And the 1985 daily mirror special when football was banned on tv
Anybody else got some old vhs footie gems

That's assuming you still have a vhs player btw :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a DVD/Video combi, and I still have a lot of VHS tapes in a cupboard.

Must dig them out and reminisce - Have one tape with Lee Sharp doing the Sharpy shuffle and dancing with the corner flag.

Thanks for the reminder. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Currently going tho some old footie vhs among others
    I have motd 60s/70s and 80/s and 101 Great goals
    And the 1985 daily mirror special when football was banned on tv
    Anybody else got some old vhs footie gems

That's assuming you still have a vhs player btw :rolleyes:

Can you digitize that and stick it on YouTube? That would be superb to see!

I had the MOTD ones, I got Best and Marsh videos for Christmas a couple of years in the 90s but got fed up of them, they were all Liverpool/Man U orientated.

I won a Euro 1992 Official Film from a World Soccer competition, that's quite good.

I transferred them all to DVD and threw the vids away, not even second hand shops want them now.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have any tapes, but i do sometimes watch old matches on the tv.

It's quite eye opening to see how ordinary, or even poor, the overall standard was decades ago.
    The European Cup final between Villa and Bayern Munich was an absolute shocker! It's like watching a rubbish championship game.
    Also, the attendance at the game was unbelievable! Played in a small stadium, but it was still thousands short of capacity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dixon wrote: »
    I don't have any tapes, but i do sometimes watch old matches on the tv.

It's quite eye opening to see how ordinary, or even poor, the overall standard was decades ago.
    The European Cup final between Villa and Bayern Munich was an absolute shocker! It's like watching a rubbish championship game.
    Also, the attendance at the game was unbelievable! Played in a small stadium, but it was still thousands short of capacity.

I've never seen that game. I don't think I'll bother. :D

I did though see an ancient Cup Winners Cup final on YouTube, Dynamo Tbilisi v somebody I'd never heard of, and Tbilisi looked really good. But again, the crowd looked like 10,000 or less, for a European Final!! :eek:
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen that game. I don't think I'll bother. :D
    :

Believe me, cleaning a blocked sink is more enjoyable than that game.:D

Peter Wythe was named man of the match after scoring the only goal of the game.
    The ball bounced off his shin into the net from about 2 yeards out. That really was the highlight of the game.
    :D
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Does anybody on here remember a bill episode called playing away about I infiltrating a hooligan gang by going undercover
    Sure the ground used is Stamford bridge?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anybody on here remember a bill episode called playing away about I infiltrating a hooligan gang by going undercover
    Sure the ground used is Stamford bridge?

Ohh, 'Britannia Mania'. I was a huge Bill fan back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqeexdNZ55c
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Had loads of old tapes and ended up losing quite a few over the years when moving houses quite a few times. Still got the '94 FA Cup final against Chelsea on tape and still a bunch of stuff for the '96 final against Liverpool, which was an unbelievably dull game after all the great build up, up until 'that' moment.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the start of Barcelona Liverpool from 2001 recorded on vhs, then for some reason it cuts out and goes on to an episode of Corrie- its the episode where Sally jilts that Danny guy because she slept with Kevin before his wedding, in case anyone asks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I have the start of Barcelona Liverpool from 2001 recorded on vhs, then for some reason it cuts out and goes on to an episode of Corrie- its the episode where Sally jilts that Danny guy because she slept with Kevin before his wedding, in case anyone asks

Kevin in corrie that could be worth something. Lol
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin in corrie that could be worth something. Lol

Yes, back in the day before Kevin and Ken's dark secret was exposed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Yes, back in the day before Kevin and Ken's dark secret was exposed

That they're Manchester United fans.

Anything else about them is sub judice... ;)
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    Still got old vhs tapes some stashed away in a cupboard from the late 80s up to mid 90s i think. Mainly Chelsea end of season reviews, but also some 'Goals Galore' tapes, and a couple for Italia '90.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have/had thousands of vhs tapes, had to get rid of them but I kept the top hundred or so, to be honest it is possible to get most stuff on dvd anyway. I think dvd is fantastic, much better than video tape even though I am an oldie. Sort of. I don`t get it when people say they prefer video/vinyl to dvd/cd. Dvd copies do not deteriorate, whereas anything over a second generation vhs copy is pretty awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I have/had thousands of vhs tapes, had to get rid of them but I kept the top hundred or so, to be honest it is possible to get most stuff on dvd anyway. I think dvd is fantastic, much better than video tape even though I am an oldie. Sort of. I don`t get it when people say they prefer video/vinyl to dvd/cd. Dvd copies do not deteriorate, whereas anything over a second generation vhs copy is pretty awful.

