Options

Is it true that most rapes go unreported? if so why?

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJM91 wrote: »
    No, the point was made because posters were equating being 15 to being a grown adult. Which is a load of crap and if people believe that they will start to get ideas its ok for any age of person to have sex with a 15 year old.

Further points were that younger children (11/12/13) can often be mistaken for being 15 years old or even older (happened to me loads), therefore if an 18/19 year old is perfectly happy to have sex with a 15 year old (we know plenty of blokes never bother finding out a 'woman's' age before having sex with them) they may also have sex with a 12 year old that looks 15.

And anyone older than that imo who is happy sleeping with 14/15 year olds is a risk to older children, and shouldnt be trusted around them.

Off to bed!

For the umpteenth time you quoted my post and it was not about 12 year olds and much older men, in fact it was only loosely connected to a debate about 15 and 18 year olds which you dont seem to find a huge issue.

If you want to raise your outrage at 12 year olds having sex with much older men then do so, but dont pretend you are arguing with a fm who has said that they agreed with 12 year olds and much older men because no one has said that. I certainly have not and this began with you quoting my post.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats weak about the argument a 15 year old is emotionally immature compared to someone merely a few years older?
    Have you ever had children?

If you have then all I can say is that you haven't learned much from the experience...

"15 year old" in this context is simply convenient pigeon hole used by those who don't wish to deal in the realities of life.

Yes they are 15, but above all else they are also individuals and you have to treat them as such...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    KittyKream wrote: »
    It is indicative of a damaged society that a victim of a crime should feel too ashamed to be able to confide in people about being raped. They have nothing to feel ashamed about,they have done nothing wrong.

However rape is such a difficult crime to prove unless the attacker was violent physically,you can't send someone unless you are certain they are guilty of the crime and with rape that evidence is not easy to obtain.

So I can't see things ever changing.

True, its also the nature of the crime it often happens alone with 2 people, like much abuse its not a dynamic that encourages people to speak up, i also think general prudishness around sex adds in an unnecessary shame element to it, it's not as uncomfortable to talk about lets say being hit in the face is it?
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it was about rape and descended into a conversation about teenagers having sex. Odd really considering the former has sod all to do with the latter.

Actually the later has everything to do with the former as a 16-year-old having sex with a 15-year-old can, in theory, be charged under the Sexual Offences Act for having sex with a minor (or whatever the current legal term for it is), which is basically the legal terminology for underage sex where consent is given between the ages of 13 and 15 where it would be an offence of rape if one party was under 13.
    No, the point was made because posters were equating being 15 to being a grown adult. Which is a load of crap and if people believe that they will start to get ideas its ok for any age of person to have sex with a 15 year old.

No they weren't. People, myself included, were saying that not every 15-year-old was immature so stating a blanket opinion that they should not be having sex, does not work. Also a 16-year-old is considered a grown adult so, presumably under your definition, it would be fine for a 20-year-old to have a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old because they're now "an adult".
    Taglet wrote: »
    For the umpteenth time you quoted my post and it was not about 12 year olds and much older men, in fact it was only loosely connected to a debate about 15 and 18 year olds which you dont seem to find a huge issue.

If you want to raise your outrage at 12 year olds having sex with much older men then do so, but dont pretend you are arguing with a fm who has said that they agreed with 12 year olds and much older men because no one has said that. I certainly have not and this began with you quoting my post.

Exactly so.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    My daughter, the survivor: Daisy Coleman was found 'nearly dead' after she was raped and dumped on a lawn by a fellow pupil. What happened next was almost as awful...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/my-daughter-the-survivor-daisy-coleman-was-found-nearly-dead-after-she-was-raped-and-dumped-on-a-lawn-by-a-fellow-pupil-what-happened-next-was-almost-as-awful-9110277.html
  • Options
    Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine most men would be too ashamed to report it.

