Options

England v costa Rica on ITV4

Comments

• Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    As I understand it Costa Rica are not yet guaranteed top place in the group, and they will want to avoid Colombia, so it isn't a friendly.
    Costa Rica can't be caught they have 6 points Uruguay have 3 Italy 3 and last games us between uruguay / Italy who can only get 6 points. And as cr beat both Italy/Uruguay
    They can't be caught
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Costa Rica can't be caught they have 6 points Uruguay have 3 Italy 3 and last games us between uruguay / Italy who can only get 6 points. And as cr beat both Italy/Uruguay
    They can't be caught

Not true. It comes down to goal difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    corh5 wrote: »
    Correct, goal difference could still play a part.

Wrong it's on head to head results
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul254 wrote: »
    It is, and we will stand by our boys and cheer them on to hopefully exit with a victory!!!

Don't be daft, Costa Rica will put at least 6 past us :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Not true. It comes down to goal difference.

Head to head
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Head to head

No it doesn't. Goal difference, then goals scored, then head to head, then drawing of lots.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    What if England score about nine goals?:confused:
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't be caught
    Wrong it's on head to head results
    Head to head

Doesn't matter how many times you say it, it's still wrong.

Goal difference and goals scored count before head-to-head results do.
    What if England score about nine goals?:confused:
    Doesn't make a difference. We'd need Italy and Uruguay to both lose, which can't happen since they're playing each other. England are eliminated.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Definitely goal difference. Also as far as Euro 2016 goes, we need to qualify first........
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Let's not forget that the reason we got an awful group this time around was due to our poor FIFA ranking. We've already lost two competitive games so we really need a win against Costa Rica to avoid slipping further for Euro 2016.

A win loss or draw will make basically no difference in four years time because of the weighting the rankings apply to results based on how recent they are. Also we didn't really get a tough group because of a poor ranking our ranking is pretty good, it was mostly the bad luck of Italy getting drawn with us (and Costa Rica, who knew?). We would have had to have been miles better to get one of the 8 seeded spaces. Likewise, as long as we qualify well we will comfortably be a top seed for the next Euros, if we struggle in qualifying then the result against Costa Rica won't help us.

France had a much worse ranking than us and have got a great group.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Definitely goal difference. Also as far as Euro 2016 goes, we need to qualify first........

There isn't much danger us failing to qualify. Even an England team made up of Championship players would qualify from the group we are in.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Costa rica will win group no matter what their goal difference is
    +3 Italy 0 Uruguay -1 so not likely is it ;-)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There isn't much danger us failing to qualify. Even an England team made up of Championship players would qualify from the group we are in.
    You could have said the same in 2008
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    You could have said the same in 2008

Easier qualification this time round, 23 places up for grabs (and France not involved) compared to 14 places (and two weak hosts who may not have qualified as of right).
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares what side it's on? England will get higher viewing figures but I imagine the Italy game will also see a healthy amount of viewers too. I'll be watching the Italy game as it's fascinatingly poised. Watching England beat Costa Rica would just make things more frustrating for me

Not watching England play in what is total nothing match is not 'fickle' either. For many fans it will just bring more torment and there's not even a chance of happiness at the end of it. England are out. It's finished. If a World Cup qualification decider of Italy v Uruguay was on at the same time as an England friendly millions of people would watch the former and that's the exact situation we are in now. England winning is irrelevant as is them losing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I will not be watching the England game, absolute zero interest. We had a works outing planned at the local sports bar but now none of us can be bothered. I'm not angry with our team, they tried but we are simply not good enough. I don't know anyone who is interested in this meaningless game.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    I will not be watching the England game, absolute zero interest. We had a works outing planned at the local sports bar but now none of us can be bothered. I'm not angry with our team, they tried but we are simply not good enough. I don't know anyone who is interested in this meaningless game.

