Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see I love Teddy as well in equal measures, a great husky powerful voice which unfortunately lacked a lot of power after his unfortunate car accident! Love all his Philly stuff & even some early 80's tracks including the brilliant 'You're My Choice Tonight' from 83 produced by none-other than Luther Vandross ;) His 1988 track 'Joy' written & produced but the guys behind Midnight Star is just that, a complete 'Joy'!!:D

Do you remember Teddy as one of the main voices in the Philadelphia Allstars Groovester?
    "Let's clean up the Ghetto" was a 70s song that I still like. I think Lou Rawles did the spoken intro followed on by Teddy.
    Archie Bell was in this as well if I remember right.
    "clean it up clean it up" :)
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Legs and Co routines are probably what make these repeats worth watching. What's everybody's favourite Legs/Ruby Flipper/Pan's People routine so far through all these?

Off the top of my head my favourite Legs & Co. routine so far was 'Rock 'n' Me' by the Steve Miller Band; my favourite Ruby Flipper routine was 'Morning Glory' by James and Bobby Purify and my favourite Pan's People routine was 'More More More' by Andrea True Connection, although if all the early repeats from 1976 had been shown in their entirety I may have chosen 'You Sexy Sugar Plum' by Rodger Collins which was edited from both the early and late night showings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrHYmYvB72k
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The information about Child is a lot more interesting than their version of 'It's Only Make Believe' which is just dreadful!

Maybe. It is certainly not a patch on Conway Twitty or Billy Fury (who nails it beautifully).

However, the performance on TOTP had real conviction and I am sure that helped them have this big hit with the song. Also, as has now been revealed, these guys may have been pretty, but they were no slouches.:)
    Forum Member
    China Girl wrote: »
    Do you remember Teddy as one of the main voices in the Philadelphia Allstars Groovester?
    "Let's clean up the Ghetto" was a 70s song that I still like. I think Lou Rawles did the spoken intro followed on by Teddy.

Teddy Prendergast (if I spelled it right) had a great song from 1978 called Life is a Song Worth Singing, which I think was a big US r'n'b hit. It is one of the songs of the year for me, but alas no TOTP of him.

Did we see Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes on TOTP last year with Don't Leave Me This Way.:) ?
  • darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    corriander wrote: »
    Teddy Prendergast (if I spelled it right) had a great song from 1978 called Life is a Song Worth Singing, which I think was a big US r'n'b hit. It is one of the songs of the year for me, but alas no TOTP of him.

Did we see Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes on TOTP last year with Don't Leave Me This Way.:) ?

No, Legs and Co danced to it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnEhmJrwydg

PS - It's "Pendergrass" ;)
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off the top of my head my favourite Legs & Co. routine so far was 'Rock 'n' Me' by the Steve Miller Band; my favourite Ruby Flipper routine was 'Morning Glory' by James and Bobby Purify and my favourite Pan's People routine was 'More More More' by Andrea True Connection, although if all the early repeats from 1976 had been shown in their entirety I may have chosen 'You Sexy Sugar Plum' by Rodger Collins which was edited from both the early and late night showings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrHYmYvB72k

This is a fun game ... :D

I'm not sure what my fave Pan's People routine from the repeats is - TBH none really stick in my mind.

For Ruby Flipper, it's a no-brainer - The Champs Boys' cover of 'Tubular Bells' in the Blue Peter garden!

As for Legs & Co - oh so many ... many for all the wrong reasons: Manhattan Transfer's 'Chanson D'Amour', Bryan Ferry's 'Tokyo Joe' and Michael Zager Band's 'Let's All Chant' all spring to mind. But my fave so far is probably their routine to Carly Simon's 'Nobody Does It Better' ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7N9FTteYV8
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funnily enough, that came up on random shuffle on my iPod yesterday! Teddy does appear, but midway through, not near the beginning. (Group was Philadelphia International Allstars.)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe. It is certainly not a patch on Conway Twitty or Billy Fury (who nails it beautifully).

However, the performance on TOTP had real conviction and I am sure that helped them have this big hit with the song. Also, as has now been revealed, these guys may have been pretty, but they were no slouches.:)

My favourite version is by Glen Campbell, love the way it builds to a crescendo at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .I stand corrected on above post :)
    Yes, Glen Campbell did a great version of Only make believe
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    I think it was used in a television advertising campaign for McDonalds.

As your memory is superior to mine I'll go with that. It sounds right, anyway.

