Options

Alex Ferns (Trevor) wishes he'd never done Eastenders

2»

Comments

• Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me when ex soap actors have a go at where they came from. At the end of the day Alex Ferns helped to make Trevor Morgan one of the shows best ever villians and was part of one of the soaps biggest ever stories that wont be forgotton. I thank him for that and ask for him to be a bit more grateful and if he cant then thats his issue.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think generally people that have done stuff before soaps have a better chance of finding high profile work afterwards, but soaps have such die hard fans (just look around this forum!) that you'll always see them as that character. I will probably always think of Alex Ferns as Trevor Morgan, or Cheryl Fergison as Heather Trott regardless of what they do, but as much as I think as Sam Womack as Ronnie, I also picture her as the woman from that naff 90's sitcom Game On, so you see what I mean?

I didn't see Alex Ferns' comments as ungrateful in anyway, but I do understand his point. I'm an actor myself, and I honestly think that if - early on in my career - I was offered a role in a soap opera, then I would have to seriously consider my next move because I think it can make or break your career. Of course, it depends which direction you want to go in. People judge this kind of thing on high profile roles, but what Alex Ferns is doing in a national tour of South Pacific, a classic musical, is probably just as good as any Hollywood film...

PS. Gotta say, love debate like this. It's when I genuinely love this forum, so thanks!

BIB: Very true, Queen Vic. I agree totally there and I see what you mean. I guess it’s up to the producers not to see them as their soap characters or any other past characters they’ve played, but cast them on their acting skills alone.

I guess, but personally, if I was an actor and I had my first big break on EE and then left to do other work, but then found that I was being typecast – I wouldn’t publicly tell everybody how I now regret signing onto the show due to typecasting. I would just keep it to myself as a sign of respect. But that’s just me. I guess Ferns is his own man and needed to let that out.

Wow, I didn’t know I was talking to an actor. Good to know :). Unfortunately, that’s the case with most ex-soap actors though, isn’t it? As I mentioned in my original post to you. They just struggle to find any sort of work after leaving their respective soaps, so they end up doing guest appearances on Holby City, Casualty and The Bill (before it got cancelled) and go around in circles. The problem here lies with the channels and their failure to create enough new TV dramas IMO. There just isn’t enough work out there for UK actors, especially ex-soap actors, which forces these UK actors to go abroad for work unfortunately. In the US, there is so much work out there so actors are never struggling to find regular work.

Haha no problem :). I'm always up for a good-natured, interesting debate like this :). I like knowing the ins and outs of the acting world as I am a fanboy of most good movies and TV shows :o.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're only as good as your last role/show/film/play I'm afraid to say. Jobbing actors are obviously let down by their less ambitious counterparts who end up playing themselves in soaps year after year and that's why they all nearly get continually typecast against.

After all there isn't a life beyond soaps (when really there is) if your not plodding about being miserable on our screens each week night then your basically nothing until you get your skates on and look like a tool in fake tan for two months and then maybe a role on Doctors or god forbid Waterloo Road.

I saw Alex Ferns in panto shortly after he left EE playing a baddie ironically enough.

Stop worshipping the ones who don't tread the boards and stop picking faults with those that genuinely want to act and not get paid for being themselves!
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,957
    Forum Member
    You're only as good as your last role/show/film/play I'm afraid to say. Jobbing actors are obviously let down by their less ambitious counterparts who end up playing themselves in soaps year after year and that's why they all nearly get continually typecast against.

After all there isn't a life beyond soaps (when really there is) if your not plodding about being miserable on our screens each week night then your basically nothing until you get your skates on and look like a tool in fake tan for two months and then maybe a role on Doctors or god forbid Waterloo Road.

I saw Alex Ferns in panto shortly after he left EE playing a baddie ironically enough.

