Words That People Get Mixed Up

Comments

• felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    People spelling definitely 'defiantly' winds me up beyond belief. I don't understand how somebody can type that and not realise it's wrong.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    People spelling definitely 'defiantly' winds me up beyond belief. I don't understand how somebody can type that and not realise it's wrong.

I feel the same. I understand that people spell it wrongly, but using a completely different word:confused::o

Pisses me off to be honest.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dese_5757 wrote: »
    Asked or axed....really irritates me...it's not I axed him to take me to the store. Unless perhaps he said no and you drove an ax in the top of his head.Although I think it's an American thing...I don't hear it here in Canada, and I doubt you say it in the UK.

Ax? Let me guess, Noah Webster.

Some of his classics which failed, fortunately:

ache ake
    soup soop
    sleigh sley
    sponge spunge
    tongue tung
    cloak cloke
    determine determin
    women wimmen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Ax? Let me guess, Noah Webster.

Some of his classics which failed, fortunately:

ache ake
    soup soop
    sleigh sley
    sponge spunge
    tongue tung
    cloak cloke
    determine determin
    women wimmen

fixed it...really was a mistake from typing too fast :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Of / have
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Asked or axed....really irritates me...it's not I axed him to take me to the store. Unless perhaps he said no and you drove an axe in the top of his head.Although I think it's an American thing...I don't hear it here in Canada, and I doubt you say it in the UK.

I think it is heard in the UK. But it's a dialect thing, not a mix-up. "Ax" as a variant of "ask" goes right back to Chaucer!
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/12/03/248515217/why-chaucer-said-ax-instead-of-ask-and-why-some-still-do
    Forum Member
    Lay and lie. It drives me crazy!!! >:(

You lie down. You lay bricks. You lie in bed. You lay eggs (well ok birds do).

The past tense of "lie" is "lay", so it's correct to say "I lay down yesterday for a while", but it still doesn't sound quite right to me!
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    'Verbal' means 'in words'; the opposite is 'pictorial'.

So a written warning is also a verbal warning.

However, being one of a small number of people who know this, am I communicating at all if I use it in that sense?

Possibly not. I think I've only ever heard "verbal" in the sense of "spoken". I didn't even realise it had another meaning!
    Forum Member
    Oh dear! I've used nearly all of those mistakes especially the compliment/complement one.

It's quite a common mistake. Our local surgery had a website page for "Complimentary Medicine" for quite a while until I persuaded them to change it. They are private treatments and are not free of charge!

Here's one surgery that hasn't yet picked up on the mistake.
    http://www.combedownsurgery.co.uk/Complimentary_Medicine.php
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asked or axed....really irritates me...it's not I axed him to take me to the store. Unless perhaps he said no and you drove an axe in the top of his head.Although I think it's an American thing...I don't hear it here in Canada, and I doubt you say it in the UK.

It usually has to do with accent. They are using ask but due to accent it sounds like axe. Kind of like how you use aboot eh?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disinterested is now sliding over into meaning simply uninterested through its constant misuse – partly I think because the idea of being disinterested, that is, involved in something but impartial towards it, is not a very valuable distinction to many people.

Not a valuable distinction? If I were presenting any sort of case for judgement, I'd like the judge to be definitely disinterested, and definitely not uninterested.
    jjwales wrote: »
    Possibly not. I think I've only ever heard "verbal" in the sense of "spoken". I didn't even realise it had another meaning!

It's not 'another' meaning; it's the original one.

I agree with Rhumbatugger's post - these differences between words are important, and it's a pity that a lot of words are just lumped together into a lesser meaning.
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    It's not 'another' meaning; it's the original one.

It's still another meaning from the one I'm used to!

It's a shame about "disinterested", but doesn't "impartial" fill the gap?
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I noticed one today on the forum....

something was described as 'wreck less' instead of 'reckless'

I have sometimes seen "Pre-madonna" instead of "Prima Donna" :D
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exasperate instead of exacerbate. I've heard (allegedly) educated people on Newsnight repeatedly do this.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's still another meaning from the one I'm used to!

It's a shame about "disinterested", but doesn't "impartial" fill the gap?

It is indeed another meaning.

On your other point, to me "impartial" relates to the parties concerned, while "disinterested" relates to the issue.

That's just me, though; I could be totally wrong.
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lay and lie. It drives me crazy!!! >:(

You lie down. You lay bricks. You lie in bed. You lay eggs (well ok birds do).

You lay birds, too.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »
    Genuinely and generally

Depends, surely?

It generally annoys me. <-- a rule. As in, this sort of thing tends to annoy me.
    It genuinely annoys me. <-- an emphasis. As in, it really/honestly/truly/deeply annoys me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »

What's even more confusing is when they type "I defiantly agree". That is surely oxymoronic, right? If you are being defiant, how can you also agree?
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Depends, surely?

It generally annoys me. <-- a rule. As in, this sort of thing tends to annoy me.
    It genuinely annoys me. <-- an emphasis. As in, it really/honestly/truly/deeply annoys me.

I think the poster meant more when, for example, someone says "I generally mean that" trying to emphasize how genuine they are, but getting it completely wrong!
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Tidosho wrote: »
    This one happens alot.
    :p

Must = internal obligation, 'have to' = external.

In spite of and despite.

Although it's not words, I do get annoyed when people use the semicolon incorrectly.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I think the poster meant more when, for example, someone says "I generally mean that" trying to emphasize how genuine they are, but getting it completely wrong!

Oh, my. I haven't come across that one before. Easy to see why it's listed here. Thanks for that clarification.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Here, here" (instead of "Hear, hear")

Also, I've noticed some people use either when they mean neither:

"I don't like Katie Price"
    "Me either" (instead of "Me neither"/"Neither do I")
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's even more confusing is when they type "I defiantly agree". That is surely oxymoronic, right? If you are being defiant, how can you also agree?

However, I have used the phase "violently agree" for humourous/cynical effect (shamelessly stolen from Drop the Dead Donkey)
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While we're here, "decapitated" doesn't refer to a head, but to that which has LOST its head.