Dvd is much superior to video. The only reason i kept any of my old vhs tapes is because they were either ones that weren't available on Dvd, or they were ones i wasn't bothered enough about buying again (especially seeing as you can't even sell the vhs tapes nowadays). Anything i particularly liked and wanted on Dvd i bought again.

Vinyl is a whole different kettle of fish in my opinion though. I can understand why many people do prefer Cd, but vinyl has a lot of charm with it's warm analogue sound. Also there's a lot of nostalgia attached for me, as i used to DJ in clubs, and always preferred those days of more hands-on mixing with vinyl.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have plenty of VHS', and they sometimes get an airing or two! :D

Goals of the 87/88 season (from a Man Utd perspective) is good, as is the 1990's title winning season reviews! :D

There are lots that you just cannot buy on DVD/blue ray, so it is good to have these.

For some unknown reason I bought Kevin Phillips' thirty goal season on VHS for about 25p from a charity shop, just because it was cheap! :D:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dvd is much superior to video. The only reason i kept any of my old vhs tapes is because they were either ones that weren't available on Dvd, or they were ones i wasn't bothered enough about buying again (especially seeing as you can't even sell the vhs tapes nowadays). Anything i particularly liked and wanted on Dvd i bought again.

Vinyl is a whole different kettle of fish in my opinion though. I can understand why many people do prefer Cd, but vinyl has a lot of charm with it's warm analogue sound. Also there's a lot of nostalgia attached for me, as i used to DJ in clubs, and always preferred those days of more hands-on mixing with vinyl.

Isn't there a sort of nostalgia associated with VHS', and to a lesser extent Beetamax?
    I know there is for myself anyway, as that is what I used to watch growing up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't there a sort of nostalgia associated with VHS', and to a lesser extent Beetamax?

Quite possibly. I was talking from my own perspective really. There's certainly a lot of nostalgia for me with playing old video games though. Apart from the present day FIFA/Pro Evo games which I love, overall i'd rather play a Sega Megadrive or SNES than an Xbox 360 or PS3 any day of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You have to be at least 45 remember but the very first vcr
    Was advertised before the 1974 world cup in Germany
    Price was incidentally £1,500 which very few people had thanks to a Tory government. Now where have I seen that before ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite possibly. I was talking from my own perspective really. There's certainly a lot of nostalgia for me with playing old video games though. Apart from the present day FIFA/Pro Evo games which I love, overall i'd rather play a Sega Megadrive or SNES than an Xbox 360 or PS3 any day of the week.

Oh I love retro games! :D

Super Mario Kart on the SNES is and will always be my favourite version! :D

A bit like Sonic will always be best on the Mega Drive! :D

Ahh those were the days, when gameplay was king, and graphics were just a nice tag on! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to be at least 45 remember but the very first vcr
    Was advertised before the 1974 world cup in Germany
    Price was incidentally £1,500 which very few people had thanks to a Tory government. Now where have I seen that before ;)

I grew up on Beetamax's as my dad had loads of them, plus a recorder which he used to record on to blank tapes!

Then we had a mix machine of both Beetamax/VHS, then finally we made the move to just a VHS player.

Those were the days!
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have a few i watched quite often until my VHS packed up a couple of years ago and they had to go.
    Still watch 'The Big Match' on Sky sometimes and enjoy it but how things have changed.
    Cracking theme tune though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFi_7yd1vs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I grew up on Beetamax's as my dad had loads of them, plus a recorder which he used to record on to blank tapes!

Then we had a mix machine of both Beetamax/VHS, then finally we made the move to just a VHS player.

Those were the days!

I used to love our first vhs front loader put tape in set record start and finish and tournaments had the option of instant record I recorded and still have the entire live aid concert on 5 vhs tapes (Inc Bobs rant) which is not in any DVD
    All 16 hours from 12 pm to (gmt) to 5Am Philadelphia time
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's always comforting to watch a victory after your team have lost:p
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first video was a Philips N1700, it cost a lot but it was brilliant. I got it in 1979 and only had a couple of blank tapes, huge they were, which I used over and over again. I taped the 1979 FA Cup Final, fantastic entertainment. It was such a novelty at the time. The old boy lasted me a long time, finally croaking a couple of years ago. :cry: