The DS Eurovision Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    1991 is definitely pure comedy gold .... I love watching it, during the voting Toto getting increasingly frantic and downright rude and the tie at the end with no one really knowing what was going to happen from there was classic!

I agree, 1991 is hilarious! It was, oddly, the year I became a Eurovision fan and really got into the songs and voting- I can remember wanting Duo Datz from Israel to win. Looking back, it was a complete disaster, but as an 8 year old I didn't really know any better and I think I just assumed it was like that most years! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice that the "best of" Lara Fabian is being released in the UK this Monday. "Croire" was an understated classic piece of French pop.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RogerMilla wrote: »
    I notice that the "best of" Lara Fabian is being released in the UK this Monday. "Croire" was an understated classic piece of French pop.

Really should have done better in 1988 (in my mind, anything should have beaten shouty Celine) as should Karoline Kruger for Norway. Croire could have been presented better, but Lara does have a cracking voice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claire 83 wrote: »
    I agree, 1991 is hilarious! It was, oddly, the year I became a Eurovision fan and really got into the songs and voting- I can remember wanting Duo Datz from Israel to win. Looking back, it was a complete disaster, but as an 8 year old I didn't really know any better and I think I just assumed it was like that most years! :D

Wow, you watched 1991 first and KEPT watching?! Good work!!

I really have a hankering for watching it again now...so pleased I have a copy of it to hand - see you in a couple of hours *waves*
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggy145 wrote: »
    Hello:)
    I've only been watching Eurovision for two years:o but I'm really excited about Italy coming back. I have been listening to Eurovision Radio, so my knowledge has been wideneda bit:D My favourate Italy songs are Fiumi di Parole, Volare and Insieme:)

Yep ! looking forward to Italy's long overdue return. Fiume di Parole is a fave of mine, too.

Now, will Italy automatically qualify for the final ? And so we end up with a big 5, rather than the big 4 we have at the mo ?
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was to be exiled to Ynys Ennlli and only allowed one Eurovision to take with me, it would be 1991. I loved Bebi Doll's frantic performance, hair by Domestos, make up by Crayola and outfit by the Belgrade Blind Institute, Duo Datz were wonderful even if they were forced to do the obligatory Israeli Crab Dance whilst wearing his mother in law's table cloths made up as matching suits, Norway were good but couldn't really disguise they had been put together for the ESC, Finland were brilliant, although Kaija was a bit too well endowed for the dress they squeezed her into, although it was good target practice for the boom-cam operator, I loved Amina for France who I think was better than the winner, old leatherlungs Carola although Carola did a storming performance.

Probably the last of the classic "bumbling" Eurovisions of legend, since then it's got more polished over the years and today is so slick you can't imagine another bumblefest like 1991 ever happening again. Unless Azerbaijan or Albania win I suppose.
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was to be exiled to Ynys Ennlli and only allowed one Eurovision to take with me, it would be 1991. I loved Bebi Doll's frantic performance, hair by Domestos, make up by Crayola and outfit by the Belgrade Blind Institute, Duo Datz were wonderful even if they were forced to do the obligatory Israeli Crab Dance whilst wearing his mother in law's table cloths made up as matching suits, Norway were good but couldn't really disguise they had been put together for the ESC, Finland were brilliant, although Kaija was a bit too well endowed for the dress they squeezed her into, although it was good target practice for the boom-cam operator, I loved Amina for France who I think was better than the winner, old leatherlungs Carola although Carola did a storming performance.

Probably the last of the classic "bumbling" Eurovisions of legend, since then it's got more polished over the years and today is so slick you can't imagine another bumblefest like 1991 ever happening again. Unless Azerbaijan or Albania win I suppose.

