Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Given the spankings we've had, this is quite revealing: again vs. the same opposition season-on-season:

In the same 31 matches last season we conceded 39 goals - this season it's 40. BOOM!

So, yep, pastings vs. Wet Sham, Citeh (twice) and Liverpool. But also 4 fewer conceded at the Effeminites, 3 less at home to Chelsea and a few where we were 2 goals better this season. Hmmm.

The bad news is - same criteria - we've scored 15 fewer.

Almost identical points tally (one point less this season) but scoring 15 fewer goals?
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Given the spankings we've had, this is quite revealing: again vs. the same opposition season-on-season:

In the same 31 matches last season we conceded 39 goals - this season it's 40. BOOM!

So, yep, pastings vs. Wet Sham, Citeh (twice) and Liverpool. But also 4 fewer conceded at the Effeminites, 3 less at home to Chelsea and a few where we were 2 goals better this season. Hmmm.

The bad news is - same criteria - we've scored 15 fewer.

Almost identical points tally (one point less this season) but with 15 fewer goals?

Just shows you that, in general, our much-maligned defence hasn't actually been all that bad. Especially when you consider that 23 of those 40 goals came in just 5 games, so it means only 17 conceded in the other 26, with 12 clean sheets. Only Arsenal (13), Chelsea (14), Man City (13) and, somehow, West Ham (13), have kept more.

Also, we've failed to score in 9 games, which means our 40 goals have come in 22 games. So when we have scored, we've averaged nearly 2 goals a game. I prefer to look at it that way :D:p "Lies, damned lie and statistics!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ... which, in turn, somewhat informs the 'highline' question ...

Also important to remember the Liverpool (h) and Chelsea (a) results this season were both seriously affected by red cards (6 goals conceded after the reds).

Given the defensive injuries, literally all season, maybe things aren't so bad at the back ...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sshhh ... if you keep saying positive things, you'll wake Pee up .. and you know how cranky he gets ;)
  • Options
    Ozboz3Ozboz3 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between now and the end of the season we've got a pretty decent run of teams after Liverpool game. We've just got to try and win as many as possible because what the teams around us do is as important as what we do IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozboz3 wrote: »
    Between now and the end of the season we've got a pretty decent run of teams after Liverpool game. We've just got to try and win as many as possible because what the teams around us do is as important as what we do IMO.

I've always been quite happy with the run in after Liverpool. The only problem is, if it means we secure any form of European Qualification - which will of course be a good thing again - it could mean we'll still be saddled with Tim "You fackkin' slaaaaaag" Sherwood next season ..
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....Almost identical points tally (one point less this season) but scoring 15 fewer goals?
    If only Soldado's La Liga goal scoring ability had transferred to the Premiership !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing about the run in is - after Liverpool - against those particular opponents we won 6 of the 7 last season. It's okay having a nice run in but we have to win them.
    Sshhh ... if you keep saying positive things, you'll wake Pee up .. and you know how cranky he gets ;)

He's been on Ignore for almost a year so not too concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Couple of interesting pieces:

The writer who seems to have the hotline to Daniel Levy these days on the return of Caulker and Vertonghen going to Barca:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/27/tottenham-resigning-steven-caulker-cardiff-summer

And an interview with John Bostock, who never quite got it right between the ears:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26715651
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Never really rated Caulker personally but I accept i'm probably in a minority there. Given a choice, if I was, i'd certainly prefer to keep Vertonghen.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    that is known, round my way at least, as an absolute no-brainer, sir.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure there is a choice. Given his demeanour eariler and the general upheaval, I wouldn't be surprised if Vertonghen has already been given 'a strong indication' he can leave.

Levy likes a quick profit so I'm sure he'll be tempted, esp. if he can get Caulker back for the same fee if Cardiff go down - which I think we can probably guess is something Levy inserted in the deal.

The profit might even pay for a proper left back ...
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. Never really rated Caulker personally but I accept i'm probably in a minority there. Given a choice, if I was, i'd certainly prefer to keep Vertonghen.

I'm way past the point of caring when it comes to Jan. As for Caulker, I'm with you. Although I don't think I've ever really seen enough of him to properly judge.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    just putting this out there...
    Ben Pearce @BenPearceSpurs

#thfc Quote that Spurs fans WON'T like: "To be honest, I've not watched them [Liverpool] that closely."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I'm way past the point of caring when it comes to Jan. As for Caulker, I'm with you. Although I don't think I've ever really seen enough of him to properly judge.

I wonder if Jan is in need of "The Sherwood Method" ?

He did seem a lot happier under AVB but his mood at least has certainly nosedived since Timmy has been in charge, so maybe he just needs the stereotypical "arm round the shoulder" ?

Apparently Vlad is turning out for the U21's tonight so he might play a part on Sunday. Unfortunately, Dembele has also trained all week so he might be involved as well ..
    Pee wrote: »
    just putting this out there...

Nothing that idiot says really surprises me any more.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SPURS U21s beat The Gooners 2-0 this evening, Coulibaly with a pen and Harry Winks with a curler from the edge of the box. We absolutely bossed the game throughout. Chilriches played 90mins and almost scored after a mazy run from deep inside our half!

MoM was our Rueben Lameiras, young Portuguese ML/AML.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good result for the U21's and good to see Vlad last the whole game - I can't imagine he'll start on sunday but i'd hope he features at some point.

Ade still doubtful apparently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LVG to Spurs a 'done deal' according to Ruud Gullit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetHoppy wrote: »
    LVG to Spurs a 'done deal' according to Ruud Gullit

Please let that be true :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beeb have picked up Gullit's comments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26798631

To be fair, he actually says "I think it's a done deal but you never know".

Although the Metro story has a rather interesting slant on it with Gullit saying that Sherwood and Sir Les went to scout Suarez when they worked with Redknapp.
    ‘They came to watch him,’ said Gullet. ‘I met Sherwood together with Les Ferdinand, they were Harry Redknapp’s assistants at the time and were also his scouts.

‘They asked me all kinds of questions about Suarez, so I just point blank said: “You have to snap him up, without any hesitation, in a heartbeat.”

‘“Well, we’re not sure,” they said whilst they actually watched him play.

Afterwards they said to me: “Well, we might have got it wrong.”’

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/29/ruud-gullit-louis-van-gaal-will-replace-tim-sherwood-at-tottenham-hotspur-4682384/

There's a large part of me that actually believes that, considering Sherwood's previous comments about certain players "not being his type".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember there being rumours about is being interested in Suarez when he was at Ajax, I think. Who knows if he would have turned out the be the player he is now if he had come to us though.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    My understanding was that Harry turned down the chance to sign Suarez because he was a "second striker" and could not lead the line or play up front on his own.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool could be super motivated tomorrow with top spot on offer after Chelsea lost today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Liverpool could be super motivated tomorrow with top spot on offer after Chelsea lost today.

I think they'd have been motivated anyway. But then in a weird way, it's almost like the United/Bayern game - everyone is expecting United to lose so if they pull of the upset, it's even more impressive. Same for this - I do tend to imagine that most people are expecting Liverpool to dish out another spanking.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure there is a choice. Given his demeanour eariler and the general upheaval, I wouldn't be surprised if Vertonghen has already been given 'a strong indication' he can leave.

Levy likes a quick profit so I'm sure he'll be tempted, esp. if he can get Caulker back for the same fee if Cardiff go down - which I think we can probably guess is something Levy inserted in the deal.

The profit might even pay for a proper left back ...

we NEED proper Left Back Ram-Man-Rose is not good enough for us in Premier League, Europa or Champions Lge
This discussion has been closed.