner), and one reason, on top of many, that I was so drawn to the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Hello, Cadmfan,

As an American GP, I can tell you that DM is a role model for me in his uniquely awesome capabilities. That he went from being such a completely talented surgeon to being such a completely capable GP is amazing. Surgeons are generally not the diagnosticians; they deal with problems already diagnosed and then surgically correct them. For DM to transition so easily and so masterfully from surgery to GP is so impressive. He was born to be a physician. But, not only he is an excellent diagnostician as a GP, his base knowledge of diseases, to identify only few symptoms and be able to pierce them together so quickly into a correct diagnosis, is brilliant. He is conservative, usually, with his treatments but has offered diet, exercise and some "alternative" treatments to patients, as well. He did not dismiss Mark's sister's alternative protocols, but markedly disliked her haughty, arrogant, irresponsible dealing with patients, which he had a right to dislike, as I'm sure we all did. On top of all that, he is fantastic in emergency medicine as well. He is a medical genius! Certainly for GPs, a real role model, (aside from his bedside manner), and one reason, on top of many, that I was so drawn to the show.

Thank you for your response, Deredekea. You expressed my thoughts better than I did regarding what makes DM such an outstanding GP. It seems to me that being able to 1) have such an encyclopedic amount of medical knowledge, 2) be able to quickly put the pieces of the puzzle together, and 3) be able to do it with such a limited number of facts (without umpteen tests being run) takes an awful lot of brain power. Of course, not all GPs operate at that level (present company excepted, of course). I suspect it is pretty rare, because our Doc is quite extraordinary, but if you are fortunate to have one as your physician, hang onto him/her for dear life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My local PBS is apparently showing Doc Martin again, now on E1 and E2 of S5, in preparation for starting S6. Two quick things: wow, the weight loss of Martin Clunes between S5 and S6 is noticeable, even apart from his illness-induced weight loss part-way through filming. He was quite bulky at the start of S5.

Also, I've probably forgotten a whole lot of S5E1, but it seems to me that were snippets or camera shots in the PBS version that I didn't see on Netflicks. Did anyone else have this same perception?
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holiday Letdown, Martin Cheer Me Up! Portland DM Meetup
    Saturday, January 11, 2014
    3pm

John Barleycorns (a McMenamin's place)
    14610 S.W. Sequoia Pkwy.
    Tigard, OR 97223
    (503) 684-2688
    jbc@mcmenamins.com

Please let me know if you plan to attend.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were 2 short outtakes featured on It'll Be Alright on the Night. I uploaded them to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cNuULerexI
    Forum Member

Speaking of Downton Abbey...did anyone else notice Tommy of Tommy's Taxi's in the luncheon scene last night?

Another actor from DM that has shown up several times was the school governor (can't remember his name). He played the London attorney in a few episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Speaking of Downton Abbey...did anyone else notice Tommy of Tommy's Taxi's in the luncheon scene last night?

Another actor from DM that has shown up several times was the school governor (can't remember his name). He played the London attorney in a few episodes.

Murray the attorney on DA is played by Jonathan Coy who was Mr. Sands back in 2005...
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    A good bit of snogging there and I mean GOOD! :) Affection went off the rails in Series 3, unfortunately for us.

Even though Doc's not a hugger...I should have included hugs in my list too. Peck on the cheek here and there...sometimes just the look says it all.

The piggyback across the stream is the kind of goodhearted humor that has gone missing and I'd like to see a lot more of between Martin and Louisa. While they might not be smiling, we are!
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    There were 2 short outtakes featured on It'll Be Alright on the Night. I uploaded them to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cNuULerexI

Hope there will be more outtakes from S6 out there eventually...there were a lot of scenes where I can just imagine a bust up of the cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know who sponsors the Doc Martin TV show in the UK?
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Does anyone know who sponsors the Doc Martin TV show in the UK?

I watched this stuff on Tunnelbear..straight from ITV. "Simply Health" is some type of private medical insurance. I think another was like a natural gas provider. Kevin Bacon, go figure, was on adverts from a bank, I believe, but it can't remember which. I'm trying to remember more that I suffered through buffering.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK.......there is one aspect of Doc Martin's life that is highly evident, really out of character, and never ever explored. Why does Martin have his small collection of Bhuddas and oriental boxes and art? Edith spoke of the Buddha once during the episodes, I believe to intimate that she gave him the large gold one. Martin put bid Buddha in a seat belt when he was leaving Port Wenn, stating it was valuable. Has anyone discussed the meaning of these objects or why they are in Martin's possession. It makes me think that something in S7 will explain these things......something...part of his treatment......I don't know what. It is just another unsolved mystery along with frog dissection, breaking glass and psychosomatic reaction to blood. The look he gave Mummy while picking up the the pieces of the plate he dropped, to me, may have been a blast from the past. But Bhudda....?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    OK.......there is one aspect of Doc Martin's life that is highly evident, really out of character, and never ever explored. Why does Martin have his small collection of Bhuddas and oriental boxes and art? Edith spoke of the Buddha once during the episodes, I believe to intimate that she gave him the large gold one. Martin put bid Buddha in a seat belt when he was leaving Port Wenn, stating it was valuable. Has anyone discussed the meaning of these objects or why they are in Martin's possession. It makes me think that something in S7 will explain these things......something...part of his treatment......I don't know what. It is just another unsolved mystery along with frog dissection, breaking glass and psychosomatic reaction to blood. The look he gave Mummy while picking up the the pieces of the plate he dropped, to me, may have been a blast from the past. But Bhudda....?

