Is Firefox being slow and/or glitchy for anyone else lately?

I'm having nothing but problems with it this morning. It's either ridiculously slow or glitchy (freezing, not letting me clear history) or both.

I wanted to see if it's just me or not. :)

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got rid of Firefox because it was having trouble the odd time connecting to sites. It feels like my laptop is slower than it is when using Firefox. I just got rid of it and stuck to using either Chrome or Internet Explorer.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having nothing but problems with it this morning. It's either ridiculously slow or glitchy (freezing, not letting me clear history) or both.

I wanted to see if it's just me or not. :)

No problems here.

All browsers have such problems for some users while not having them for other users.

For Firefox the recommemnded steps are:

Try running in safe mode (disables all extensions among other things). If you don't get the same problems, re-enable extensions one by one until you discover the problem.

If running in safe mode doesn't solve the problem, try creating a new profile. Look this up on the Firefox pages. It will uninstall extensions but still keep passwords, etc.

I ran into Firefox stability problems a while back after several years without them. I finally created a new profile and it's been fine since then.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problems here.

All browsers have such problems for some users while not having them for other users.

For Firefox the recommemnded steps are:

Try running in safe mode (disables all extensions among other things). If you don't get the same problems, re-enable extensions one by one until you discover the problem.

If running in safe mode doesn't solve the problem, try creating a new profile. Look this up on the Firefox pages. It will uninstall extensions but still keep passwords, etc.

I ran into Firefox stability problems a while back after several years without them. I finally created a new profile and it's been fine since then.

I would just point out (because it might confuse some) that you mean Firefox Safe Mode not Windows Safe Mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 28 release of Firefox seems to be connecting to websites at a good speed and rendering them quite quick as well. I'll use it for a couple of days and see if there's any connection issues with it.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Using FF31, it's flying and giving no trouble...
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems with FF here either, v28. :)
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Has been working a long time now for me without any problems.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look @ Comodo Ice dragon browser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The 28 release of Firefox seems to be connecting to websites at a good speed and rendering them quite quick as well. I'll use it for a couple of days and see if there's any connection issues with it.

When I say connecting at a good speed, I just mean that the last release might have had trouble connecting to sites.
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its been slow and buggy for me for a week or so now. Just installed Chrome for the 1st time ever and my PC is flying along now.

Bye bye Firefox and thanks for the last 5 years.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On 28, been crashing a few times over the past week.
  • mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It got slow and buggy for me a little while back. I went to Help -> Troubleshooting and clicked on the Reset Firefox button. All my bookmarks were saved but I had to reinstall any add-ons.

Now it's fine again, even with all the same add-ons installed that I had before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been using Firefox, release 28, for a day now and it's been almost fine. I had one crash where it just closed altogether but apart from that, it's been fine. Pages have continued to load quite quick on my laptop. It doesn't feel quite as light as Chrome when I'm browsing sites, but it's getting there with this release though. If the creators of this browser want to take the crown again, they'll have to do some more improvements in the speed department. They'll also have to fix some bugs as well judging from a few posts in this thread, and the crash I experienced as well.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on the verge of just getting rid of firefox, had nothing but trouble the last week from it. Chrome and Opera are fine so i know it's not my pc or connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of just getting rid of firefox, had nothing but trouble the last week from it. Chrome and Opera are fine so i know it's not my pc or connection.

Do you have release 28? This release has been mostly fine for me.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I changed to FF v28 a few weeks ago after having problems with Chrome on my website. FF is not as fast as Chrome, but it seems OK and is stable and reliable on my PC.
    Slightly off topic, I've noticed that since the Daily Mail upgraded their website it loads rather slowly and won't scroll properly until it's done. This happens on Chrome and my. Playbook browser as well.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Do you have release 28? This release has been mostly fine for me.

Yes it's V28 but i think i've got the problem. I had something called iminent protection which turned out to be Malware. After malwarebytes got rid of it for me Firefox has been running smoothly (for now lol).
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Using FF31, it's flying and giving no trouble...
    As the latest Beta version is 29 in UK. I would like to know how you got a V31 of Firefox
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ No idea where they got that from. I prefer to stick with the stable releases anyway.
    Forum Member
    As the latest Beta version is 29 in UK. I would like to know how you got a V31 of Firefox

Once you stop learning you cease existing..... http://nightly.mozilla.org/
  • 2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Once you stop learning you cease existing..... http://nightly.mozilla.org/
    They are only for testing, so I wouldn't recommend using them. if you want a 64bit version of Firefox why not try Waterfox. https://waterfox.codeplex.com/releases/view/120427
    Forum Member
    2000motels wrote: »
    They are only for testing, so I wouldn't recommend using them. if you want a 64bit version of Firefox why not try Waterfox. https://waterfox.codeplex.com/releases/view/120427

I've used Waterfox for quite a while and it's still there should I need it. However, I am happy using the Nightly versions and realise they are test beds, if no one used them they wouldn't get tested. ;-) Not sure they need any recommendation. I've not had any issues with them, although the constant updates might not be for everyone.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How much grot have you got on your system? Msconfig is useful to find out what begins on start up. I got rid of a lot of stuff as it was a resource hog and took ages for the webpages to come up.

I also closed certain extensions.