Forum design feedback

Comments

• RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    If it helps you further, some of your posts today have had me howling. :D

If it helps you further, some of your posts today have had me howling. *laughing smiley*

*Braille version in developmental stage.
    Thank you!

<Smiley face old stylee x 3>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to all that added styles to stylebot. I've gone with Skyclad's one but the effort others out in also is appreciated.

It does however show how quickly, professionally and effectively the 'fixes' can be done.

Which begs the question - why can't DS?

*Christmas / Launch Party*
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if anyone at DS has even considered the option of saying "Okay. Enough is enough! We go back to how it was and give ourselves time to think this through! We'll still change things to make the forums fit in with our new 'corporate identity' but we won't make the changes until we know what we're doing!"

... or is it just a case of "Full steam ahead and f*** the icebergs"?

That font in italic really makes me go cross eyed!!
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any chance DS you can fix
    this problem regarding the
    right of the screen being cut
    off.Currently on the DS mobile
    site on the iPhone.
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the big, ugly, permanent link banner at the top punishment for not caring about the main site in years
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be quite amusing if a p*ssed mod comes on here after the party and tells us all to f&ck off.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    The layout is okay (at least it is on my laptop, and my phone still gets the old skin), but it needs some colour - I get that the design shouldn't overtake the content, but when the content is all text then some colour is needed to stop it being so bland you get bored reading it.

The worst for me though were the static menu bar at the top of the page, which takes up too much screen space on a 1366x768 display (hence why I've un-stuck it) and there isn't enough contrast between the background and the font colours in posts (it's even worse in the quote boxes) and the font is too small.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could be onto something there!

DS people:
    It's not the hangover, it really is like that!

I have now gained more whiteness.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    I see this is still not fixed!

The longer this goes on, the more embarrassing it gets for DS and the more readers (and therefore advertising $$) and goodwill they will lose.

Without readers the site is worthless!

Smack bang on. And posters as well.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    Is the big, ugly, permanent link banner at the top punishment for not caring about the main site in years

That did make me LOL
  • dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words. Just horrible.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    It would be quite amusing if a p*ssed mod comes on here after the party and tells us all to f&ck off.

I hope they bold it up for me (green smiley/wink smiley)
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    That font in italic really makes me go cross eyed!!

Yeah ... sorry BirthdayGirl! ("Embarrassed" smilie)

Just reading it again; it made me go cross-eyed ... and I wrote it! ("Eek" smilie)
  • dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I ve seen a lot of makeovers get a bad user press but this takes the biscuit .. 95% on the poll dislike it"!
  • KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be okay if:

a) there was some boundary around the boxes which contain message text.

b) when I expand font size for a page, the Digital Spy banner/link-hub at the top of the page didn't expand too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We might beat the Count To A Million folks. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously, that ^ says,

Originally Posted by Big Freaking Blue Blur

:cry:
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol - does this mean we can be all sweary, insult fellow posters and mention the unmentionable until they give us a usable design?

<Grin Smiley>
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Only being able to view two and a half posts per page on my desk top.

Not reader friendly at all and doesn't encourage browsing.
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is atrocious, on any other forum I've been on, if there's a problem the mods reply almost instantly, and get the admin if required. Yet here which has now got over 130 pages of complaints has had no reply from anyone in charge ( which I'm starting to suspect is Krusty's Mr Teeny and his family). Despicable.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not too bad and renders OK on Opera Mini but stock browser is terrible with banner that follows you about everywhere and the right hand side is chopped off.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ugly as sin, change it back!
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    The silence from the mods is deafening.

If they dont give a toss about the state of the site, why should we? If we dont hear at least confirmation that they are listening to us im tempted to leave. Im even tempted to head over to yappy and crazy chrises forum because this is so bad!

It wouldnt be as bad if there was a bit of acknowledgement that theyve messed up but nothing!

Yappy and crazy chris have a forum??????

Insert maximum number of allowed 'EEK' smileys
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Why are companies simplifying their logo's? Fat Face have just rebranded and they have gone for a plain boring logo, no fancy font, nothing. Seems like Digital Spy have done the same. Why get rid of the individuality of the companies:confused: (I have to say the old confused smilie would have been better there).
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over 130 pages in less than 24 hours should lets the mods know that if they were trying to provoke a reaction they succeeded big time!

In practical terms any forum that crops the right hand side of the page without the ability to scroll across is very poorly designed. The massive white blocks everywhere makes it very user unfriendly and whoever thought of the grey/grey colour scheme should be taken out and shot.

I think DS has really lost its way. I wouldn't boycott it but I feel that a large reduction in the number of page hits (which will impact on their advertising revenue) will force a rejig fairly quickly.
This discussion has been closed.