Options

Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2009-2010

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add - there is one thing I just cannot agree with, or even relate to, in your post.
    I have Liverpool leanings but I'd always listen to the 3pm kick-off on Five Live regardless of the match, even if Liverpool is on talkSPORT or before that Sports Extra, because I want to keep up to date with everything, not just one match, and also because I really like John Murray doing this.

If you want to keep up with "everything", then why on earth would you listen to Five Live on a Saturday afternoon?

I support a lower league club and I just couldn't imagine ever listening to Five Live Sport out of choice between 3-5pm on a Saturday afternoon.

The reason for this is simple - I find it practically impossible to be able to follow my team via that platform.

Unless my team are featured in one of Five Live's featured games from the lower divisions (very unlikely as they are mid-table and unfashionable), the only time you'd hear their scoreline - as well as that of many other non-featured games from Leagues One and Two - is during the half and full time scores, and if you are listening intently, when scores are quickly read out during the commentary. And there are rarely further details other than brief scoreflashes.

To this end, talkSPORT will always be a much better listen in my view.

I grew to love the station's excellent Saturday afternoon around the grounds service, Football First - when I was living outside of the Midlands in the days before Freeview became as standard, it was an absolute godsend and the only service I had available to me at the time to properly follow my team on a Saturday. This show alone was one of the biggest reasons as to why I've become such a regular listener to the station in general.

But even since they began providing 3pm Premier League commentaries in 2007 - the Saturday service has still, to a lesser degree, remained true to it's around the grounds roots.

Although he now has to contend with a live commentary, Adrian Durham is still studio-based with all the scores at his fingertips, and he is crossed to on a regular basis to round up all the games with goals, often paying reference to scorers, missed penalties, sendings off etc. They'll go around the other featured grounds and pop back to the studio in 5 to 10 minute intervals, and when I've listened, they have even missed goals in their live games to do this.

I don't know how much of Matchday Live you've heard, but to say they only concentrate on one match is a total fallacy.

Contrast how Matchday Live is presented to that of Five Live. Since 2007, a big bugbear for me is that Mark Pougatch usually tends to be based at a ground (almost always the ground playing host to the talkSPORT commentary game :rolleyes:) rather than at Television Centre with his eyes across the scores coming in as he used to be.

On the few occasions I've listened, for me this has greatly detracted from what he's supposed to be doing - as when they cross to Pougatch, he's instead telling us about what's going on in front of him rather than keeping us up to date with other scores. This now seems to be John Murray's job, an extra burden while he too is covering a commentary game.

Having Pougatch at a game has always appeared to me to be something of a cheap spoiling tactic aimed at talkSPORT, but it only really succeeds at making it even more difficult to keep track of other scores on their station, particularly as when I've listened Five Live have tended to stick more closely to their 3pm game than talkSPORT do.

I hope that makes sense, and it doesn't look like I'm disagreeing with you for the sake of it or knocking Five Live for what they do (their Saturday service seems to be aimed at Premier League fans and will never be for me), but I just cannot understand why someone would listen to Five Live on a Saturday afternoon if they wanted to keep across everything going on in the Football League.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Premier League Radio

Aston Villa v West Ham Simon Mann and Efan Ekoku (commentary)
    Bolton v Arsenal Dave Farrar and Nigel Winterburn (commentary)

Listening to talkSPORT yesterday, and Graham Beecroft who was at Bolton-Arsenal for them mentioned that he'd been at Everton-Manchester City on Saturday night.

Seeing as Simon Humphreys was at that game for talkSPORT, would Beeky have been commentating on that game for Premier League Radio?

I think he has done games for them in the recent past, and if he was working at Goodison Park then it would have been either for them, Today FM, RTE Radio 1 or local radio in the North-West.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This explains Murdo MacLeod's absence from Radio Scotland on Saturday - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8465385.stm

Hope he makes a full recovery.
  • Options
    George LGeorge L Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Listening to talkSPORT yesterday, and Graham Beecroft who was at Bolton-Arsenal for them mentioned that he'd been at Everton-Manchester City on Saturday night.

