PC upgrades

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
Forum Member
Hi all

I am in the process of upgrading my gaming pc. It is connected to the tv s o don't need monitor. Here is what I have so far

I5 4570 3.2
1600 ddr3 8gb 2x4
Msi gtx 770 2gb
180gb os hdd 7200
2tb media hdd 7200
Msi motherboard the model I can't remember at the mo
Coolermaster thunder 750w psu
Xb1 controller
Wireless keyboard and mouse . Microsoft 4000 , not good I know

What else can I add, I am looking at a hardware refresh every 3 to 5 years for playing games and media

I was thinking Ssd and 8gb more ram. Any suggestions guys

Cheers

Comments

• The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connected to the TV, which speakers are you using? just a headset, sound through HDMI to TV, or if you have a sound system you'll want either a motherboard with optic out or buy a sound card.

For sure get 16GB memory. As 8 is kind of minimum right now with the high end games.

You must get an SSD or 2, they are so much better than HDD. If you can afford it get an SSD for OS+programs and an SSD for games.
    My OS+programs is on my 240GB SSD, after a year its at 142GB full of total 232GB.

XBox1 controller, have you seen the new nvidia shield controller? Looks similar to the XB1 controller:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohrddwVQqg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    The_One wrote: »
    Connected to the TV, which speakers are you using? just a headset, sound through HDMI to TV, or if you have a sound system you'll want either a motherboard with optic out or buy a sound card.

For sure get 16GB memory. As 8 is kind of minimum right now with the high end games.

You must get an SSD or 2, they are so much better than HDD. If you can afford it get an SSD for OS+programs and an SSD for games.
    My OS+programs is on my 240GB SSD, after a year its at 142GB full of total 232GB.

XBox1 controller, have you seen the new nvidia shield controller? Looks similar to the XB1 controller:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohrddwVQqg

Motherboard has optics and it's connected to a Panasonic 5.1 1000w surround sound

I can get the memory and Ssd this month and maybe an Ssd for me steam games the month after. Is there anything else? What about cooling? I have a gtx 770 oc edition but haven't tried over clocking it yet. CPU is locked though.
  • jkainjkain Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's debatable whether you need an SSD for gaming. It may depend on what games you are playing, and if you have a lot it will fill up fast. You will see an improvement in loading times, and disk accessing if the game does it a lot, but for general game-play (frame rates etc) there won't be a difference. I personally have a 256GB Samsung SSD for OS and programs, and a 2TB sata 3 hard-drive which holds my steam library (currently around 450GB), and everything zips along nicely.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Ssd is the way forward and i agree 16GB memory for me should be standard for gaming pc
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need a SSD for gaming unless you care for loading level times, but I can't recommend anything really your build is great, the xbox controller is the best I have ever used on PC it thinks your PC is an xbox it's that much compatible.

Enjoy
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSD is standard for any home PC i build now. Its as useful as a ram upgrade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reason I recommend SSD for games is because I only ever play high end multiplayer online games, such games constantly get patched and often are big patches. Being able to patch as quick as possible is important to me as the patching time is so boring even with SSD.

If you play games that very rarely get patched, like less than once a month or so many months then it dont matter what you get HDD or SSD.

I do remember though, playing games and you advance or change level, you'd hear the HDD turn on / speed up sound ...loading... - there is basically none of that these days, with SSD at least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys

I will start with adding more RAM and if I feel i can justify the cost of a SSD then I will get one.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Just getting an SSD for your main HD is a must I feel. Boot is under a minute for me. You can get gaming faster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spike305 wrote: »
    Thanks guys

I will start with adding more RAM and if I feel i can justify the cost of a SSD then I will get one.

That's how I feel with them a SSD is the kinda upgrade you do when there is nothing else left to do they are never worth the money imo, it's just basically everything loading a little faster they are really boot drives, get your ram first.

Even I don't have one yet and spent so much upgrading :)
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need a SSD for gaming unless you care for loading level times, but I can't recommend anything really your build is great, the xbox controller is the best I have ever used on PC it thinks your PC is an xbox it's that much compatible.

Enjoy

Just a lot prettier on screen ;)
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the differences between the standard HDD and SDD?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can buy a kit that lets you play most games in 3d.Can hit frame rates but I don't think you'll struggle :)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/av-accessories/nvidia-3d-vision-2-1041734/review

Or if your TV is already 3d, Nvidia has special 3d drivers that will work with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking for a new graphics card. The one I have is 512mb nvidia geforce 8800 gts. Its getting on a bit now. I've seen this.http://www.cclonline.com/product/126323/11217-04-20G/Graphics-Cards/Sapphire-Radeon-R9-270X-Dual-X-Overclocked-4GB-Graphics-Card-PCI-E-DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort/VGA1941/ price range is between 150-200. Is this a good card and if not which would be better in that price range.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Looking for a new graphics card. The one I have is 512mb nvidia geforce 8800 gts. Its getting on a bit now. I've seen this.http://www.cclonline.com/product/126323/11217-04-20G/Graphics-Cards/Sapphire-Radeon-R9-270X-Dual-X-Overclocked-4GB-Graphics-Card-PCI-E-DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort/VGA1941/ price range is between 150-200. Is this a good card and if not which would be better in that price range.

A 270x is a great upgrade for such an old card, and the price seems cool after checking some others or there is from the green team the last gen GTX 660 which performers a little lower or the GTX 760 which is a little better.

You should go with a 270x or a 760.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 270x is a great upgrade for such an old card, and the price seems cool after checking some others or there is from the green team the last gen GTX 660 which performers a little lower or the GTX 760 which is a little better.

You should go with a 270x or a 760.

The 2gb version is £125 and some reviews have said there no difference whatsoever between the 2gb and 4. Just hoping I'll only need the card.

The system is
    Intel quad 2 core Q6600 2.4ghz
    4gb ram
    300gb H/D samsung
    Windows vista 32bit.

Was thinking of getting windows 8 and a new H/D at some point.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Just getting an SSD for your main HD is a must I feel. Boot is under a minute for me. You can get gaming faster.

Another vote for SSD here. Your build is good and an SSD as your system will give the whole thing a nice boost. I wouldn't worry too much about RAM unless you're doing lots of multitasking/video editing. MX100s are dirt cheap at the moment.
    What are the differences between the standard HDD and SDD?

HDD is mechanical. It has a platter and a needle has to travel to access the data on that part (think reecord player with a possessed needle arm) SSD is chips which can be accessed at the same time by the controller (with a bunch of caveats) this means no spin up time, very fast data reading/writing and no need to defrag (imagine a record having a song in bits all over one side with needle having to jump about to read it) defragging puts the 'song' in the same place. Not good for SSDs though because if the data is all on one chip, you lose the benefit of reading multiple chips at the same time. There are some buts and actually's and on older SSDs crappy controllers and unreliable hardware gave people a reason to hold off, but this is much less of an issue now, and with the prices as they are at the moment there's really no excuse for an SSD as system with a couple of your favourite games on it (or BF4 sigh...)
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Ssd is the way forward and i agree 16GB memory for me should be standard for gaming pc

How many 64 bit games are around now anyway? I admit I'm a bit out of the loop but last time I looked I couldn't find a single one that wasn't 32bit.

32bit games can't utilize more than 3.1 gb of Ram if they wanted too. Running Skyrim the other day on my 12gb Ram rig I had the game with 100+ mods, a browser with over 100 tabs open, a live TV viewer plus a couple other apps running at the same time with Ram to spare.
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spike305 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am in the process of upgrading my gaming pc. It is connected to the tv s o don't need monitor. Here is what I have so far

I5 4570 3.2
    1600 ddr3 8gb 2x4
    Msi gtx 770 2gb
    180gb os hdd 7200
    2tb media hdd 7200
    Msi motherboard the model I can't remember at the mo
    Coolermaster thunder 750w psu
    Xb1 controller
    Wireless keyboard and mouse . Microsoft 4000 , not good I know

What else can I add, I am looking at a hardware refresh every 3 to 5 years for playing games and media

I was thinking Ssd and 8gb more ram. Any suggestions guys

Cheers

I think your best option at this point would be a better graphics card such as a Sapphire R9 290 tri-X 4GB Vram they're coming down in price currently at £280 at Amazon, was £330+ only a month or two ago. Very tempting...
    The 2gb version is £125 and some reviews have said there no difference whatsoever between the 2gb and 4. Just hoping I'll only need the card.

The system is
    Intel quad 2 core Q6600 2.4ghz
    4gb ram
    300gb H/D samsung
    Windows vista 32bit.

Was thinking of getting windows 8 and a new H/D at some point.

To be honest you really need to be looking at a complete upgrade, thats some ancient hardware/software you have there.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your best option at this point would be a better graphics card such as a Sapphire R9 290 tri-X 4GB Vram they're coming down in price currently at £280 at Amazon, was £330+ only a month or two ago. Very tempting...

Only £260 on Overclockers UK, on pre-order though.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grab a 970/980, phenomenal cards, Nvidia's just killed AMD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, new benchmarks of the 980 GTX is a beast!
    For the extra £100 over the R9 290x the price probably works out about the same (after a year? longer the better) when you consider the electricity usage comparison.

Too bad I have to wait for next generation cards :(
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Reason I recommend SSD for games is because I only ever play high end multiplayer online games, such games constantly get patched and often are big patches. Being able to patch as quick as possible is important to me as the patching time is so boring even with SSD.

If you play games that very rarely get patched, like less than once a month or so many months then it dont matter what you get HDD or SSD.

I do remember though, playing games and you advance or change level, you'd hear the HDD turn on / speed up sound ...loading... - there is basically none of that these days, with SSD at least.

That reason doesn't even make sense because you cant download quicker just because you have an SSD. The cap for you downloading is your internet speed, not your harddrive speed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That reason doesn't even make sense because you cant download quicker just because you have an SSD. The cap for you downloading is your internet speed, not your harddrive speed.
    No. When you download data it doesn't simply just get dumped into a folder as if that's it job done. Its the patcher's job to scan all files on the fly, re-arrange, delete, install all at the same time. An SSD does it much faster.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Grab a 970/980, phenomenal cards, Nvidia's just killed AMD.

This 970 sounds like no joke.
    It doesn't quite hit the enthusiast gamer pricing sweet spot, but it offers so much raw performance that the additional premium makes it seem like a no-brainer. This is a £260 product that can beat cards that were retailing for almost double the price just a few months ago. Put simply, it's a radical shake-up of price vs performance in the gaming graphics space, and a remarkable product from a company that more usually adopts a premium pricing strategy for its top-end wares.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review