Options

Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2009-2010

Comments

• Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,569
    Forum Member
    BBC Oxford

Oxford United v Wrexham Jerome Sale and Peter Rhoades-Brown (commentary)
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent Non-League Special on BBC WM tonight.

I always like Around the Grounds shows, but it's the first time I've had the chance to listen to one of WM's non-league versions full way through and I really enjoyed it.

Even Mike Taylor and Richard Wilford's temperamental line at Dales Lane added to my enjoyment, and overall the show was fast moving, fun and there were some good games going on around the Midlands.

Rego said they'd be doing more of these shows in the future so I hope this becomes a semi-regular fixture on Tuesday evenings next season.

Bravo WM - and that Tamworth clinched their Conference Premier status tonight made listening all the more sweet. :)
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent Non-League Special on BBC WM tonight.

I always like Around the Grounds shows, but it's the first time I've had the chance to listen to one of WM's non-league versions full way through and I really enjoyed it.

Even Mike Taylor and Richard Wilford's temperamental line at Dales Lane added to my enjoyment, and overall the show was fast moving, fun and there were some good games going on around the Midlands.

Rego said they'd be doing more of these shows in the future so I hope this becomes a semi-regular fixture on Tuesday evenings next season.

Bravo WM - and that Tamworth clinched their Conference Premier status tonight made listening all the more sweet. :)

To add some context I have also noticed in the last two weeks, that Radio Leeds seems to be giving non league teams more coverage, including some online commentaries. Tonight Nick Hatton reported on Frickley Athletic's match against Guiseley, and Dave Fletcher reported on Halifax Town's match. I'd expect Radio Humberside to broadcast Grimsby Town's matches online next season, and BBC Tees to do the same for Darlington.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As expected, 5Live's 3pm commentary is West Ham vs Wigan this weekend
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Wednesday 21st April 2010 - BBC Radio Scotland

Sportsound presented by Kenny MacIntyre

Raith Rovers v. Dundee (Commentary) - Richard Gordon, John Robertson & Derek Ferguson with Jim Spence pitchside
    Ayr United v. Airdrie United (Updates) - Charlie Mann
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    On talkSPORT tomorrow, Ian Danter will present Kick-Off: Europa League Live with commentary of Atletico Madrid v Liverpool with Graham Beecroft and Ray Parlour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 21st April

talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Champions League Live alongside Stan Collymore (from the KC Stadium)

UEFA Champions League Semi Final First Leg
    Bayern Munich v Olympique Lyon - Andy Clarke

Premier League
    Hull City v Aston Villa - Graham Courtney and Stan Collymore

BBC WM

Mark Regan presenting The Football Phone-In from The Mailbox, followed by Dan Wheeler with WM Sport from the KC Stadium

Premier League
    Hull City v Aston Villa - Rob Gurney and Dan Wheeler (commentary)

BRMB

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from the KC Stadium

Premier League
    Hull City v Aston Villa - Tom Ross and Pat Heard (commentary)

Over on Gold, talkSPORT commentator Nigel Pearson was a guest on The Sports Bar with Joe Holt. He was speaking in his capacity as the chairman of the Dudley Heathens Speedway Club going into a new season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC announce their World Cup team tomorrow, I can't see any 5Live surprises to be honest.
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    BBC announce their World Cup team tomorrow, I can't see any 5Live surprises to be honest.

I think the main question on the commentators will be whether Ian Brown goes, otherwise I think it'll be the same as last time.

The other point of interest will be the summarisers line up and if there's any surprises there.

Tonight

Mark Pougatch at The KC Stadium

Hull v Aston Villa David Oates, Danny Mills and Simon Brotherton
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    I think the main question on the commentators will be whether Ian Brown goes, otherwise I think it'll be the same as last time.

The other point of interest will be the summarisers line up and if there's any surprises there.

Tonight

Mark Pougatch at The KC Stadium

Hull v Aston Villa David Oates, Danny Mills and Simon Brotherton

Taylor, Waddle,Arnfield (maybe?), Pleat (?), Nevin

There's 5, how may do they need? There's also Mills, Savage, Claridge (God forbid), Kevin Gallagher
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've started a new thread for 2010 World Cup discussion: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1248752
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's 5, how may do they need? There's also Mills, Savage, Claridge (God forbid), Kevin Gallagher

I think they'll ue more than that. I'd guess that only Waddle and Taylor will be there for the duration whilst others do maybe a week-10 days each.

Robbie Savage and Jan Molby are definites. I think Nevin, Gallacher, Burley, Pleat have a good chance, maybe Matt Holland and Danny Mills as well.

Jimmy Armfield would be good if wants to travel. He did a few games in 2006.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Humberside
    host: David Burns
    commentators: Mike White and David Burns
    summariser: Peter Swann
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    BBC Radio Humberside
    host: David Burns
    commentators: Matt Dean and David Burns
    summariser: George Kerr

BBC Radio Berkshire
    commentator: Tim Deller
    summariser: Ady Williams

Radio Humberside had technical problems, and while they were unable to connect with their team, they broadcast the Radio Berkshire commentary. The Berkshire team are entertaining, which is good when the football isn't.

Though Radio Humberside broadcast the Radio Berkshire commentary during the technical problems, Radio Leeds didn't do the same for the Radio HUmberside commentary when they had technical problems during Huddersfield Giants verses Hull KR.

There was technical problems at Radio Manchester last night as well. I was only listening from about 9.10 to 10.00pm, but as soon as the Notts County v Rochdale match commentary finished they switched to the last couple of minutes Southampton v Oldham - the commentary lasted about 30 seconds before the feed cut and total silence until it came back on just in time for the reporter to say "... and so its finished 0-0 here".

