How honest are you?

Comments

• Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    Keep it.....

I used to consider myself an honest man but being honest doesn't get you anywhere, people just walk all over you.

I'm the same but now-a-days I still prefer to keep as clear a conscience as possible. In fact, I've had have panic attacks about being given too much change or shopping! (From online orders.) I have a terribly guilty conscience. Anyway, I prefer being honest. I'd try to put myself in the shoes of those that lost the item/money. Imagine if the money was an old ladies pension, or the ring was for a proposal that someone saved ages for? Anyway, it wouldn't be my money or property and I wouldn't feel right keeping it.

I'd hand the wallet with pass in to the place of work that was printed on the card. The smaller amounts of money to a local shop if there was any, and the rest to the police.

I once chased a man down a busy road (Took ages, he wouldn't look round!) as he'd dropped a £20.00 pound note from his wallet and hadn't realised.
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    In these sitautions, what would you do?

1. You find £20 on the floor, you cant see anyone around

2. You find £60 in a wallet on the floor, it has an work pass for a company up the road but nothing else

3. You find an envelope on the floor, it has a note saying 'sorry your wages are late', and £300 inside, no name or address

4. You're on a packed train, when you are about to get off and the carraige is now completly empty, you notice a brand new boxed laptop has been left on a chair

5. You find a diamond ring on the gym changing room floor

Keep it, consider it a lucky day, buy something nice.

You digusting criminal.
  • slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm honest and upfront with people, but sometimes it gets me nowhere and other times I get respect
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd keep the £20 and hand the rest in. I've been lucky enough that people have done similar for me in the past.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'd keep 1 & 4.
    Hand in the rest.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2. You find £60 in a wallet on the floor, it has an work pass for a company up the road but nothing else

3. You find an envelope on the floor, it has a note saying 'sorry your wages are late', and £300 inside, no name or address

4. You're on a packed train, when you are about to get off and the carraige is now completly empty, you notice a brand new boxed laptop has been left on a chair

1) I would probably keep it, tbh, if there was nobody else around.

2) I would hand it in. Police probably, I guess?

3) Again, police. I actually did find £300 on the floor in the corridor of our block of flats, it had fallen out of a girl's pocket earlier that day. I spoke to the landlords people of our flats, but luckily the girl came round asking before I had the chance to take it to them!

4) Hand it in

5) Hand it in
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I'd only keep 1. Rest I'd hand in to relevant place.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd pocket the £20 but I'd hand the rest in.
    I remember being very young when my gran took me and my brothers on holiday to Scarborough and she left her purse in a phone box full of a weeks spending money. It was handed in to the police station and we had a lovely holiday thanks to that kind hearted honest person.
    I just couldn't keep anything that could seriously ruin someone's day/week or whatever. The guilt would gnaw at me.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would keep the £20.
    I would drop it in at the company.
    I would hand it in to the police if I was near by. If not I dunno what else there is I could do.
    I would take it and hand it in to the Station. They have protocol for this kind of stuff.
    I'd hand it in. I have no use for rings :p

I like to think that I am a good person.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member

I'd keep it. I doubt anyone would bother claiming it anyway.

I'd hand it in to the company.

I'd hand it in to the local police station. I know how gutted I would be if I lost that amount of money.
    4. You're on a packed train, when you are about to get off and the carriage is now completely empty, you notice a brand new boxed laptop has been left on a chair

I'd hand it in to the lost and found, leaving my name and address in case it wasn't claimed. Like the above I would be gutted if I lost such an item.

Again, I'd hand it in to the nearest member of staff. It could be something of highly sentimental value to the owner.
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Put it in a charity box - hey karma can be a bitch!

Hand it in to the company

Stick an ad in a shop window "sum of money found..."

4. You're on a packed train, when you are about to get off and the carriage is now completely empty, you notice a brand new boxed laptop has been left on a chair

Ad in the paper "did you loose a laptop ... ?"

Sell it on eBay.

nah, I'd put an ad somewhere... "ring found..."