Seeing as Simon Humphreys was at that game for talkSPORT, would Beeky have been commentating on that game for Premier League Radio?

I think he has done games for them in the recent past, and if he was working at Goodison Park then it would have been either for them, Today FM, RTE Radio 1 or local radio in the North-West.

Commentating for Everton TV I believe.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    And it's 6Nations time soon which means no footie on 5Live :(

Please tell me your joking there :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please tell me your joking there :rolleyes:
    Indeed...last year, the Six Nations was on Sports Extra, with the EPL remaining on Five Live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

George L wrote: »
    Commentating for Everton TV I believe.

Thanks George - I had failed to consider that he might be working for some kind of TV.

Doing a quick Google search for "Graham Beecroft Everton TV" brought this up - LINK - so evidently this wasn't a one-off for Beeky. Do you know if he is a regular commentator/contributor on Everton TV?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear that Everton TV is a web-based channel similar to the World/Player service available on Football League club websites, rather than an actual TV channel like MUTV, Chelsea TV etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 18th January

Beacon 97.2FM and Gold 1152AM (Birmingham)

Joe Holt presenting The Sports Bar (Gold only), followed by Tom Ross hosting The Black Country Goalzone from St James' Park

Championship
    Newcastle United v West Bromwich Albion - Tom Ross and Tony Brown (commentary)

BBC WM

Mark Regan presenting The Football Phone-In, followed by Gurney & Wheeler

Championship
    Newcastle United v West Bromwich Albion - Richard Wilford

talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick-Off: Monday Night Football alongside Stewart Robson, Paul Duffen and Paddy Barclay from The Times

Championship
    Newcastle United v West Bromwich Albion - Graham Courtney
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 18/1/10

Scottish Cup Sportsound presented by Kenny McIntyre

Ayr Utd v Brechin City - Allan Preston
    Edinburgh City v Montrose - Brian McLaughlin
    Forfar v St Johnstone - Scott Davie (by phone)
    Inverness CT v Motherwell - John Robertson
    Kilmarnock v Falkirk - Charlie Mann and Billy Dodds
    Ross County v Inverurie Locos - Brian Irvine

Poor show that they've sent a reporter to every game except Albion Rovers v Stirling Albion.
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,567
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Five Live

Newcastle v WBA Arlo White (host), Ian Dennis, Darren Fletcher and Steve Stone (commentary)
  • Options
    Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    I didn't listen but apparently Robbie Savage got smacked flush in the face, drawing blood, during the commentary from a Stiliyan Petrov clearance. Created "much amusement" in the commentary area. :D

And here it is.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8464392.stm

Darren Fletcher doing the commentary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here it is.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8464392.stm

Darren Fletcher doing the commentary.

At half time on Five Live, they also played the moment Mark Clemmit's Chair broke whilst doing a report from Morecambe a few years ago, with listeners invited to vote for their favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At half time on Five Live, they also played the moment Mark Clemmit's Chair broke whilst doing a report from Morecambe a few years ago, with listeners invited to vote for their favourite.

Reminds me of one of Radio Lancs presenter Gary Hicksons "on air disasters" ironically also involving Morecambe......
    "The famous coffee-cup incident at an Accrington v Morecambe game. I tried to catch the ball for the lads as it came off the field of play...however, I thought the steward in front of me was going to do it and so left it. At the last minute the steward side-stepped the ball and the rest is history. One sports editor covered in three cups of lukewarm coffee, glasses askew with BBC Radio Lancashire's Richard Connelly gasping for air as he tried to keep in the laughter live on air. A quality moment!"
  • Options
    George LGeorge L Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Thanks George - I had failed to consider that he might be working for some kind of TV.

