Options

Gunman in Plymouth attempts to rob - gets killed by members of the public

Comments

• Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Totally agree.Maybe the punters(usually half pissed) decided on a bit of mob justice.Wouldn't be surprised.

i imagine if the armed police turned up they would likely have shot him dead. but them's the brakes when you go around behaving recklessly and criminally like that you usually end up dead somehow
  • Options
    potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I know this is a serious thread but I thought of this after reading the thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq_nNxythzo
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Any **** that decides it's a good idea to rob someone with a gun (imitation or not) deserves any punishment inflicted upon them. No sympathy here.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    i imagine if the armed police turned up they would likely have shot him dead. but them's the brakes when you go around behaving recklessly and criminally like that you usually end up dead somehow

I'm pretty sure armed police would give somebody a chance to surrender before shooting them.
    And if they did shoot the person they wouldn't be entitled to shoot him again to finish him off if he survived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure armed police would give somebody a chance to surrender before shooting them.
    And if they did shoot the person they wouldn't be entitled to shoot him again to finish him off if he survived.

i dunno the guy is probably stupid enough to shoot or at least point the gun at the police as well and wouldnt heed their warning.

and with several armed police officers shooting just once each would probably have ended his life without even getting to the stage of pumping bullets into his body when he was prone

either way i'm saying he's put himself and other peoples lives in danger through his own reckless behavior. its like meh he's dead, what does he expect when he acts recklessly like this
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have thought it was accidental.

Chances are he would be on his front not on his back, somebody more likely jumped him from behind if he had a gun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    i dunno the guy is probably stupid enough to shoot or at least point the gun at the police as well and wouldnt heed their warning.

and with several armed police officers shooting just once each would probably have ended his life without even getting to the stage of pumping bullets into his body when he was prone

either way i'm saying he's put himself and other peoples lives in danger through his own reckless behavior. its like meh he's dead, what does he expect when he acts recklessly like this

Yeah but, again, if somebody's shot and killed while they're a threat that's fair enough.

If it turns out this person died of multiple injuries or was suffocated then it's a slightly different story.
    If he did suffocate as a result of somebody sitting on him it's probably an accident but if he was, say, kicked to death that's pure sadistic savagery.

Wonder what the CCTV will reveal?
    Don't all bookies have CCTV these days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what the CCTV will reveal?
    Don't all bookies have CCTV these days?

think so, a lot of money exchanges hands in these places. he probably thought its easier to rob than a bank. perhaps a stereotype but arent these places usually populated by the 'hardmen' type? he wasnt betting on people taking action :eek:
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that these people didnt use "excessive" force, and no action is taken.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    How about if somebody "held him down" by placing their hand over the gas mask's air intake?

What are the odds on that happening?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »

What's "excessive" force if someone's waving a gun in your face?
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    ruffles wrote: »
    they might of just sat on him while waiting for the police and didnt realise he couldnt breathe in cos of the gas mask.

That is the most likely thing.

It's fairly easy to accidentally badly hurt someone whilst restraining them if you don't know what you're doing. especially if your adrenaline is high and you're scared.
    IIRC it's one of the reasons you sometimes see 4+ police officers restraining a single person, it's not because they're trying to hurt him, but because they're trying to restrain the suspect safely.

The chances are good that no one will even be charged for this as it sounds like a fairly clear cut case of self defence and appropriate force, assuming no one kept kicking him or anything silly once he was down, and even that could be discounted in court given the circumstances, despite the DM and Sun's reporting, the law on self defence in the UK gives a vast amount of leeway for things happening without time to think.

Unfortunately it will be counted as a death in custody as the guy died after contact with police, so will be another stat some idiot will use to "prove" how bad the police are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are the odds on that happening?

About the same as somebody "suffocating themselves", I'd think.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this has a similar outcome.

If you walk into a shop threatening people with a gun, you deserve everything you get if those people fight back.

This, basically. The same as someone breaking into your home. These people must realise that as soon as they decide they are going to break the law and threaten lives (with real or replica weapons) then they cross that boundary that allows them certain rights. It is THEIR choice, and they should realise what the consequences COULD be. This man should have been at home with his family, not attempting armed robbery. He died. Tough shit.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »

Who cares if they did, a dead scrote is always preferable to a dead innocent bystander.

It's stories like this that make me smile on a crap day, no sympathy for the scrote at all.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Depends what they did. I hope nobody went overboard.

I just don't want anyone to get into trouble over someone as worthless as they were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will almost certainly be CCTV.
    At the end of the day if the CPS does decide to prosecute anyone here, it is the jury that will get to decide whether they acted reasonably or not. And juries consist of normal people like you and me, not agents of the state like police officers, judges and prosecutors.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have thought it was accidental.

Chances are he would be on his front not on his back, somebody more likely jumped him from behind if he had a gun.

That's what I would have thought. When I heard it on the radio I just assumed it was entirely accidental; only really thought about the possibility of it being deliberate while reading this thread, and it still seems far less likely to me.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange, you would think that someone would have attempted to remove his gas mask?

Armed robber tackled and restrained on the ground, a good job no-one gave him a good kicking ...
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he suffocated because the gas mask air entry point was cut off due to him being held down.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also if someone were sitting on him his breathing would have been further restricted.

I wonder where such a person, if they existed, would stand on a manslaughter charge?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% guaranteed it will be on CCTV. I suspect the most logical explanation is probably what actually happened - he was face down on the floor and they just sat on him until the police arrived.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Strange, you would think that someone would have attempted to remove his gas mask?
    Yes, because it happens every day at our local bookies.

Armed men are always coming in wearing gas masks. Nobody panics, no rush of adrenalin or excitement and everyone knows exactly what to do in order to disarm the robber and ensure his safety at the same time.

Strange that it went a bit wrong in Plymouth.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Unless you are a Brazillian, of course.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the robber had a heart attack?