Gary McKinnon countdown to possible extradition to the US

1151617181921»

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Seriously. I've been trying to make sense of bobobacon's thread title since Tuesday. :confused:

Lol, I don't bother any more! It gave me a headache.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-disappointed-by-laughable-decision-on-gary-mckinnon-8214116.html
    Douglas McNabb, a Washington-based expert on US federal law, said that US authorities may yet decide to pursue Mr McKinnon via Interpol, the international policing body. "Now that the Home Secretary has made this decision that, of course, bars the US from seeking his extradition, I think the next step is that they may well ask Interpol to issue a red notice... so that if Mr McKinnon were to travel outside the UK, the red notice would pop up and he would be arrested," he said. This, he explained, would open the door to the possibility of renewed extradition proceedings in the country of his arrest.

sour grapes eh
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »

Well that would be fair enough. It's no real hardship not to travel abroad.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Well that would be fair enough. It's no real hardship not to travel abroad.

True. I know many people spend their whole lives without travelling out of the country, but to essentially banish him from any international travel is certainly an over-reaction.

Although I suppose it would be interesting to find out what the burden of proof would be for Interpol to actually issue said notice.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. I know many people spend their whole lives without travelling out of the country, but to essentially banish him from any international travel is certainly an over-reaction.

Although I suppose it would be interesting to find out what the burden of proof would be for Interpol to actually issue said notice.

That, in itself, would be an interesting exercise to watch. I think the yanks should leave it as it stands. I've never understood why we have extradition treaties with any country that has the death penalty, 99 year sentences, etc. We'd kick up a right stink if it was a Third World country with an equally antediluvian legal system and never extradite any British citizen there... what's the difference?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two long interviews Gary did here:

Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4PkNPCEnJM
    Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNsah-0vpY
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    One thing I will say on a thread that's annoying me huge

My autistic son also has dyspraxia and combined type ADHD

At 9 he was sat next to his teacher yet when faced with the net he thought about the film we watched 2 nights before - lord of the rings. He then (despite them knowing his ADHD was impulsive) got in trouble. To this day he doesn't understand why!

So kind of I can see why the bloke didn't see it was wrong

I hate though the use off any ASD diagnosis as an excuse. I and my son work towards fitting in and always will as it is what HE wants. This case hasn't moved ASD people forward.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Ps trouble caused as he searched dwarves
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's just as much an example of bad teaching imho. If you put a child in front of a search engine of course they're going to possibly type in subjects that interest them.

I think Gary knew what he was doing was wrong, I don't think there has ever been a claim he didn't. Watch the interviews I posted, they're interesting. This isn't a chap who stumbled into a situation. He knew exactly what he was doing but felt he had the justification for doing it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    One thing I will say on a thread that's annoying me huge

My autistic son also has dyspraxia and combined type ADHD

At 9 he was sat next to his teacher yet when faced with the net he thought about the film we watched 2 nights before - lord of the rings. He then (despite them knowing his ADHD was impulsive) got in trouble. To this day he doesn't understand why!

So kind of I can see why the bloke didn't see it was wrong

I hate though the use off any ASD diagnosis as an excuse. I and my son work towards fitting in and always will as it is what HE wants. This case hasn't moved ASD people forward.

It is the attitudes of other people that hasn't helped, it has nothing to do with what Gary has done.

Too many people believe he has used his condition, while other people don't even believe he had the condition in the first place.

That is what is wrong with this case.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    These hackneyed analogies are so tiresome. They're always a complete strawman argument and should be ignored in the context of reasoned debate..

Not at all.

Brooklyn Boy's analogy is apposite and he makes some very good points. If you think he's making a strawman agrument, it should be easy for you to point out why this is so.