Doing a quick Google search for "Graham Beecroft Everton TV" brought this up - LINK - so evidently this wasn't a one-off for Beeky. Do you know if he is a regular commentator/contributor on Everton TV?

Pretty sure he's the regular commentator.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear that Everton TV is a web-based channel similar to the World/Player service available on Football League club websites, rather than an actual TV channel like MUTV, Chelsea TV etc.

Don't know for definite but I strongly suspect you are correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 19th January - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick-Off: Tuesday Night Football alongside Ray Parlour

Carling Cup Semi-Final First Leg
    Manchester City v Manchester United - Dom McGuinness

FA Cup Third Round
    Brentford v Doncaster Rovers - Andy Clarke

FA Cup Third Round Replay
    Cardiff City v Bristol City - Roger Hughes

Championship
    Blackpool v Sheffield Wednesday - Graham Beecroft

Scottish Cup Fourth Round Replay
    Rangers v Hamilton - Mark Donaldson

Earlier in the day, Ian Abrahams reported from David Gold and David Sullivan's initial press conference as the new owners of West Ham United.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 19th January 2010

BBC Manchester - Host: Ian Cheeseman
    Man City v Man Utd (League Cup SF 1st Leg): Ian Cheeseman (1-22), Steve Wyeth (23-45), Nigel Gleghorn & Arthur Albiston (Commentary)
    Stockport v Swindon: Brian Clark (Updates)
    Aldershot v Rochdale: Drew Savage (Updates)
    Bury v Bradford: Jack Dearden (Updates)

Key 103 (FM Only)
    Man City v Man Utd (League Cup SF 1st Leg): Hugh Ferris, Andy Hinchcliffe & Mickey Thomas

BBC Lancashire - Host: Gary Hickson from Bloomfield Road
    Blackpool v Sheffield Wednesday: Ian Chisnall & Steve Canavan (Commentary)
    Accrington v Gillingham (FA Cup Round 3): Scott Reid (Updates)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland

Scottish Cup Sportsound, presented by Richard Gordon.

Morton v Celtic - David Begg and Jim Duffy (810MW commentary), with Kenny McIntyre pitchside
    Rangers v Hamilton Accies - John Barnes and Craig Paterson (online commentary)
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,567
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Five Live

Man City v Man Utd Alan Green, Mike Ingham and Chis Waddle (commentary)
    Cardiff v Bristol City Alistair Bruce-Ball
    Accrington v Gillingham Juliette Ferrington
    Brentford v Doncaster David Oates
    Notts County v Forest Green Jacqui Oatley
    Blackpool v Sheff Wed Peter Slater
    Morton v Celtic Ian Turner
    Rangers v Hamilton Alison Walker

BBC London 94.9

Brentford v Doncaster Billy Reeves
    Charlton v Hartlepool Nick Godwin and Bradley Allen (commentary) with Jamie Hill
    Leyton Orient v Yeovil Dave Victor
    Studio Lisa O'Sullivan
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds
    studio: Nick Hatton
    Huddersfield Town verses Bristol Rovers (92.4, 95.3 and 102.7 FM)
    commentator: Paul Ogdon
    summariser: Kieran O'Regan
    Leeds United verses Carlisle United (103.9 FM
    coverage: Adam Pope and Andy Ritchie
    Bury verses Bradford City (AM and DAB)
    commentator: Gareth Jones
    summariser: Terry Dolan

The Pulse
    Huddersfield Town verses Bristol Rovers
    commentator: Tim Thornton
    summariser: Rob Edwards
    Bury verses Bradford City
    commentator: Jason Thornton

Pulse 2
    Bury verses Bradford City
    commentator: Jason Thornton
    Huddersfield Town verses Bristol Rovers
    reporter: Tim Thornton

Notes

Pulse Sport and Pulse 2 Sport were separate programmes, but both featured some of the same interviews. I don't think Pulse 2 had a summariser.

