Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade is so cute on instagram, it looks like she and Leigh had a fun time in Japan. It's just as well that the US tour is off as they have been very busy in the studio - going straight into a tour and then promo for the album would have been rather tiring.

I'm excited that the girls are so excited, they do seem to be fully involved in the songwriting and now production. I hope their collaborators spread that message, the girls deserve credibility. It's sensible for all four to have credits when they contribute, it could cause friction if one of them was off sick when they came out with a #smash. Take That share credits equally now despite Gary doing the bulk of the songwriting.
  • ShaynaJayShaynaJay Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if anyone hasn't seen this--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKYYr-7vCu4 BOY from the Japan Summer Sonic Extra concert, it's amazing how quiet the fans go they are so respectful lol
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm excited that the girls are so excited, they do seem to be fully involved in the songwriting and now production. I hope their collaborators spread that message, the girls deserve credibility. It's sensible for all four to have credits when they contribute, it could cause friction if one of them was off sick when they came out with a #smash.

I'm more inclined to believe LM when they say they cowrote something than other acts because they have been pretty transparent with it thru their social media postings, as well as being corroborated by producers. I also think its fair, and wise that they agreed at the beginning, that all 4 get credit, as they all contribute to evolving the songs thru ideas and suggestions even if they arent all setting the lyrics down. Jane Wiedlin's solo credits on their big hits caused the Go-Go's to break up when the group wanted an equal share in the money (which I kind of agree with Wiedlin in that case, since she did completely write it on her own).

I have to say whoever advised them on how to go on in the business at the start really did a good job. The girls did themselves a favor by laying down the rules going forward and not trying to change the game plan midway (re: writing royalties for example).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting close!
    Wings
    Little Mix
  • itsstephitssteph Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    JinJin Official @jinjinofficial · 3h
    Still got that hook in my head @LittleMix @JessGlynne #goodsign #music

I like the sound of this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JinJin Official @jinjinofficial · 3h
    Still got that hook in my head @LittleMix @JessGlynne #goodsign #music
    itssteph wrote: »
    I like the sound of this

Please let it not be a self help song.
    Forum Member
    Please let it not be a self help song.

Oh God, don't put that idea out there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, if it has a great hook, I dont really care what kind of song it is. But I think it would be more palatable for radio if it wasnt.

Ooh look what was posted 2 weeks ago when the first session happened.

@JessGlynne
    I love what we did @LittleMix and @jinjinofficial !!! So much love for all you crazy heads! x

13 Aug 2014
    Forum Member
    I think Little Me has a fantastic hook, personally.

But that song didn't really take the girls anywhere
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really like the sound of their collaborators being impressed/enjoying what they're all coming up with. Let me temper my excitement.

Hopefully, they keep the more obvious self-helpy ones on the album. They're good songs but should not be singles unless they're brilliant and catchy like Wings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically, that self helpiest of self help songs We Are Who We Are wasnt written by LM. It was a Steve Mac/Wayne Hector/Ina Wroldsen (sp) creation.

Also I seem to recall last year that LM said in an interview they would let the label pick the second single. Well girls, dont do that again. You pick it.
  • john1995john1995 Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    i always wish single ladies and crazy in love were LM songs
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically, that self helpiest of self help songs We Are Who We Are wasnt written by LM. It was a Steve Mac/Wayne Hector/Ina Wroldsen (sp) creation.

Also I seem to recall last year that LM said in an interview they would let the label pick the second single. Well girls, dont do that again. You pick it.

They've got a bit of a reputation for self help songs now that it's possible when songwriters are asked to pen a little mix song that translate as write a self help song aimed at young girls. I would like them to try and experiment with different topics, Salute was actually good it that as it did have self help songs, heartbreak, dancing, love & competition. It's just the singles do seen to follow the similar pattern like you've all said. I would like another song like Move, light hearted and fun, can be taken as either a love/infatuation song or just a general get up and dance song.

The messages coming from then re: the studio is really exciting though and I'm still over the moon about the Instagram clips that were amazing.