I'm surprised you'd pick 1991 for your desert island but I agree for all it's idiosyncrasies, it is the most memorable contest. I sometimes think Toto's informality (like asking the artists how to pronounce their names seconds before they give the biggest performance of their careers) would be a welcome relief from the over rehearsed presenters we get these days. One feature you've forgotten is the rusted panels which were used to construct the commentators boxes, they're clearly visible in shots of the audience. Also Carola's performance is even more impressive given the fact it couldn't be heard fully in the hall due to a microphone malfunction. As for the music, for me it is some of the best including my favourite Icelandic entry and this from Spain which was voted best Spanish entry in a 2008 poll even beating Eres Tu. The much maligned RAI Orchestra were at its best here with a different and better arrangement than the studio version of the song especially the poignant opening (is that a clarinet?). If only Sergio hadn't gone for the cheesy ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX4ceTUOpBw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Yep ! looking forward to Italy's long overdue return. Fiume di Parole is a fave of mine, too.

Now, will Italy automatically qualify for the final ? And so we end up with a big 5, rather than the big 4 we have at the mo ?

Why did Italy suddenly quit, because didn't they get fourth in 1997:confused: Italy seem a little tempermental:o:D
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Italy suddenly quit, because didn't they get fourth in 1997:confused: Italy seem a little tempermental:o:D
    I read an interview with the Italian commentator on an Italian fan site who said that Rai were unaware that the bookies had the Italian entry in 1997 was one of the favourites. He rang them up to tell them this either a few days before or on the day of the contest and they hung up on him, not getting in contact with him till after the show when they came fourth. Basically he believes they had a ring round the juries in order to ensure that Italy wouldn't win and they wouldn't have to host again. I haven't explained this as well as I could have but it did make more sense when I first read it!

They really didn't have anything to worry about though, there's no way they would have beaten the UK that year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    Ooooh interesting news about Montenegro...

In a newspaper interview the HOD said that although the broadcaster doesn't have the money to take part they have submitted a preliminary application (they can withdraw without penalty till the end of December) and are currently looking for an artist that would be willing to foot the bill or find sponsors. It'll be a long shot but it'd be great to see them back and hopefully finally get to the final.

http://escforum.net/forum/showthread.php?15579-Montenegro-2011&p=2070057&viewfull=1#post2070057

Good news. I feel bad for Montenegro - they genuinally want to be in the contest but they just can't. I remember in 2008 Zeljko Joksimovic was asked if he'd write another Eurovision entry and he replied "Yes, but next time for Montenegro!". There's always hope that someone will agree to finance it. Let's just hope Justin Lee Collins doesn't hear :o

I've never seen all of the 1991 contest, making a direct comparison difficult, but surely in terms of hosts the 2009 Semi-Finals were as bad as it could get?

I remember hearing that they were angry at only coming 4th. They felt they should have been higher. I don't think there's massive public support in Italy and the contest was always being compared to the uber-popular Sanremo festival too.
  • sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    gottago wrote: »
    Ooooh interesting news about Montenegro...

In a newspaper interview the HOD said that although the broadcaster doesn't have the money to take part they have submitted a preliminary application (they can withdraw without penalty till the end of December) and are currently looking for an artist that would be willing to foot the bill or find sponsors. It'll be a long shot but it'd be great to see them back and hopefully finally get to the final.

http://escforum.net/forum/showthread.php?15579-Montenegro-2011&p=2070057&viewfull=1#post2070057

Fingers crossed that they'll be able to get something together. I'd really like them back. The other ex-Yugoslav countries should club together for a Montenegro fund. It'll surely benefit at least some of them in one of the semis!
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarer than a successful England World Cup bid, a live performance of a Romanian NF song.........

Leticia - Dreaming Of You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJAuhAalAkQ&feature=player_embedded#!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's something I've not come across before. All 84 songs that were considered by the Romanian jury are available to listen to here......

http://www.tvr.ro/eurovision/?pagina=stiri&lista=lista&nm=1#1

Having only just listened to 3 at random I'm at a loss as to how "My Facebook Girl" made it through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Miss Congeniality's fab disco number "Action" that's through to the Ukraine NF? Well, here's the performance that got her there............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJ2Jdp0fWA&feature=related