I'm glad the Pulse and Pulse 2 provided commentary on both matches. I'm surprised Bradford's match wasn't on FM as Huddersfield Town fans could have heard their match on FM, and Bradford were away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Steve James hosting with a brief 'Football Hour' with Christian Roberts

Cardiff City V Bristol City (FA Cup 3rd round replay) - Rob Phillips and Nathan Blake (AM / FM / Digital / Online)

BBC Radio Cymru

Cardiff City V Bristol City (FA Cup 3rd round replay) - Ian Gwyn Hughes (updates)

BBC Bristol / Somerset

Geoff Twentymann hosting

Cardiff City V Bristol City (FA Cup 3rd round replay) - Pete Simson and Adam Baker (94.9FM / 104.6FM / Online)

During the first half, a gust of wind took all of Pete's pre-prepared notes away, and also moaned about how Cold it was. No idea if he got them back though :D

Hudersfield Town V Bristol Rovers - Ed Hadwin and Keith Brookman (1548MW)
    Leyton Orient V Yeovil Town - Chris Spittles and Dave Linney (95.5FM)

Real Radio South Wales

Cardif City V Bristol City (FA Cup 3rd round replay) - Mark Poyser
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Radio 5 have 3 games tonight, 1 CC and 2 PL

With CC being on BBC 1 I feel it would be better to concentrate on the PL especially as both games have influence on the top, bottom and middle of the league.

Their main commentary is the CC semi-final 2nd leg
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add - there is one thing I just cannot agree with, or even relate to, in your post.

If you want to keep up with "everything", then why on earth would you listen to Five Live on a Saturday afternoon?

I support a lower league club and I just couldn't imagine ever listening to Five Live Sport out of choice between 3-5pm on a Saturday afternoon.

The reason for this is simple - I find it practically impossible to be able to follow my team via that platform.

Unless my team are featured in one of Five Live's featured games from the lower divisions (very unlikely as they are mid-table and unfashionable), the only time you'd hear their scoreline - as well as that of many other non-featured games from Leagues One and Two - is during the half and full time scores, and if you are listening intently, when scores are quickly read out during the commentary. And there are rarely further details other than brief scoreflashes.

To this end, talkSPORT will always be a much better listen in my view.

I grew to love the station's excellent Saturday afternoon around the grounds service, Football First - when I was living outside of the Midlands in the days before Freeview became as standard, it was an absolute godsend and the only service I had available to me at the time to properly follow my team on a Saturday. This show alone was one of the biggest reasons as to why I've become such a regular listener to the station in general.

But even since they began providing 3pm Premier League commentaries in 2007 - the Saturday service has still, to a lesser degree, remained true to it's around the grounds roots.

Although he now has to contend with a live commentary, Adrian Durham is still studio-based with all the scores at his fingertips, and he is crossed to on a regular basis to round up all the games with goals, often paying reference to scorers, missed penalties, sendings off etc. They'll go around the other featured grounds and pop back to the studio in 5 to 10 minute intervals, and when I've listened, they have even missed goals in their live games to do this.

I don't know how much of Matchday Live you've heard, but to say they only concentrate on one match is a total fallacy.

Contrast how Matchday Live is presented to that of Five Live. Since 2007, a big bugbear for me is that Mark Pougatch usually tends to be based at a ground (almost always the ground playing host to the talkSPORT commentary game :rolleyes:) rather than at Television Centre with his eyes across the scores coming in as he used to be.

On the few occasions I've listened, for me this has greatly detracted from what he's supposed to be doing - as when they cross to Pougatch, he's instead telling us about what's going on in front of him rather than keeping us up to date with other scores. This now seems to be John Murray's job, an extra burden while he too is covering a commentary game.

Having Pougatch at a game has always appeared to me to be something of a cheap spoiling tactic aimed at talkSPORT, but it only really succeeds at making it even more difficult to keep track of other scores on their station, particularly as when I've listened Five Live have tended to stick more closely to their 3pm game than talkSPORT do.