I certainly wouldn't. In fact, I was once threatened with rape back when I was at school, reported it, and it was very swiftly dealt with!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    My daughter, the survivor: Daisy Coleman was found 'nearly dead' after she was raped and dumped on a lawn by a fellow pupil. What happened next was almost as awful...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/my-daughter-the-survivor-daisy-coleman-was-found-nearly-dead-after-she-was-raped-and-dumped-on-a-lawn-by-a-fellow-pupil-what-happened-next-was-almost-as-awful-9110277.html

Yes, it's a horrible rape case, I'm not sure what point you're trying to raise with it though?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Yes, it's a horrible rape case, I'm not sure what point you're trying to raise with it though?

It's just an example of what some victims go through, re the actual thread title.
  • Options
    KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That poor girl

Why are people so CRUEL to each other?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the case was completely on topic and cannot understand your point.:confused:

It highlights not only the trauma of a brutal rape but also the shame she endured by speaking out about it and the online bullying and victim blaming she endured.

Completely appropriate on this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just an example of what some victims go through, re the actual thread title.

Ahhh, gotcha. Yes that case is particularly horrific and the family incredibly strong for rising above it and seeking to help prevent anyone else having to go through it.
    I thought the case was completely on topic and cannot understand your point.:confused:

It highlights not only the trauma of a brutal rape but also the shame she endured by speaking out about it and the online bullying and victim blaming she endured.

Completely appropriate on this thread.

Yes, it's on topic for the original opening post. It wasn't directly related to the discussion that was taking place at the time in the thread though which is why it was confusing. The discussion had moved on to underage sex and the age of consent which is why I was asking what was the reason for the link.

A quote of the original post and then the link in the reply would have made it clearer that it was referencing the original discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    I really and truly certainly think it is.

Else why would anyone, anywhere in the word where it carries a severe punitive custodial sentence and universal societal censure would ever, ever indulge in it?

Why do you think they do it?
    For fun and frolics?
    For kicks?
    Because there's nothing on the telly and thy're a bit bored?
    Of course not.
    Behave yourself.

If you know that what you find sexually irresistible was completely illegal and bound to make you susceptible to being beaten up as a matter of course in actual real life and routinely battered in prison, once you were caught and imprisoned - why would you do it, unless it was part of your natural, undeniable instinct and irresistible sexual nature?

But again that's like saying its a serial killers innate natural nature is to murder and torture people but I don't think that is a natural instinct either.

I take the point you are trying to make and think its a brave viewpoint to put across but peadophiles often hurt (or worse) the children they molest.

Surely there is nothing 'natural' about this behaviour even if that abhorrent behaviour is a 'natural' impulse to them.

These people are mentally ill.
  • Options
    Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That poor girl

Why are people so CRUEL to each other?

Just where did the human race go wrong? :cry:
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad....

God knows what goes through the minds of the vile trolls who attacked her online.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But again that's like saying its a serial killers innate natural nature is to murder and torture people but I don't think that is a natural instinct either.

I take the point you are trying to make and think its a brave viewpoint to put across but peadophiles often hurt (or worse) the children they molest.

Surely there is nothing 'natural' about this behaviour even if that abhorrent behaviour is a 'natural' impulse to them.

These people are mentally ill.

No they are not because mental illness can be cured. At best I would describe it as a personality disorder and many have psychopathic or narcissistic personalities...you dont cure those.
  • Options
    fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member

Yes, it's on topic for the original opening post. It wasn't directly related to the discussion that was taking place at the time in the thread though which is why it was confusing. The discussion had moved on to underage sex and the age of consent which is why I was asking what was the reason for the link.

A quote of the original post and then the link in the reply would have made it clearer that it was referencing the original discussion.

Well you should get the topic title changed then if you are going to take the hump at people actually talking about rape in a 17 page thread titled "Is it true that most rapes go unreported? if so why?".
    Believe it or not many people read only the first few pages and then post a comment, not batter through 17 pages to find its turned into people arguing about the age of consent.
    Change the title, or why could you not have started your own topic called "underage sex - the rights and wrongs" rather than get offended when people actually talk about the original topic in a thread. People who have been raped, or suffered childhood sexual abuse is a completely different and emotive topic than the one this damn thread has morphed into. Electra, and myself a few pages back should consider ourselves wrists slapped for daring to discuss it without your permission. Having the cheek to ask her for a reason for her posting the link - in a thread of this name, whether the topic has "moved on" or not is typical petty online behaviour.

(yep, moody today - before you say it!)