Options

Elton John becomes a father at 63

The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
Forum Member
http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/112534539.html

His partner and himself have purchased a baby from a surrogate in America.

Should we congratulate them or feel pity for the child?

Is 63 too old to receive a baby from a surrogate?

Is it OK for the rich and famous but not for us mere mortals?

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm gay, but I've got to say that this is just wrong on so many levels :eek:
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think it's too old. I think it's too old for a woman or a man to have a kid at that age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Well, I'm gay, but I've got to say that this is just wrong on so many levels :eek:

I don't think it is about being gay, I think it is about a man who could easily be a great grandad, having an accessory. Had he have got a surrogate at 30, I wouldn't have any concerns but at 63, he's far more likely to have a child, who will feel the agony of losing a parent when still a child.

It seems incredibly selfish to me.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purchased a baby. It's great when you're wealthy. Anyway, I'm sure him and his partner will give the child a fantastic life with lots of love.
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to Elton and Renate.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Sir Elton wants, Sir Elton gets!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Clem* wrote: »
    Yes I think it's too old. I think it's too old for a woman or a man to have a kid at that age.

On the plus side I imagine the biological mother is a young woman, I don't know whose sperm was used whether it was Eltons or his partners. If it was his 48 year old partner again, the child will have a better chance of being healthy which is a good thing at least.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His partner is 48

Many men become fathers at 48, and many children lose one parent whilst they are relatively young.

Lots of judgemental opinions on this thread.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    On the plus side I imagine the biological mother is a young woman, I don't know whose sperm was used whether it was Eltons or his partners. If it was his 48 year old partner again, the child will have a better chance of being healthy which is a good thing at least.

Doesn't matter whose sperm it was, age doesn't really seem to affect sperm quality.

There are many older fathers around, with second families etc., and the mother could be around David Furness's age also, but my gut feeling is that "buying" a child because you want one and you've got everything else simply is wrong.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His partner is 48

Many men become fathers at 48, and many children lose one parent whilst they are relatively young.

If an opinion that's opposite to yours is automatically considered judgemental, you're going to spend a lot of your life hacked off about a lot of people. :cool:
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I hope the poor thing doesn't end up with Elton's hair.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think 63 is too old, whether it be a man, woman, gay person or famous person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    If an opinion that's opposite to yours is automatically considered judgemental, you're going to spend a lot of your life hacked off about a lot of people. :cool:

I'm not hacked off, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion.

Your logic is very strange. Of course an opposing opinion isn't necessarily a judgement - they are two completely different things.

But you know that.
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    It probably has his hair now, most babies do.
  • Options
    SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked to read he was only 63. I thought he was about 80.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His partner is 48

I lost my father when I was 14, the pain in incredible, intense and lasts for years, my father died as a relatively young man with a young family. I think it's incredibly selfish to bring a child into the world knowing that there is a high chance the child will be bereaved before he reaches his twenties.
  • Options
    ProvenceJaneProvenceJane Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope that Elton and his partner had to jump through many hoops with social services before he was allowed to go ahead with this scheme. At the end of the day it's a human being with a life lying ahead of it. Anyone, be they male or female, should really think twice about having children at the age of 63 because the trauma to the youngster when they pass on will be immense.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »

Well it can console itself it won't be poor in the money sense! I just hope Elton isn't a Mommy Dearest. "NO WIRE HANGERS EVER!!!".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings. If it were a woman having a baby at 63 I'd say she was too old but Furnish is 48 which I wouldn't consider too old to become a parent. I do wonder why they didn't 'have' a child earlier as they have been together for years.

Good luck to them all and I'm sure the baby will have a happy if not conventional life.
  • Options
    Wayne DibblyWayne Dibbly Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it seems that this years "must have" fashion accessory on planet Elton is a baby.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Elton could possibly love another 20 years yet. His partner might have another 40 years. Statistically I don't see a problem?

Since when did life end at 63? p.s. not quite hit 40 myself.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »
    It probably has his hair now, most babies do.

More to the point, whose hair does elton have these days? Or is it own, transplanted from a hairier part of him:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter whose sperm it was, age doesn't really seem to affect sperm quality.

There are many older fathers around, with second families etc., and the mother could be around David Furness's age also, but my gut feeling is that "buying" a child because you want one and you've got everything else simply is wrong.

Actually there is lots of evidence recorded USA Today just one of many sites that show sperm for older men not only make conception more difficult but the baby born with defects.

He could have become a father with a surrogate in his 30's I'd have no problem with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    I lost my father when I was 14, the pain in incredible, intense and lasts for years, my father died as a relatively young man with a young family. I think it's incredibly selfish to bring a child into the world knowing that there is a high chance the child will be bereaved before he reaches his twenties.

Perhaps his youngish partner was desperate for a child.

If he was single then I'd be more reticent about the wiseness of it.

Losing a parent must be awful but it can happen to a parent of any age - but I know the chances are increased with an older parent.
    It would be very rare for a child to wish they had never been born just so they didn't have the pain of losing a parent.

There are far worse qualifications for being a parent than age.
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    More to the point, whose hair does elton have these days? Or is it own, transplanted from a hairier part of him:eek:
    Maybe he has bought the baby to harvest its hair, like those families that have babies to provide organs for other family members.