Stop worshipping the ones who don't tread the boards and stop picking faults with those that genuinely want to act and not get paid for being themselves!

thats a bit harsh. there's been some actors who have been in plenty of things + films too before and after soaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its despicable for anybody to discredit anyone who gave you a first big break so equally I don't care if you've been typecast against its a show that in its peak was a cultural talking point it was bound to happen. These days you could easily appear on a soap and not be fondly remembered for one role due to the fact they've all fallen from grace. You've only got to take a look at anyone whose appeared on two or more of the soaps within the last two years. Work is possibly there but the stigma isn't because its just a lame duck anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch the soaps anymore but I did always prefer the long term characters don't get me wrong its just that the actors do become a tad disjointed with reality and believe that its well respected to be a soap star rather than an actual actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't watch the soaps anymore but I did always prefer the long term characters don't get me wrong its just that the actors do become a tad disjointed with reality and believe that its well respected to be a soap star rather than an actual actor.

maybe they dont think much of themselves as an actor and think its all they can do? its hard to take a risk after a long time unless they get axed
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a decent amount of ex-soap actors would be able to find work if there was more work out there in the first place. While the UK produce quality drama most of the time, the quantity isn't enough IMO. The problem lies here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it Alex isn't going to get any commercial advertising roles being the face of gravy now is he and he'll remain typecasted for as being a baddie.

Well there's radio dramas, a proportional market for british financed film scene left if drama on tv or films on the big screen don't come calling. Also the ex soap stars who just end up on CBB reek of desperation because its easy money where as if they had just gone on Strictly or IACGMOOH! they'd probably have a bit of credibility left and look more determined to remain in showbiz and not out to play the soap card and rely on your characters name to make you a buck even though you are best known for being one character and had been in work forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's face it Alex isn't going to get any commercial advertising roles being the face of gravy now is he and he'll remain typecasted for as being a baddie.

its not his image he has a problem with. i barely recognized him on tv the other day. its the voice - if he had a different accent or something he might be able to get away with it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is they don't look to change an image after they leave a show. Grow a beard or do something radical to your hair perhaps. If your unable to disguise an accent for another the least you can do is look nothing like a well known character you previously played. Like if you've played a role and it relied on your actual weight perhaps beef up or slim down to divert attention to yourself rather than an old role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Problem is they don't look to change an image after they leave a show. Grow a beard or do something radical to your hair perhaps. If your unable to disguise an accent for another the least you can do is look nothing like a well known character you previously played. Like if you've played a role and it relied on your actual weight perhaps beef up or slim down to divert attention to yourself rather than an old role.

you cant change the way you look lol but as they get older they do change slightly thats what i meant with alex cos he played trevor 10 years ago
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Can I just point out that Alex Ferns did actually say he was grateful for the break and for getting such good storylines, but in hindsight he probably wouldn't have done it because he feels it's hindered his career? I don't see anything wrong with that at all, but he did make it clear he was grateful.
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    BIB: Very true, Queen Vic. I agree totally there and I see what you mean. I guess it’s up to the producers not to see them as their soap characters or any other past characters they’ve played, but cast them on their acting skills alone.

I guess, but personally, if I was an actor and I had my first big break on EE and then left to do other work, but then found that I was being typecast – I wouldn’t publicly tell everybody how I now regret signing onto the show due to typecasting. I would just keep it to myself as a sign of respect. But that’s just me. I guess Ferns is his own man and needed to let that out.

Wow, I didn’t know I was talking to an actor. Good to know :). Unfortunately, that’s the case with most ex-soap actors though, isn’t it? As I mentioned in my original post to you. They just struggle to find any sort of work after leaving their respective soaps, so they end up doing guest appearances on Holby City, Casualty and The Bill (before it got cancelled) and go around in circles. The problem here lies with the channels and their failure to create enough new TV dramas IMO. There just isn’t enough work out there for UK actors, especially ex-soap actors, which forces these UK actors to go abroad for work unfortunately. In the US, there is so much work out there so actors are never struggling to find regular work.

Haha no problem :). I'm always up for a good-natured, interesting debate like this :). I like knowing the ins and outs of the acting world as I am a fanboy of most good movies and TV shows :o.

I think it's a stereotype, yes. But if you think about it, anyone that has done stuff before soaps in terms of high profile roles (I'm thinking people like Pauline Quirke in Emmerdale or David Essex in EastEnders), then they always manage to go on and do other things because they've forged good careers so far. If you think about a few other examples; Suranne Jones from Corrie, notably recently nominated for an NTA for Scott and Bailey - done some great work outside of Corrie and she was unknown beforehand, so a bit of a break in the trend there. I suppose Michelle Collins is another one, but she has ended back up in soap.

