UK Gold on Freeview

Joy2286Joy2286 Posts: 28,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have freeview and on the EPG it comes up with UK Gold and lists the programmes- however when I try and watch the channel it says "Conditional Access limits viewing this programme."

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can watch it or how to change the settings so I have that access?

Comments

• RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Freeview boxes pick up the channel, but its not a Freeview channel its a subscription channel from Top Up TV.

http://www.topuptv.com
  • Joy2286Joy2286 Posts: 28,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thanks for that- so if I wanted to see it I'd have to purchase a top up box and all of that?
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rescan your box you won't get to see owt , but it should changes its name :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My freeview is tuned in through my digital ready DVD recorder. Is there any way I can purchase the extra channels without having to buy a top up box?
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joy2286 wrote: »
    My freeview is tuned in through my digital ready DVD recorder. Is there any way I can purchase the extra channels without having to buy a top up box?

A top up card may work in it if it has a card slot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What make is this box?

Some allow you to use a special 'CAM' card but these days it's part of Top Up TV which is downloads the programmes to a special Top Up TV box.

So in the short answer it wouldn't be worth the £9.99 a month even if your box was capable as it's only on for a few hours a day :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone. It's a Sony but I can't see a card slot in it so I don't think that'd work which answers my question. Thanks for all your help
  • StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so if I wanted to see [ the TV station "Gold" ] I'd have to purchase a [ TopUpTV ] box...?

Alternatively, subscribe to Sky satellite TV from £16.50 pm for 1 set of stations, or £17.50 pm for 2 sets! Sky installation £30, with a £15 refund subsequently if ordered online.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternatively, subscribe to Sky satellite TV from £16.50 pm for 1 set of stations, or £17.50 pm for 2 sets! Sky installation £30, with a £15 refund subsequently if ordered online.

I thought 1 mix was £17 or is this the vat difference taking effect ?
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last of the Summer Wine and carry on movies from GOLD being shown on Yesterday at weekends now.

Maybe it's testing the water for a GOLD launch taking over Dave Ja Vu and finally leaving Top Up TV?
  • Secret-SquirrelSecret-Squirrel Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt that UK Gold will ever come to Freeview as it's a pay-to-view channel on other platforms.

even tho it is all ancient repeats with 30 mins of adverts in a typical 2hour slot they still expect you to cough up dosh to watch it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seriously doubt that UK Gold will ever come to Freeview as it's a pay-to-view channel on other platforms.
    So are Yesterday, Dave, Quest etc...
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the advertising market recovers, GOLD would be very well placed to get a huge boost in income as it would get great ratings being FTA. On the other hand it might be an attempt to screw more money out of $ky to stay encrypted. Either way is good.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the advertising market recovers, GOLD would be very well placed to get a huge boost in income as it would get great ratings being FTA. On the other hand it might be an attempt to screw more money out of $ky to stay encrypted. Either way is good.

They have put GOLD programming on Dave now Yesterday. Only as matter of time before GOLD comes and the space on TUTV is reused for ESPN 2.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the days when UK Gold was FTA on Sky and had a decent range of programs from the BBC & Thames tv.
  • slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ss3 would be fairer to the scottish dtt viewers than espn2 since sky shows our football there.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    ss3 would be fairer to the scottish dtt viewers than espn2 since sky shows our football there.
    Yes but unlike ESPN Sky don't want to offer their channels to DTT viewers. The only reason SS1 and SS2 are there is because Ofcom insisted they offered them and BT provided the capacity. Otherwise there would no EPL from Sky on DTT either.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    I remember the days when UK Gold was FTA on Sky and had a decent range of programs from the BBC & Thames tv.

Same here. IIRC that was it's purpose when it was created, I wonder why they dropped this format.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping and praying that this channel will come out of encryption on freeview and be converted into a free to air channel.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Gold is a good channel. Although, it's a rip-off on Freeview. It only runs from 6pm - 11:30pm.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjc57 wrote: »
    Gold is a good channel. Although, it's a rip-off on Freeview. It only runs from 6pm - 11:30pm.

It's not on Freeview; it's on TUTV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week I viewed GOLD by accident. I had just rescanned my box and I think it was 8:50pm or something, Normally if I select it I get an Encryption Notice as I don't have a top-up card which I accept as correct.

However this time I managed to watch the last 10mins of one Foot in the Grave before the screen changed to a notice saying call this number for top-up TV.

That was a nice surprise, it hasn't happened since though :(

Cheers
    Simon.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold then UK Gold then became G.O.L.D with shows being moved from it to make Watch channel & other UKTV owned channels. We had UK Gold2 that went to make Dave.
    G.O.L.D on freeview is a paid service from Top Up TV and over time it has become to have less hours. for full hours of the channel with +1 Virgin & Sky .

see for more listing of old DTT http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1405819
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw in another thread that ITV3 got audiences of 1 million for each episode of Foyle's War, which was shown at 9 p.m. across the week recently. That sounds excellent to me. Foyle's War is one of the most popular drama series and must be on a par with some of the programming on UKTV Gold in terms of its potential audience. With DSO still far from complete, figures like this must surely make them wonder if a move away from encryption might be worth considering.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »

Pretty sure it wasn't in the clear, I remember it being soft encrypted with Videocrypt.

-rapido