BTW did anyone ever receive a newsletter? I wonder what that was about.
  • AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would LOVE for them to shock everyone and go completely mature with image and song content for the next album.

That Salute artwork was the start of something, I think.

Especially after Salute being they're most mature and sexualised video and song, SYCO should know they can cater to a mature audience now.

I really think the self-help songs won't be singles anymore. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me lmao.
  • Melissa.Melissa. Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the same, I think Little Me was only chosen because SYCO thought they weren't ready to throw away that core audience they had yet.

But come on, they're in their early 20s. It's time to stop the self help songs now.

They're young adults. You've got 17 year olds with maturer content in their songs than LM does sometimes. :blush:

After Salute doing so well post album. The label should have learnt a lesson.

It's crazy because they're lyrics don't match they're personalities. Any fan will know the girls are cheeky and inappropriate. Why does that not reflect in their music?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melissa. wrote: »
    I feel the same, I think Little Me was only chosen because SYCO thought they weren't ready to throw away that core audience they had yet.

But come on, they're in their early 20s. It's time to stop the self help songs now.

They're young adults. You've got 17 year olds with maturer content in their songs than LM does sometimes. :blush:

After Salute doing so well post album. The label should have learnt a lesson.

It's crazy because they're lyrics don't match they're personalities. Any fan will know the girls are cheeky and inappropriate. Why does that not reflect in their music?

As you mentioned, the label had confusion about whether they would alienate their core audience if they didn't release a self help song, which is stupid.

They need to take risks with they're lyrical content. Spice it up a bit. Be more bold and brash.

Cute and nice won't sell right now. Especially for females in the music industry.
  • DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLC: Unpretty? Sugababes: Ugly? They did well for their careers. You're never too old to wrote inspiring songs, if anything older people are perfect to write those songs because they're the ones with life experience. Echoing what CV said it's doesn't really matter what the concept of their song is as long as it has a catchy hook and melody.

Edit: After their performance of Little me on Sunday Brunch a grown woman thanked me for directing her to their itunes page so she could buy the song, she was impressed.

I get it though, the girls are literally on the brink of being really big so as fans we start to nitpick every little thing that we think is holding them back some could be true but some are a non issue, their main issue is they just need better songs that's it, weather it's sexual, inspiring, about love, about aeroplanes put it behind a great beat and you've got a hit. I believe those inspiring songs will be what will give them credibility and substance as it's hard to be taken seriously as a girl group but the songs need to be great, they haven't done that yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DreC wrote: »
    TLC: Unpretty? Sugababes: Ugly? They did well for their careers. You're never too old to wrote inspiring songs where does that mentality come from. If anything older people are perfect to write those songs because they're the ones with life experience. Echoing what CV said it's doesn't really matter what the concept of their song is as long as it has a catchy hook and melody.

Edit: After their performance of Little me on Sunday Brunch a grown woman thanked me for directing her to their itunes page so she could buy the song, she was impressed.

Little Me had a great hook. But it was so dreary and depressing. The video made it worse. It's officially the worst video they've done, it didn't garner any interest whatsoever.

Wings was a great upbeat, bright inspiration number. But they can't be reverting back to that again. It's still lacking maturity.

I mean self help targetting to teenagers. Not all teenagers need to be saved, it's offensive that they think that. They're label need to stop using LM for that reason.

Unpretty and Ugly were late 90s/early 2000s. I don't see any self help songs of that nature selling really well in the charts now.

I just think they have more to offer lyrically. They're not expanding their horizons, I think Jade more than anyone is too shy to explore beyond the inspirational content in their song lyrics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what that announcement is going to be.

They've said nothing about it, since they tweeted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Me was a reflective song so in terms of its lyrics it was the right time to write and release considering they have got through the teenage years their twitter fans seem to be in the throws of. But it didn't need to be a post-album single, non-fans weren't going to lap it up. They should have performed Little Me on Surprise Surprise and Xtra Factor like they did These Four Walls, maybe a Sunday brunch show as well. And then released Towers as their ballad. But oh well, it seems to be a favourite amongst their young fans and those are the ones that buy concert tickets and merchandise. It's also been easy production-wise for them to perform it on shows like GMA and Today show.