I think it depends on the person; someone like Kara Tointon is out there doing some great work in theatre and musical theatre but that may be down to her SCD role.

You are talking to an actor :) I would absolutely love to be in a soap; EastEnders is my absolute dream role. But I would want to make sure I had something else under my belt first I think, otherwise it's all people know of you. People love soaps, they adore them, they're obsessed with them - which means when you come out of the show you're always recognised because of the mammoth exposure you get. It's very, very hard to shake that off, I'd imagine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never buy this "Typecast" argument - to me it's just a well-worn excuse churned out by actors who aren't terribly good.

Take David Jason as a classic example - now if anybody would be typecast then it'd be him - but he never was, simply because he's such a darn good actor.
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I never buy this "Typecast" argument - to me it's just a well-worn excuse churned out by actors who aren't terribly good.

Take David Jason as a classic example - now if anybody would be typecast then it'd be him - but he never was, simply because he's such a darn good actor.

You make a very good example and point - but there is a big difference in my opinion. Soaps are on four or five days a week, fifty two weeks out of the year, whereas David Jason was in Only Fools and Horses which - yes, ran for many years - but was on for six or eight episodes out of the year and the rest of the time he was doing other roles.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

David Jason typecast, I think you need to take a look at the number of very big TV programs he's been in, which role do you think he'd be typecast for, there's a few to chose from.
    How many of his shows are still being aired, because they're that popular.

Typecasting does exist, it's not an excuse, even highly successful actors get it after a 'hit' TV or Theatre role, they get offers for more roles of the same type.

Have you read some of the posts on this thread, FM's say they'll always 'see' the actor as the character of Trevor.
    Don't you think casting directors, directors know this can happen with actors and take the path of least resistance.
    They get an actor with a previous history of a certain type of role, because they know it'll be less of a leap for some of the public to believe in the character.

On this tip, IIRC wasn't George Reeves, the 'first' Superman back in US black and white TV days who topped himself due to been typecast, after Superman he couldn't catch a cold acting wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't help themselves when they jump straight from a soap into a pantomime using the show and character they've left behind to sell tickets and then moan when they can't shake it all off months later.

The acting work may or may not be there but thankfully only the better lot get a break away from the soaps.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    They don't help themselves when they jump straight from a soap into a pantomime using the show and character they've left behind to sell tickets and then moan when they can't shake it all off months later.

The acting work may or may not be there but thankfully only the better lot get a break away from the soaps.

Panto pays very well, given that acting is a very precarious profession, if it's the only thing on the table is panto or sitting and waiting for something better that might never come, it's not a surprise that many will take the panto offer.

Months later, how many years is it since this chap was out of EE and FM's on here still 'see' him as the character?

How do you know only the better lot get a break away from the soaps?
    You in the 'trade' as it were?
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand how many times have we on the forum complained about a soap actor being cast in a 'proper' role? Or not accepted them in a new part.

I used to be part of forum for the Bill and the hostility to Louisa Lytton from those who watched EastEnders v's those of us who never had and found her to be perfectly convincing was quiet extreme. They just couldn't get her old part out of their minds.

Look at the current doubtful comments about Jenna-Louise Coleman being cast in Doctor Who. She hasn't filmed a scene yet but there are those who are already sure she will be awful.

As fans we do have expectations of actors and casting directors try to cater to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a former diehard EE fan I thought Todd Carty was brilliant in The Bill and really showed a different side to him and the whole Tucker/Mark Fowler thing. Louisa Lytton was barely on EastEnders five minutes and people just expected her to be like the character Ruby and she just didn't look right as a copper.

I loved Jenna-Louise Coleman in Emmerdale and stopped watching after the whole stupid murder storyline. I've found Doctor Who very confusing the last couple of years so I'll not be watching but I'm sure she'll be great.

The deluded ones who leave thinking Hollywood is beckoning and those who stay put hoping they'll never get the chop all need to be excluded from any form of showbiz.