Well, we certainly had a lively discussion about Buddhas many months ago here, but certainly we've seen nothing in the show other than what you mentioned already. I feel we need an insider on set to maybe find out about the Buddhas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to vote in the National TV Awards: Martin is up for one. Website for voting is in article. http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-01-07/benedict-cumberbatch-david-tennant-and-olivia-colman-compete-for-radio-times-tv-detective-award
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »

Looking closely at the way the surgery is decorated especially in early episodes, I feel there is kind of an "Eastern" esthetic, perhaps meant to go along with his minimalist, no frills (except the Lexus and fancy suits) lifestyle. Sort of the equivalent of his very minimalist hair style. Perhaps as part of his "background story" he was once thought to have traveled in Asia, or had an interest in Eastern religions. If you note, there are multiple Buddhas, sitting all over the place. (See Portwennonline for a compendium.)

But DM is anything but a Buddhist -- he suffers and suffers and represses -- there is no "letting go" about him. He alternates between stifling and losing control. Definitely not Buddhist practice.

So maybe the Buddha is kind of an ironic counterpoint? Notice that the main one is smiling.

I think the only significance in S4 of the Buddha is as a necessary plot device. Perhaps they knew that the Buddha statue had an important role to play in E8, so they highlighted it with Edith's comment early on. Or perhaps Edith just commented on it to indicate that they had known each other for a long time and she had spent time in a place where he lived and was familiar with the figure. And then, having highlighted it, it could play its valuable role in E8. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

I wish I did though -- makes a good story.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the local pbs stations from Long Island had a pledge drive before Christmas and they offered a dvd of DM Behind the Scenes Collection which runs about 74 minutes and does interviews from S5 (which have appeared on the S5 Blogspot) and S6. There were two presenters to show the viewers certain things about Port Isaac. It was first basically founded in 1500's and some of the present buildings date back to 1700's. The streets are narrow because land travel at that time was done by donkey and cart. At one part Philippa took David Rubenstein (one of the presenters) into the grain barn which they have converted into the interior of doc's surgery. In walking around the examining room, Rubenstein pointed out to PB the gold Buddha on the mantle. She only commented that they get quite alot of letters about it, it is seen in every series, and they are never going to tell you about the significance of that prop! So there we are. I, for one, think that at some point down the road when they know the series will be ending they will reveal why they made the Buddha a part of the set props.
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    Looking closely at the way the surgery is decorated especially in early episodes, I feel there is kind of an "Eastern" esthetic, perhaps meant to go along with his minimalist, no frills (except the Lexus and fancy suits) lifestyle. Sort of the equivalent of his very minimalist hair style. Perhaps as part of his "background story" he was once thought to have traveled in Asia, or had an interest in Eastern religions. If you note, there are multiple Buddhas, sitting all over the place. (See Portwennonline for a compendium.)

But DM is anything but a Buddhist -- he suffers and suffers and represses -- there is no "letting go" about him. He alternates between stifling and losing control. Definitely not Buddhist practice.

So maybe the Buddha is kind of an ironic counterpoint? Notice that the main one is smiling.

I think the only significance in S4 of the Buddha is as a necessary plot device. Perhaps they knew that the Buddha statue had an important role to play in E8, so they highlighted it with Edith's comment early on. Or perhaps Edith just commented on it to indicate that they had known each other for a long time and she had spent time in a place where he lived and was familiar with the figure. And then, having highlighted it, it could play its valuable role in E8. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

I wish I did though -- makes a good story.

I hope when they do decide to wrap up DM, the storylines give us the background behind all of these weird little things that were never explained, like the Buddha's and the clocks and sensitivity with his hand, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Martin does have an Asian decorating aesthetic in his surgery. When Edith visited him, it seemed she was familiar with decorative items as well as the Buddha. Because of the colonization or involvement of the British in many Asian countries, that particularly aesthetic is very popular in higher SES ranks in England. I think it is the type of decorating he saw in his parents' home and probably in those of his London colleagues. It is not unusual for him to have those items. At one time they were integrated very well into the very clean lines of his furniture -- such as his glass desk -- but many of those items have disappeared. I thought Edith had given the larger Buddha to him given the way she reacted to it and his almost sheepish comment that he still had it. I think he didn't want Edith to know that he still kept any connection with her -- or anyone else.
This discussion has been closed.