Boardwalk Empire - Season 5 - US Pace

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The final season airs next Sunday, 7th September.

Trailer

Comments

• Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    The final season airs next Sunday, 7th September.

Trailer

It jumps forward in time 7 yrs I think
    Not sure if this will work,.. Hoping it does

Either way glad we will get a finale that the writers will know is a finale,

(as opposed to cancellation at the end of a season left on a cliffhanger)

and they don't mess it up!!!
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that pleased about the time jump and only 8 episodes.... seems like they are fairly keen to just get rid of this show.

Hopefully it's good. Real underrated gem of a series.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vol wrote: »
    Not that pleased about the time jump and only 8 episodes.... seems like they are fairly keen to just get rid of this show.

Hopefully it's good. Real underrated gem of a series.

I didn't realise that it was only 8 episodes long. Hopefully, it won't feel rushed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Patricia Arquette is coming back this season or maybe they have ended that part of the story if they're moving a few years forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Patricia Arquette is coming back this season or maybe they have ended that part of the story if they're moving a few years forward.

She's back. Not sure if she will play much of a part this season though.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this season set in Florida?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vol wrote: »
    She's back. Not sure if she will play much of a part this season though.
    Great, she's one of my favourite actresses.
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Is this season set in Florida?
    I don't think so. They might have shot some scenes down there, but I think the show's always been mainly based around Atlantic City.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it they thought is was going to run longer and that's why we're jumping forward, to get to the St Valentine's Day Massacre, Eliot Ness, The Untouchables etc?
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that the show is ending. A sixth season (being the finale) would have been ideal when you consider the pace of the show, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    I take it they thought is was going to run longer and that's why we're jumping forward, to get to the St Valentine's Day Massacre, Eliot Ness, The Untouchables etc?

It sounds like the creator wants to move onto something new and HBO were probably happy to oblige him considering BE's high production costs and modest ratings.

Personally I would have happily watched another 3 seasons of this show...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good programme but it was very slow at times, can see why the ratings weren't massive.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like 8 weeks of resolution.

Should be interesting to watch.

(is it me or is there more and more mumbling in American drams?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been a lot of complaints about mumbling in British ones recently, admittedly a lot of the time it was Sean Harris who is a bit of a master mumbler.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a dull episode.

Was expecting a lot more.

Hopefully it picks up. Missing a lot of the characters.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not much continuation from the previous series, lots of new faces. Quality though, bound to pick up.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Looks like 8 weeks of resolution.

Should be interesting to watch.

(is it me or is there more and more mumbling in American drams?
    )
    I definitely struggled to hear what a few characters were saying at times!

I thought it was an OK start. Though the massive time jump meant I had to stop and remind myself exactly where we'd left it at the end of the last series.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Good programme but it was very slow at times, can see why the ratings weren't massive.

Yeah I agree. Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every season, but at the same time I felt they often spent too much time padding out the show with pointless side stories (usually involving the interminably dull Margaret).
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care about Margaret, and I don't see the point in the young Nucky story. It's the final season now, what's the point in giving us the backstory of how Nucky met the Commodore?
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Not much continuation from the previous series, lots of new faces. Quality though, bound to pick up.
    Agree with all of this. By skipping forward eight years, they may as well ignore what's happened previously and treat this just as a stand-alone season to either explain how established characters came about (such as Nucky) and/ or where they eventually end up. Many plot hangovers from S4 won't make a lick of sense to re-visit, such as Margaret's 'insider dealing' deal with Rothstein.

Re. mumbling, when Nucky met Meyer in Cuba, Meyer said they hadn't met since [someone's] funeral. Try as I might, I couldn't catch the name. Sounded like Ahab. Anyone know who it was?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Re. mumbling, when Nucky met Meyer in Cuba, Meyer said they hadn't met since [someone's] funeral. Try as I might, I couldn't catch the name. Sounded like Ahab. Anyone know who it was?

He said AR (Rothstein).

So sad about this show ending. Genuinely think it's up there with the best of modern television. I just hope it receives a fitting ending in its short amount of episodes.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AG Verve wrote: »
    He said AR (Rothstein).

So sad about this show ending. Genuinely think it's up there with the best of modern television. I just hope it receives a fitting ending in its short amount of episodes.
    Tell me it's not true ! He was my favourite character ! :o I always thought this season would feature a Nucky/ Rothstein face-off for top dog, such was their animosity. I was a bit concerned when Michael Stuhlbarg didn't appear in the opening credits, but I assumed he'd be credited as a guest star. I never thought they'd kill him off mid-season. :( Then again, I've just looked him up and the real AR died in 1928, so I suppose they had no choice unless they really wanted to mess up the timeline.

Lest anyone forget, Margaret tipped off AR that he was being royally screwed over by her boss (that guy that shot himself), but he chose to continue investing with him for his own reasons. In return, AR gave her a huge, swanky apartment at a massively discounted rent. I thought this had the potential to be an interesting plot, what with Margaret now being complicit in his schemes, which in turn might put her in Nucky's cross-fire. AFAIR, that was the only plot thread she had, so unless they work it in somehow, what is the point of her character?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the opening episode, including the flashbacks. Although, I was also a little disappointed that the Rothstein character's been sacrificed with the time-jump and wonder how they're now going to work that out with Margaret.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (is it me or is there more and more mumbling in American drams?)
    It's not just you, I found myself wishing for subtitles. Lots of the dialogue in Chalky's scenes was particularly hard to make out.

I hate that Rothstein is gone and the offhanded way they addressed his death. I know the real AR died during the time jump but it just felt like AR the character deserved much more.

Thought there was way too much Nucky in the opening episode. What with all the Cuba scenes and the flashbacks of young Nucky it felt like a bit too much like The Nucky Show. The flashback scenes were well executed but that time could have been spent checking in with other characters.

I did like the scenes with Luciano and I'm glad we're finally going to see him, Meyer and Capone be actual influential gangsters this season. It's been a long wait.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The time jump is mainly down to not that much happening between the last season and the time this season is set in.

It had to cover the end of Prohibition sooner or later and with the decison to end it meant it had to be sooner.

I think the story of how he became the man he did will be alot more intresting then then showing minor stuff that happened between last season and this and thought the kid playing Nucky played it really well so will make for a better storyline. The writers and Buscemi have created some thing special in Nuckey and think the story showing him become that man will make for a great story then seeing historical facts we can find out about from the internet. We have seen how Capone ends up more times then I can remember, I rather they do something new then rehash old ground