Love this Oscars Selfie!

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
Thought that was highlight of dullest Oscars event! lol

Ellen knows how to take a selfie (she gets Bradley Cooper to do it for her).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly sums up what a dreary backslapping self-congratulatory desperate to convince the world that Hollywood isn't racist w*nkfest the Oscars are, that's for sure.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Party-pooper :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how Lupita Nyong'o little brother snuck in. When he returns to college he's going to be he coolest guy ever. :D
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the one of Benedict Cumberbatch photo bombing U2.
  • EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately it was all a product placement/promotional stunt arranged for Samsung.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/2/5464422/ellen-takes-a-selfie-at-the-oscars-sponsored-by-samsung
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly sums up what a dreary backslapping self-congratulatory desperate to convince the world that Hollywood isn't racist w*nkfest the Oscars are, that's for sure.

Where is it racist? Yes to all the rest though. lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is it racist? Yes to all the rest though. lol

The fact that it took until 2003 for a black actress to win an Oscar? The general "look at us acknowledging 12 Years A Slave, aren't we great, liberal and well-informed" attitude from the Academy? It's hideously WASP-biased and always has been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that it took until 2003 for a black actress to win an Oscar? The general "look at us acknowledging 12 Years A Slave, aren't we great, liberal and well-informed" attitude from the Academy? It's hideously WASP-biased and always has been.

WASP is a racial slur.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WASP is a racial slur.

And is "white" too? Used by a lot of Hollywood & US-based journalists as well.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    I love how Lupita Nyong'o little brother snuck in. When he returns to college he's going to be he coolest guy ever. :D

Thank you :). Was racking my brains as to who that was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And is "white" too? Used by a lot of Hollywood & US-based journalists as well.

Its a racial slur.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,193
    Forum Member

Hattie McDaniel won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar 75 years ago for Gone With the Wind. Whoopi Goldberg won a Best Supporting Oscar for Ghost in 1990, Halle Beery won a Best Actress Oscar in 2001 for Monsters Ball, and Jennifer Hudson won a Best Supporting Oscar in 2006 for Dreamgirls.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I really REALLY don't get the fuss over that (quite badly taken) photo.

Seeing as I only recognise three of those people, and that's after racking my brain, I suppose it's not aimed at me anyway.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Agreed. It made me want to vomit: "omg, omg! look at all does famus peeps in a selfy!! LMFAO ROFL"

UGH!!

Just, there are no words to describe my contempt.
  • xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hattie McDaniel won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar 75 years ago for Gone With the Wind. Whoopi Goldberg won a Best Supporting Oscar for Ghost in 1990, Halle Beery won a Best Actress Oscar in 2001 for Monsters Ball, and Jennifer Hudson won a Best Supporting Oscar in 2006 for Dreamgirls.

LOL owned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xflare wrote: »
    LOL owned.

Best Actress Oscar I meant. 80 years is a stupidly long time.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice. :D
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the first time a black director has won Best Pic.

Do we look at that as affirmative action or just an excellent movie getting the acknowledgment it deserves? Either way, so pleased for Steve McQueen that his stellar and inspiring work as a director has been recognised.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Bela wrote: »
    It's the first time a black director has won Best Pic.

Do we look at that as affirmative action or just an excellent movie getting the acknowledgment it deserves? Either way, so pleased for Steve McQueen that his stellar and inspiring work as a director has been recognised.

But the media present it as "OMFG, look! A black person won an Oscar. A black person won an OSCAR!!" It really is deeply pathetic. It's like the BBC making a particular point of the fact that the medals won by the UK at the cycling championships have all been won by female cyclists. Did you get that. Yes, female cyclists have won ALL the medals!!

And I'm sat thinking 'so ******* what??'. Can't people just do things on their own merit without stuff like race or gender always being an issue.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many black actresses have missed out on a deserved Oscar? This is a serious question btw. I'm not trying to bait. I'm just not an expert of the Oscars and I'm curious.

As for the picture, Kevin Spacey standing at the back reminds me of the time he randomly photobombed someone in his jogging gear :D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a "how many can we fit in this photo" type of shot. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    How many black actresses have missed out on a deserved Oscar? This is a serious question btw. I'm not trying to bait. I'm just not an expert of the Oscars and I'm curious.

Viola Davis, for one.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bela wrote: »
    Viola Davis, for one.

I meant before 2003. I'm thinking that Viola Davis should have won for The Help? That was fairly recent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the media present it as "OMFG, look! A black person won an Oscar. A black person won an OSCAR!!" It really is deeply pathetic. It's like the BBC making a particular point of the fact that the medals won by the UK at the cycling championships have all been won by female cyclists. Did you get that. Yes, female cyclists have won ALL the medals!!

And I'm sat thinking 'so ******* what??'. Can't people just do things on their own merit without stuff like race or gender always being an issue.

Yes, but the disparity exists. That's why the media makes a big deal of it.

I agree that it's all kinds of pathetic that this is still the case in 2014. Quality should be the decider, nothing else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now you're just moving the goalposts.