I hope that they have a lot of songs that they love from which the record label will select the singles - LM won't have final say on it. It sounds like there have been a lot of really exciting sessions with different writers. Aside from Little Me I think the label has done a great job, much better than it has for 1D (whose last 2 singles flopped).

Wondering how soon they'll be recording vocals. It seemed from insta that they've done some already so they could release a single before the album is finished. They should have time next few weeks to shoot a video as well so I'm hopeful they'll put out a single in September, perform it on Palladium, then release another single late October/early Nov before album release (with performance on X Factor).
  • felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    Whos that jinjin? What has she done before?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Me was a reflective song so in terms of its lyrics it was the right time to write and release considering they have got through the teenage years their twitter fans seem to be in the throws of. But it didn't need to be a post-album single, non-fans weren't going to lap it up.

The fact they released a banger like Move which has been their most universally accepted song. They then release Little Me as a single a month after. It doesn't give the general public a good impression of how the album may sound. It was an anti - climax. A Salute-Move punch would have been great to promote the album.

Little Me is a nice song but it was not single worthy of promoting this loud, aggressive tone Salute(Album) had. Thank goodness Salute saved this era and wrapped it all up on a high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact they released a banger like Move which has been their most universally accepted song. They then release Little Me as a single a month after. It doesn't give the general public a good impression of how the album may sound. It was an anti - climax. A Salute-Move punch would have been great to promote the album.

Little Me is a nice song but it was not single worthy of promoting this loud, aggressive tone Salute(Album) had. Thank goodness Salute saved this era and wrapped it all up on a high.

Oh I totally agree. Little Me was a misstep. 2 bangers in a row as with Wings-DNA would have done wonders, they didn't even get two singles in advance of the album. It's a shame they didn't put out a song in September last year. For DNA though they needed to release Change Your Life for fans and also so the general public knew they weren't trying to go too adult so soon after X Factor. I really like the song as well haha. I also like How Ya Doin and the Missy Elliot collab was helpful for promoting the band internationally.

They need good sales on this coming album, two up tempo singles in advance would be best. I'd rather they released in December a week or two after Adele and 1D with 2 singles out than early November with only 1. I've given up on the idea that they'll get #1 album - I'd be content with Top 5 & higher sales than Salute.
  • DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Me had a great hook. But it was so dreary and depressing. The video made it worse. It's officially the worst video they've done, it didn't garner any interest whatsoever.

Wings was a great upbeat, bright inspiration number. But they can't be reverting back to that again. It's still lacking maturity.

I mean self help targetting to teenagers. Not all teenagers need to be saved, it's offensive that they think that. They're label need to stop using LM for that reason.

Unpretty and Ugly were late 90s/early 2000s. I don't see any self help songs of that nature selling really well in the charts now.

I just think they have more to offer lyrically. They're not expanding their horizons, I think Jade more than anyone is too shy to explore beyond the inspirational content in their song lyrics.

You missed out the rest of what I said, the point I'm making is that concepts and themes do not matter when it's behind a great instrumental with a great hook. Little Me and CYL didn't hit the top ten not because they were "self-help" songs, they didn't make it because they weren't great songs to begin with at least not as great as the competition. Being mature doesn't mean you can't write songs to help people they just need to do it better. Nothing LM do with these inspiring messages is anything new it's been done plenty of times before and enjoyed by adults. I remember a song by rapper Ludacris ft Mary J Blige called Runaway Love each verse was a different scenario like CYL but it had a very thought-provoking video and it's still praised.

Mind you I'm not even an advocate for those kinds of songs I'm just trying to show you that isn't the main problem they're having since this isn't first time people have brought up this topic.

Overall I just want great music, If a song makes the public dance, cry or think deeply then you're onto a winner.

Edit: Another thing despite fans mixed feelings towards their songs I love that all their singles have gotten good reviews from critics
  • felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    I think their album mightve been much closer to platinum if their third single was an album track as well...
This discussion has been closed.