About 30 years ago my Mother found some money, she handed it in somewhere (I don't remember the specifics) the woman who'd lost it claimed it and found out who my Mother was so she could write her a thank you letter - even in those days she thought that was the last she'd see of her money and she was so so grateful for my Mother's honesty.
    I've never forgotten that, and whenever I find something I try to reunite it with it's rightful owner.

evil bastard that I am!
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

I'd probably keep it

I'd hand it in at the company up the road

Hand it in to the police

Hand it in to Lost Property

5. You find a diamond ring on the gym changing room floorHand it in at reception

Will that do?
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    keep 1 hand 2,3 and 5 to relevant gym police or company. Alert officials to laptop on train in case it could be suspicious. I am fundamentally honest
  • chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I found a load of money or a diamond ring I wouldn't just hand it in to a receptionist. I wouldn't trust them! They might just claim it for themselves.

I'd rather hold on to it and track the person myself, then I might get a bit of reward money for my honesty! (I'd be pissed off if I wasn't)

For something like £20 or less, I'd probably just keep it. I'd try and find whoever lost it first, and if after a while there doesn't seem to be anyone looking for it, I'll just have it for myself thankyou. :)

Something like a wallet I would probably just hand in as I know what a pain it is to lose a wallet or anything like that. I'd leave the money in it.
  • Lickerty SplitLickerty Split Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    1. Leave it. Probably cctv nearby.

2. Hand it back.

3. Keep it.

4. Hand it back to the govt.

5. As per previous poster, leave message on noticeboard
  • WizardjWizardj Posts: 3,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) Keep it :o
    2) Hand it in to the company
    3) Hand it in at the police station
    4) Leave it and alert officials at the station
    5) Hand it in to a member of staff at the gym
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I'm using my real name I'll be completely upstanding. But while I'm a craven pseudonym on teh interweb, I'll just take the gear and laugh. Bwahaha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always hand stuff in.

Also if I see pennies on the floor, or accidently drop a pound or something, I leave it for someone who may need it more.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once used a cash machine to withdraw £50. When I reached M&S I discovered I had not removed the money from the cash machine. I went back to the bank, more in hope than expectation, and to my utter surprise the customer behind me had found my money and handed into the bank. Recently the wee girl in my local CO-OP gave me £10 too much in my change. I returned it as I was worried she might have been suspected of stealing when it was discovered the till was short.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bleuh111 wrote: »
    I guess we never really know until we're tested, but I'd like to think the following:

Keep it, it's not like i've got any way of tracking the owner and it's unlikely someone's going to be contacting their local police station to see if someone's handed in a loose twenty.

Hand it in to the company office.

Hand it in to my local police station.

I have no way of knowing whose it is? In that case, hand it in to the station's staff / lost and found.

Hand it in to the gym staff, someone's very likely to phone them to ask if it's been found.

Sorry to go OT, but how do you do the multiple quotes like you have done above?

I want to answer the question using the same method:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,908
    Forum Member

1. May struggle with this one...
    2. Hand it in.
    3. Hand it in.
    4. Hand it in.
    5. Hand it in.

My friend's mum left two thousand pounds on a bus once, and a good samaritan handed it in. I believe what goes around comes around, and most probably I would lose the same amount or objects elsewhere if I kept it.
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keep it if there was no address
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Keep it

Hand it in to the company

Hand it in to a police station

Hand it in to the rail staff

Hand it in to the gym staff

I know I would do these things because I have. A few years ago I finished a small supermarket shop and at the till noticed a fat envelope in the basket. It was stuffed full of dollars - presumably someone's holiday money. I asked for the manager who seemed annoyed to be given the envelope:rolleyes:. On the other occasion, I went to get the bus and on the bench was a wallet. I looked inside and there was a bank card for a bank that was by the stop. I handed it in there. A few minutes later a breathless man arrived at the bench. I asked what he was looking for, he replied he had left his wallet and I told him I'd handed it in at the bank. He wasn't happy either:rolleyes:. My karma for these actions was to have my purse stolen from my bag (I was engrossed in a book) while waiting for the bus at the same stop and to be shortchanged at the same supermarket and be told by the same manager that I would have to wait for a month until they reconciled their figures before I got my money back. Don't give a toss, though, I can look in the mirror.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. definitely keep it
    2. probably keep it
    3. keep it for a while, but feel guilty about it and if I heard someone had lost it I'd try and get it back to them
    4. edited - I doubt I'd be able to keep it, my conscience would get the better of me, so I'd keep it as far as the station office, then hand it in with regret :(
    5. hand it in
  • Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to go OT, but how do you do the multiple quotes like you have done above?

I want to answer the question using the same method:o

click the button next to the "quote" button, on each of the posts you want to quote, go to the bottom of the page, click reply and voila, a post with multi quotes