I hope that makes sense, and it doesn't look like I'm disagreeing with you for the sake of it or knocking Five Live for what they do (their Saturday service seems to be aimed at Premier League fans and will never be for me), but I just cannot understand why someone would listen to Five Live on a Saturday afternoon if they wanted to keep across everything going on in the Football League.

I don't know your age, but was wondering if you remember the old Beacon / WABC days when they were studio based with The Prof and would go around the grounds rather than do commentary? I really liked that show and TS's old Saturday service was the nearest thing that came to it. While it's good for them to have a live game I almost regret losing this alternative to Five Live.
    Agree that Five Live Sport was a better program when anchored from TVC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    BBC London 94.9

Studio Lisa O'Sullivan

Was Lisa O'Sullivan anchoring BBC London's sports show last night, or was she just reading sports news and doing other studio-based duties?

If it was the former, how did she do? She's been a sports newsreader on talkSPORT (and other stations) for many years now but I don't think I've ever heard her presenting a show.
    I don't know your age, but was wondering if you remember the old Beacon / WABC days when they were studio based with The Prof and would go around the grounds rather than do commentary? I really liked that show and TS's old Saturday service was the nearest thing that came to it. While it's good for them to have a live game I almost regret losing this alternative to Five Live.
    Agree that Five Live Sport was a better program when anchored from TVC

I'm in my mid 20s, but I'm afraid I never got to listen to the Beacon/WABC around the grounds show which you speak of, which is a shame as I believe Nigel Pearson (who I have always rated highly) was involved in their coverage before he started reporting for the then-Talk Radio on their Football League coverage.

I did however grow up listening to another West Midlands around the grounds service, BBC WM's Sport on Saturday presented (as their 2-5pm Saturday slot is now) by Paul Franks in the mid 90s. They had the odd second half commentary but it was often a full around the grounds programme with reporters at the five West Midland league clubs plus a non-league 'Game of the Day', with detailed score updates from English league games outwith the region.

It was once WM started to do commentaries on Saturday afternoons (around the turn of the decade) that I began gravitating towards the now talkSPORT and their Football First show, which was naturally different and difficult to compare in the respect that it had reporters at games across the whole of the country rather than just the Midlands.

As my team are rarely selected for live match commentary on either national or local radio, I have always preferred listening to around the grounds shows rather than a commentary on another game when it comes to following my team on a Saturday afternoon or on busy midweek evenings.

That kind of show allows me to follow my club more closely than relying on infrequent scorelines coming through on another commentary, and on top of that I find the jumping between numerous grounds without being anchored at one a more enjoyable style of radio on a day/evening when a lot is happening in the football world.

Like you I was quite disappointed when talkSPORT won live Premier League commentary rights from 2007/08 onwards, as while I appreciate it is something that has been good for the station's audience figures and IMO it was right that Five Live's monopoly over the league was broken up, the loss of a show like Football First on a Saturday has left a real gap in the market for listeners like myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 20th January

talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick-Off: Wednesday Night Football alongside Ray Parlour

Carling Cup Semi-Final Second Leg
    Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers - Ian Danter

Premier League
    Arsenal v Bolton Wanderers - Ian Abrahams
    Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur - Dom McGuinness

BBC WM

Mark Regan presenting The Football Phone-In and WM Sport from Villa Park

Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers - Mike Taylor and Ron Atkinson (commentary)

BRMB

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from Villa Park

Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers - Tom Ross and Pat Heard (commentary), with Mikey Burrows interviewing the fans outside Villa Park
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newport County V York City (FA Trophy 2nd round) - Alistair Ross and Max Benson (BBC Radio York)

Reading in yesterday's South Wales Argus, should Newport County get promoted to the Conference National (Blue Square Premier) Radio Wales would not offer commentaries on their games.