Then they went straight to the 9.40pm travel news which lasted about 10 seconds before it cut out as well with just the music bed playing. Then the jingle and the studio presenter came on as if nothing had gone wrong... so it certainly sounded like they never realised there was a probem.

They then went over to what appeared to be a live interview with someone from Belle View speedway, but again after a few seconds the guest cut out to silence, but the presenter kept asking questions and occasionally you heard a quiet word or two but mainly nothing.

The last 10 mins of the programme was just a news round-up and that seemed to be fine, and no apology for technical problems or anything, so they must have been unaware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's 5, how many do they need? There's also Mills, Savage, Claridge (God forbid), Kevin Gallagher

I think they may be looking to take 9 or 10 summarisers.

At Euro 2004, they took 8 summarisers: Terry Butcher, Graham Taylor, Chris Waddle, Jimmy Armfield, Gordon Strachan, Alan Curbishley, Gavin Peacock and Mick McCarthy.

At World Cup 2006, they took 10 summarisers: Jimmy Armfield, Terry Butcher, Dion Dublin, Kevin Gallacher, Matt Holland, Paul Jewell, Martin Jol, Danny Mills, Graham Taylor and Chris Waddle.

At Euro 2008, they took 6 summarisers: Steve McClaren, Graham Taylor, Chris Waddle, Pat Nevin, Jan Molby and Kevin Gallacher (Gallacher being a late replacement for talkSPORT-bound Stan Collymore).

Obviously the number of summarisers was lower at Euro 2008 due to a lack of British interest, and with the World Cup spanning across a large land mass I expect the amount of summarisers they take will be in the region of 10. We'll find out soon anyway.
  • Options
    George LGeorge L Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    This week's talkSPORT commentary games are Atletico Madrid v Liverpool with Graham Beecroft and Alvin Martin on Thursday and Hull City v Sunderland with Nigel Pearson and Stan Collymore on Saturday.

Or maybe not ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I hear it's going to be Ian Danter commentating alongside Stan Collymore on Hull City v Sunderland this weekend.

Also, earlier I heard a trailer about this week's Football First on Sunday on talkSPORT. Apparently, they will have pundits at three of the day's Premier League games (as opposed to how they usually just have Alvin Martin at one).

Alvin Martin will be at Aston Villa v Birmingham City, Bobby Gould at Burnley v Livepool and Ray Houghton at Chelsea v Stoke City.

Didn't catch the start time for the show, although the trailer made it sound like they'd be on-air from 12noon for the Villa-Blues reports - instead I should imagine Alv will be on with Jeremy Kyle from 12, with FFoS starting at 3pm as usual.

However, they should have a special 12noon start time a week on Sunday, what with the final round of Championship fixtures taking place at 1pm that day. As they have done in past years, they should clear the schedule either for a Championship Special with Adrian Durham or by moving Football First with Ian Danter forward to incorporate an Around the Grounds shows covering these games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Are all the commentators on 5Live contracted full-time to the BBC or are they just paid to cover matches?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gooseyF wrote: »
    Are all the commentators on 5Live contracted full-time to the BBC or are they just paid to cover matches?

I think they are all pretty much contracted, you rarely hear them on other stations (be it radio or TV), for example reporting on Sky Sports News or on IRN or doing Premier League radio etc. If some of the lower rank comms were freelance then you'd surely see/hear them doing other things.

If they are not commentating/reporting, then some of them do reporting for the sports bulletins and there's obviously prep/research to do.
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,569
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Five Live World Cup Team

Hosts Mark Pougatch, Mark Chapman, Nicky Campbell and Danny Baker
    Commentators Mike Ingham, Alan Green, Ian Dennis, John Murray, Conor McNamara, Darren Fletcher, Nigel Adderley, Alistair Bruce-Ball, David Oates, Jacqui Oatley, Mike Sewell and Arlo White
    Analysts Graham Taylor, Robbie Savage, Chris Waddle, David Moyes, Danny Mills, Pat Nevin, Jan Molby and David Pleat
    Reporters Dan Walker, Rob Walker and Colin Paterson
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gooseyF wrote: »

I'm not sure about any of the commentators, but Mark Pougatch is freelance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    BBC Radio Five Live World Cup Team

Hosts Mark Pougatch, Mark Chapman, Nicky Campbell and Danny Baker
    Commentators Mike Ingham, Alan Green, Ian Dennis, John Murray, Conor McNamara, Darren Fletcher, Nigel Adderley, Alistair Bruce-Ball, David Oates, Jacqui Oatley, Mike Sewell and Arlo White
    Analysts Graham Taylor, Robbie Savage, Chris Waddle, David Moyes, Danny Mills, Pat Nevin, Jan Molby and David Pleat
    Reporters Dan Walker, Rob Walker and Colin Paterson

In case you missed it, there's new thread for 2010 World Cup discussion: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1248752
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 22nd April - talkSPORT

Ian Danter presenting Kick-Off: Europa League Special alongside Ray Parlour

UEFA Europa League Semi Final First Leg
    Atletico Madrid v Liverpool - Graham Beecroft and Ray Parlour (commentary)
    Hamburg v Fulham - Graham Courtney

According to his Twitter, John Anderson will be reporting on the FA Cup Final for talkSPORT.
  • Options
    Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 22nd April 2010

UEFA Europa League Semi Final First Leg

BBC Merseyside - Host: Alan Jackson
    Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: Mike Hughes (with an LFC fan called Ben summarising from Studio)

City Sport
    Atletico Madrid v Liverpool: Steve Hothersall (with John Aldridge summarising from Studio)
  • Options
    Adam619Adam619 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Thursday 22nd April 2010

5 Live

Europa League Semi Finals

Atletico Madrid vs Liverpool- Ian Dennis and Kevin Gallacher
    Hamburg vs Fulham- Nigel Adderley