Options

The Undateables.

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Never watched this before but, as nothing else grabbed me, put it on last night. This programme is based around singles who, because of differing problems, find it difficult to 'find love'. I know these people choose to appear on the show but, from the outset, I found it cringeworthy, and exploiting individuals who, to be blunt, didn't really have the mental capacity to realise the effectd of what they were doing, apart from the lady with tourettes. Another young woman, with some form of downs, had been engaged twice, and was looking to get married. It showed her going to a bridal shop, trying on dresses, and she didn't even have a boyfriend. She was set up on a blind date, with a man with 'mild' - more extreme, imo - learning difficulties. On the date, she mentioned wanting to marry him which, of course, would scare any guy. When they met a second time, he told her he wasn't ready for marriage, but would she be his girlfriend. She was calling him baby, telling him how she had missed him - all after one date! These young people were made to look desperate. The guy looking for a girlfriend, was autistic. He joined a dating agency, and met an attractive girl of 19. He told her "you're wearing clothes. Do you like your clothes?" The guy did have mental problems yet, by virtue of the show, he just looked like an idiot. I felt heart sorry for both of them. Both lived with their parents, did they not try and stop them going on the show?
This was trash tv at it's very worst. These young people were not mentally competent to be able to make their own decisions and were, imo, taken advantage of by producers who highlighted their insecurities. Shameful. I won't be watching again.