Ironically titled song or what?:D She's a rough looking one and no mistake, although I wouldn't like to say that to her face.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised you'd pick 1991 for your desert island but I agree for all it's idiosyncrasies, it is the most memorable contest. I sometimes think Toto's informality (like asking the artists how to pronounce their names seconds before they give the biggest performance of their careers) would be a welcome relief from the over rehearsed presenters we get these days. One feature you've forgotten is the rusted panels which were used to construct the commentators boxes, they're clearly visible in shots of the audience. Also Carola's performance is even more impressive given the fact it couldn't be heard fully in the hall due to a microphone malfunction. As for the music, for me it is some of the best including my favourite Icelandic entry and this from Spain which was voted best Spanish entry in a 2008 poll even beating Eres Tu. The much maligned RAI Orchestra were at its best here with a different and better arrangement than the studio version of the song especially the poignant opening (is that a clarinet?). If only Sergio hadn't gone for the cheesy ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX4ceTUOpBw

1991 is one of my favourite years too, mainly due to Amina. I was really upset when she lost on countback. As you say other strong entries from Greece, Spain, Cyprus, Israel and even the Italian hosts. Bring back Gigliola to Eurovision!

However I would probably choose 1989, in my opinion virtually every song is fantastic, although the stage was a poor imitation of Ireland 1988. In fact come to think of it the 1988 contest was the one to move Eurovision on in terms of style, content and giving it an up todate feel. And as for the exciting results and Michelle Rocca's hairstyle!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claire 83 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing these, I really like all three, really classy, well performed songs- I feel a bit more clued up now on Italy's Eurovision past after admitting my ignorance yesterday! :)

Glad you liked them. Of course Gigliola, winner in 1964 and 2nd in 1974 hosted in the 1991 shambles but she still remained dignified in the face of adversity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Miss Congeniality's fab disco number "Action" that's through to the Ukraine NF? Well, here's the performance that got her there............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJ2Jdp0fWA&feature=related

Ironically titled song or what?:D She's a rough looking one and no mistake, although I wouldn't like to say that to her face.:eek:

I don't think she has a decent voice - but Mamo worked somehow in 2009 .... again, wouldn't say it to her face! Isn't her father some sort of squillionaire who funds her participation? It's not a patch on the studio version we heard a couple of weeks ago, and I still prefer Jamala's "Smile"
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now listening to 'Smurrrrl' by Jamala. Not a bad song infact it's actually pretty good. I like all the different influences of the World. She's like Gabriella Cilmi and I bet she's a total nutter in real life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so currently we're sitting on 36 countries for 2011. Assuming France, Russia, Moldova and Belarus all return, we'll be at 40. Already more than last year. To beat 2008's 43 country record we'll need 4 more. Montengro, Hungary, Liechtenstein and Qatar would get us there! Or we could have a change of heart from Slovakia, San Marino, Andorra or the Czech Republic.

Although personally I'm still pushing for the return of Morocco! :o:D
  • sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    I love that Romanian song by Leticia. I want that or Open Your Eyes to win.

Can't stand Action and I don't like Anastasia Prik... at all. Just listened to Smile and it did actually make me. It'd pick up massive votes if Ukraine send it. I was thinking that Jamala sounds a bit like Amy Winehouse but I'm just listening to a song of hers called It's Me, Jamala and she's singing "I'm not Gaga, I'm not Amy..."! She's quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Zlata Ognevich's Ukranian song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hREgWnVCK-8

I can imagine with a bit of tweaking, it would really work on stage. Ukraine are great at turning songs that sound like a mess into really strong tracks (2006 anybody?). It reminds me of a Cossack version of Qele Qele, what with the slow start and the very ethnic feel.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Saw the name Lara Fabian mentioned. Not normally into her kind of music and she was a bit before my time but "I Will Love Again" is an amazing song of hers.

Are France confirmed for next year?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    And Tunisia? Have they ever competed because they have a liscence to and I think a bit of North African culture would do the contest good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are France confirmed for next year?

Not yet, but I'm sure they will. We can't lose France just as we gain Italy!
    And Tunisia? Have they ever competed because they have a liscence to and I think a bit of North African culture would do the contest good.

I'm sure Tunisia were going to compete one year but pulled out relatively early on. Morocco entered in 1980 and brought some North African culture to the contest - but haven't been back since.
  • Pdm1987Pdm1987 Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update after 15 sets of votes:

No change in the top 2. The gap between 1st place and 3rd place is now 49 points!!!!! The real competition is between 4th and 16th place!
This discussion has been closed.