I can't understand why people would watch it other than through a sense of patriotism or maybe getting the chance to see the next overrated crop of youngsters get a game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I can't understand why people would watch it other than through a sense of patriotism or maybe getting the chance to see the next overrated crop of youngsters get a game.
    Will probably be watched by the people that say we were unlucky or had a tough group or any other excuses they care to trawl out. I think a lot of us have accepted this exit in a fairly expected matter of fact way, but make no mistake the future of the England team is in a terrible state. The smaller footballing nations are putting us to shame and things will only get worse.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares what side it's on? England will get higher viewing figures but I imagine the Italy game will also see a healthy amount of viewers too. I'll be watching the Italy game as it's fascinatingly poised. Watching England beat Costa Rica would just make things more frustrating for me

Not watching England play in what is total nothing match is not 'fickle' either. For many fans it will just bring more torment and there's not even a chance of happiness at the end of it. England are out. It's finished. If a World Cup qualification decider of Italy v Uruguay was on at the same time as an England friendly millions of people would watch the former and that's the exact situation we are in now. England winning is irrelevant as is them losing

^^ This.

Costa Rica would probably like to win, but will probably field a weaker team, and rest players, they have qualified to the next round which is the most important thing. Given who is in the next group, I doubt they care who they play, if they can beat Uruguay & Italy the other group shouldn't hold any fear.

England v Costa Rica is as you say irrelevant, it is the World Cup, the matches that should be shown on the main channel are the key matches and in this case the main match is Italy & Uruguay, and in a way highlights why it shouldn't be on FTA channels if the main channel is not going to select the key match to show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's England, irrelevant or not, it'd get more viewers, advertisers will expect it to be on ITV1 (same if it was the BBC showing Englands last group game rather than ITV, they'd pick the England game rather than shoving it on the red button (given BBC3 doesn't start until 7pm and England kick off at 5pm).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's England, irrelevant or not, it'd get more viewers, advertisers will expect it to be on ITV1 (same if it was the BBC showing Englands last group game rather than ITV, they'd pick the England game rather than shoving it on the red button (given BBC3 doesn't start until 7pm and England kick off at 5pm).

And perhaps why it shouldn't be free to air (ITV & BBC), nationality shouldn't come into it, it is a major sporting event, therefore the key matches should get top billing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And perhaps why it shouldn't be free to air (ITV & BBC), nationality shouldn't come into it, it is a major sporting event, therefore the key matches should get top billing.

It'd be no different if it was on Sky for example, they'd put England on SS1, Italy v Uruguay on SS2, same with BT/ESPN, same with anyone. Whether it's England, France, FTA, PPV, whatever country it was, their own countries game would get 'top billing'/be put on the most prominent channel regardless of if anything was riding on it or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be no different if it was on Sky for example, they'd put England on SS1, Italy v Uruguay on SS2, same with BT/ESPN, same with anyone. Whether it's England, France, FTA, PPV, whatever country it was, their own countries game would get 'top billing'/be put on the most prominent channel regardless of if anything was riding on it or not.

That is a bit different though SS1-SS4 as is BTSports 1 & 2, are not hidden away as such. If BBC is putting matches behind the red button that is even more shocking than ITV putting matches on ITV4...if they can't do major tournaments justice then perhaps they shouldn't have them in the first place.

On the plus side of course hopefully Adrian Chiles & Andy Townsend will be sticking to the England match...means I don't have to listen to them on the key match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    That is a bit different though SS1-SS4 as is BTSports 1 & 2, are not hidden away as such. If BBC is putting matches behind the red button that is even more shocking than ITV putting matches on ITV4...if they can't do major tournaments justice then perhaps they shouldn't have them in the first place.

ITV putting matches on ITV4 isn't shocking. How else do you propose they show 2 games at the same time without putting them on different channels? As for the BBC, it's to do with timings. Games after 7pm would go on BBC3, before 7pm would be on the red button because BBC3 shares with CBBC. Nothing wrong with games being on the red button or ITV4, they're still viewable, it's not like you can't watch them at all. You (and others) are making a mountain out of a molehill.