SCD odds.

2»

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am an absolute duffer at betting.....just outside my field of experience so never bothered to understand it.........so which one is the worst odds Lynda ?? if so think she will last a lot longer than some of the others.

Yes Lynda has the least favourable odds at 50/1 :(

Basically, if you put a tenner on her to win and she does so, you'll win 500 quid (plus the tenner you bet with).

The favourite at the start rarely wins. So if I was a betting man, I'd go with the OP's tips, especially Laila because Anton is popular and many want to see him do well this time and his partner has all the attributes you look for in a good dancer.
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River Man wrote: »
    Dunwoody looks like one of the best bets to me too.
    As for personality, he has more of a personality than Joe Calzaghe whose price I find totally baffling.
    Even if he proves to be the best dancer, he'l still struggle to top the public vote.
    He reminds me a little of Chris Fountain in terms of personality. i.e he dosen't have much of one.

He is very popular in Wales so regional voting could be a factor with Joe. He was voted Sports Personality of the Year by the public a couple of years ago, so he might suprise you.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I also decided to have a flutter on the winner of Dancing with the Stars

Oh I never thought about doing that! ;)

There are two reasons why I don't think Martina will win, even though I am really looking forward to her taking part.

One is that I think her 'foreignness' will work against her on SCD because people just love to nit pick. She speaks English very well, but it isn't a smooth American English and so she can come over as very direct which can often get people's back's up.

Two is she just won't have a groundswell of support from the beginning that others may have and might just drop away for that reason, especially given the media's portrayal of her as being involved with drugs. If she can last long enough so that the public get to know her better then she's in with a chance imho, but not worth a bet.

Richard is my choice to be the last man standing. I'll choose who to bet on to win outright after the series starts.
  • Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I noticed FWIW is that all the 'new' pros from this year and last are at the short end of the betting.

Ian's the only 'golden oldie' in amongst them.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I never thought about doing that! ;)

There are two reasons why I don't think Martina will win, even though I am really looking forward to her taking part.

One is that I think her 'foreignness' will work against her on SCD because people just love to nit pick. She speaks English very well, but it isn't a smooth American English and so she can come over as very direct which can often get people's back's up.

Two is she just won't have a groundswell of support from the beginning that others may have and might just drop away for that reason, especially given the media's portrayal of her as being involved with drugs. If she can last long enough so that the public get to know her better then she's in with a chance imho, but not worth a bet.

Richard is my choice to be the last man standing. I'll choose who to bet on to win outright after the series starts.

Hey Buddy :)

I hate to disagree with you ;) But I do, on both points.

I don't think Martina's foreignness will be held against her. In fact, I think it might make her quite endearing in many viewers' eyes.

Also, given just how big a star she is, I suspect Martina's initial fan base will be bigger than anyone else's.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Schmeichel did quite well as a non Brit.

I know he had the whole Man U thing - but that is just as likely to have worked against him rather than for.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    Peter Schmeichel did quite well as a non Brit.

I know he had the whole Man U thing - but that is just as likely to have worked against him rather than for.

Sorry, but I don't agree. Peter Schmeichel was a totally different kettle of fish. His English is accented (nicely! :p), but perfect when it came to colloquialisms - no doubt from all the dressing room banter! He was very well known in the UK having played for Man Utd, Aston Villa and Man City over a 12 year period (8 years at Man Utd). When he retired he was also a BBC pundit including being a regular on Match of the Day. He was part of Soccer Aid, on The Weakest Link and Coronation Street even had a dog named after him! He appeared on SCD soon after all this so was still well known.

Martina has had nothing like that kind of exposure in the UK and as I say, unfortunately imho her directness when speaking English could put people off her.

BTW I am a fan of Martina and have already posted a lot sticking up for her on the forum, but I am trying to be a realist (:eek:) when it comes to betting!:D
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/strictly-come-dancing/winning-couple

lets see if they have it right.........Its interesting who is getting better odds now (look at the odds highlighted in blue)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I had a bet on Ali & Ricky from Hollyoaks when I did
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali would have been a good bet orignally at 14-1 shes got potential although we havent seen the other 8 yet

they got joe calzaghe completely wrong unless that was a one off
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/strictly-come-dancing/winning-couple

lets see if they have it right.........Its interesting who is getting better odds now (look at the odds highlighted in blue)

Wow that blew apart very quickly - all change. Ali at 14 to 1 at 2030 looked a good bet.
  • katie_pkatie_p Posts: 10,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katie_p wrote: »
    Ali Bastian at 14-1 is a very very good deal I think. She's got some prior experience, she's quite pretty, and she's with a popular pro with reasonable choreo/teaching skills. I doubt that one will be available long.

I put £10 on Richard though :o. Mostly wishful thinking, but also that being able to get a hardworking, physically fit and personable sportsman at 33-1 is pretty good going!
    I hope someone took my advice there :D

My £10 on Richard was not well spent!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Whittle 9/4
    Ali Bastian 7/2
    Jade Johnson 9/1
    Martina Hingis 10/1
    Laila Rouass 12/1
    Phil Tufnell 12/1
    Joe Calzaghe 16/1
    Chris Hollins 16/1
    Natalie Cassidy 16/1
    Craig Kelly 16/1
    Rav Wilding 18/1
    Zoe Lucker 25/1
    Ricky Groves 33/1
    Richard Dunwoody 33/1
    Lynda Bellingham 40/1
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Rav at 18/1 will be a good bet - I know his Tango wasn't great tonight but I think he'll improve. I'd say Zoe and Ricky Groves have very good odds too.
  • johnnyutahjohnnyutah Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you had followed the excellent reality tv betting coverage on this site, you would be happy with Ali's first performance:

http://www.entertainmentodds.com/
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Whittle 9/4
    Ali Bastian 7/2
    Jade Johnson 9/1
    Martina Hingis 10/1
    Laila Rouass 12/1
    Phil Tufnell 12/1
    Joe Calzaghe 16/1
    Chris Hollins 16/1
    Natalie Cassidy 16/1
    Craig Kelly 16/1
    Rav Wilding 18/1
    Zoe Lucker 25/1
    Ricky Groves 33/1
    Richard Dunwoody 33/1
    Lynda Bellingham 40/1

you've missed one
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly amended odds to show the BEST prices available for each celebrity. How easy it would be to get some of these odds, I dont know. For instance, Chris Hollins is only available at 33/1 from one quoted source.

Ricky Whittle 3/1
    Ali Bastian 7/2
    Martina Hingis 11/1
    Laila Rouass 12/1
    Jade Johnson 14/1
    Joe Calzaghe 16/1
    Phil Tufnell 20/1
    Craig Kelly 20/1
    Rav Wilding 20/1
    Natalie Cassidy 25/1
    Zoe Lucker 25/1
    Chris Hollins 33/1
    Richard Dunwoody 40/1
    Jo Wood 50/1
    Ricky Groves 50/1
    Lynda Bellingham 66/1

At this early stage, the money is suggesting it's two-horse race. I think it's wide open, there were a lot of nerves out there last night..still, I'm glad I didn't put any money on the ante-post favourite, Joe Calzaghe.