How to lose a cold in 3 days?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I desperately need help. I am going on holiday on Friday (my 1st for 10 years) and need to get rid of a nasty cold. Any miracle tips/cures?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive does of vitamin c. Look it up. You can buy vitamin c from Holland and Barrett
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of vitamin C, and rest. You can get high dose vit c supplements too, if you are desperate nip to your pharmacy and get some.

It will likely be a lot better by Thursday ( I'd have assumed anyway), so by Friday you'll feel a lot better.

Take some cold/flu tablets too, they'll help relieve the runny nose etc.

Sorry, no real miracle tip :o but the above will help.

I hope you have a lovely holiday, and that your cold gets better before. Going anywhere nice? If its somewhere hot that will help too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. A friend suggested taking vit C hourly as there are no side effects from overdosing on it. is this true?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Mississippi so it will be very hot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    I use echinacea, it's a herbal thing. I don't know if it's placebo or if it actually works. What I find is that it's best taken as I get the first sign of a cold and it wards it off. I'll also take it if my wife gets a cold to try and prevent me getting it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing you can do but wait it out. Vitamin C has been tested, tested and re-tested for years and there has been absolutely no evidence found that it prevents or allieves cold symptoms (feel free to google around on this, it's an old wives tale)

You should never take very high doses of anything. Vitamin C overdose would be >2000mg in one day, can lead to kidney stones or other GI problems.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a cold at the beginning of March and i am STILL coughing up small bits of flem to date!
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in day 3 of a cold and feeling rough, mostly down to the fact I haven't slept well for nights due to blocked nose/sore throat/temperature.
    I try and take it easy, plenty to drink and lemsips. Its a time thing though and I hope to feel a bit better tomorrow.........and that the OP feels better on Friday.
    If there is a miracle cure to colds I'd love to know, they always get me down and I worry when it goes onto my chest - when I feel anxious and panicky.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. A friend suggested taking vit C hourly as there are no side effects from overdosing on it. is this true?
    That isn't true. Excessive levels of vitamin C are likely to lead to diarrhea.

Would you drink 8 pints or fresh orange juice a day? :o :eek:

No but seriously, I double up on my multivitamins for 3-4 days when I feel a cold coming on to help try and keep it at bay/stop it evolving in to a mammoth cold. But taking any kind of vitamin/supplement hourly/every hour is daft. Your body can only absorb so much (which is why it is hard to 'overdose' on in the conventional sense of the word overdose), but all that happens when you've reached the maximum your body can/will absorb is you pee and shit the rest out. Sorry to be blunt. So it'd be a waste of time and money taking them hourly.

And probably lead to a very sore arse.

EDIT TO ADD: I am a vegetarian who doesn't eat vegetables (:o)... so I do genuinely think I benefit from doubling up my multivitamins for 3-4 days in times of urgent need. But hourly is ridiculous.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When sniffles and sneezes come on, I eat as much ginger and garlic as I physically can (incorporating it into that day's meals) and, without wishing to promote old wives' tales, it seems 9 times out of 10 that I'm 'cured' by the next day. Of course, a massive garlic intake might not seem the most ideal remedy with a pending social situation to enter into :(
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    I use echinacea, it's a herbal thing. I don't know if it's placebo or if it actually works. What I find is that it's best taken as I get the first sign of a cold and it wards it off. I'll also take it if my wife gets a cold to try and prevent me getting it.

I take Echinacea, and it seems to shorten the life of a cold, and also reduce the severity. I don't think it's been clinically tested, but my whole family swear by it.

Vicks nasal spray is an absolute godsend for a good nights decongested sleep as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I desperately need help. I am going on holiday on Friday (my 1st for 10 years) and need to get rid of a nasty cold. Any miracle tips/cures?

I'm not a 'brand' pusher but..... I was recommended Actifed tablets by a colleague at work and it was just amazing. Cleared up a dreadful cold with streaming eyes, nose, the lot in three days flat. I also took one double strength lemsip at night before bed. Chat to your pharmacist to see if they agree that it doesnt interfere with any other meds you might be on.
    Its extra important to be clear of a cold when going on a flight coz (not wanting to be unhelpful) it can be very difficult to get your ears to 'pop' when you land.
    Enjoy your holiday:)

Edit:- to add only cost about £3 for the box.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day 1 - Huge dose of Night Nurse. Go to bed and it's Goodnight Vienna - sleep and sweat. A lot.

Day 2. Dont even think about getting up - drift in and out of sleep, hot lemon & honey drinks. Soup and Orange juice if you can face it. Another dose of night nurse & sleep.

Day 3. Wake up a bit groggy and wondering where you've been the last 2 days, but rid of all sniffles & aches. Pad around in PJs, read book, watch crap TV, more Lemon & Honey drinks, toast & soup. Hot toddy at bedtime.

Day 4. Leap out of bed full of the joys of spring. Pack for holiday :)