Sticking with ads and Sham 69, I remember Jimmy Pursey himself popped up in an advert (late 90s/early 2000s) for a spirit drink of some sort which used the theme from Get Carter. I think it had two different endings. Not sure.
    Keeping with the TV commercial theme - is he, or isn't he wearing Harmony hairspray :confused:

He'd be perfect for the current VO5 ads where they give tips on how to do certain styles.
    I'm no fan of 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks' but I used to tune in to the last 10 minutes just to see the identity parade when it featured pop acts predominantly from the 1960s and 1970s. I found it interesting to see how kindly time had treated these stars of yesteryear (or not as the case may be :eek:). Graham Bilbrough, the lead singer from Child featured one week (probably sometime between 2000 and 2003?) and was correctly identified by the cabaret singer and future 'Loose Woman' Jane McDonald, one of the guest panelists who apparently fantasised to his pin-up poster on her bedroom wall during her teens. I'd hazard an educated guess he'd be in his mid-forties at the time and it's probably fair to say the bespectacled, grey haired gent in the parade looks a far cry from the teenage(?) Kid Jensen clone of 22-25 years earlier. I found this particular NMTB clip on YouTube which starts with a brief extract from yesterday's TOTP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtORLp8RfZ4

Blimey, he does look different.

Although, if you like checking out how old pop stars from the 60s and 70s have faired over time then just google Dave Clark. He's...well, you'll see.
    Forum Member
    .I stand corrected on above post :)
    Yes, Glen Campbell did a great version of Only make believe

How could I have forgotten that one. That one has the edge I agree.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just googled Dave Clark as suggested above, aargh!! :eek:
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Just googled Dave Clark as suggested above, aargh!! :eek:

I know!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member

Most famous in my opinion for singing "If You Don't Know Me by Now" by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sticking with ads and Sham 69, I remember Jimmy Pursey himself popped up in an advert (late 90s/early 2000s) for a spirit drink of some sort which used the theme from Get Carter. I think it had two different endings. Not sure.

Yes, that commercial had slipped my mind but it came back to me when I looked it up on YouTube; he was advertising Campari and you are probably right about the two endings - here is a link to one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYkwpsH8pxA
    Although, if you like checking out how old pop stars from the 60s and 70s have faired over time then just google Dave Clark. He's...well, you'll see.

I reckon Dave Clark's physical transformation will have raised a few eyebrows - including his own by the looks of things. ;)
    More Legs & Co - Again? Thought the singer of Dancing In The City had recorded an appearance on the TOTP. Seems odd they'd show Legs & Co's dance again rather than repeat the act's actual appearance if they had it.

BIB - when Marshall Hain failed to put in a personal appearance in the TOTP studio I assumed they must be suffering with stage fright. However, 'Dancing in the City' was also a big hit on the continent and the duo recorded studio performances for Disco (in Germany) and Top Pop (in Holland):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tmiP5e6jYM
    It was far too hot earlier to sit with the lap top on my lap while watching the show. It's not that much cooler now, to be fair, but I'll cut in with my commentary while watching the late night repeat.

BIB - a PC World technician once told me over the phone that this can cause a computer to overheat and crash (in which case "laptop" is a bit of a misnomer) but I'm not sure if his advice was right. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    One of the members of Child, Keith Atack became a session musician and played guitar for the likes of Bonnie Tyler, David Cassidy and Rick Astley. He was married for 19 years to Kate Robbins, of 'More Than In Love' chart fame as well as being famous for her Spitting Image appearances where she voiced Mrs T amongst others. They have three children including Emily who appeared on The Inbetweeners and in 2010 Dancing On Ice. His twin brother Tim played drums in Child and has made a career as not only a session musician also but in scoring music for films and TV programmes, some of which were in collaboration with brother Keith.

I had never heard of Emily Atack before reading your post so it seemed a bit of a coincidence when I saw the following "celebrity" article about her flaunting her 'bikini body' on a beach in Ibiza just now on AOL:

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/07/19/inbetweeners-star-emily-atack-bikini-body-ibiza
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a lap top cushion tray £19.99 from Currys. it's great and stops the heat on your legs, and because it's a flat surface like a table, air can circulate around the lap top .....highly recommend.
  • Groovester01Groovester01 Posts: 228
    Forum Member

Hey China Girl, funny you should mention this track! I was only playing this last weekend:) Love it, & if this don't get ya moovin' and doin' the house work at the same time then nothing will! Trouble is I had the riff 'Clean it up, clean it up' in my head all bleedin' day - sang by those lovely sweethearts of Sigma, Carla Benson, Barbara Ingram & Evette Benton, Philadelphia Record's inhouse vocal backing group!:)
    Lou Rawls, another gem of a singer I could listen to all day! 'Lady Love' is as smooth as you like!!:cool:
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    POTP currently covering the last David Jensen ep that aired on Weds...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    "Let's Clean Up The Ghetto" is a great song that deserved a higher chart placing than 34.

The full lineup (in singing order) on the song is:

Lou Rawls (spoken introduction)
    Billy Paul
    Archie Bell
    Teddy Pendergrass
    Dee Dee Sharp (who was Kenny Gamble's wife)
    Teddy again
    Eddie Levert & Walter Williams (O'Jays)
  • SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers. 1979's Love and Loneliness was almost as good as Airport, but by then momentum had been lost. The song was played to death but never made the top forty.:)

Hope they're on, remembering seeing them on TOTP whilst on a family holiday at a caravan park. Dad rented a b&w portable for the week at the park, felt well posh.

Bram Tchaikovsky's first album (Strange Man Changed Man) was quite good as it showcases Sarah Smiles, great tune.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As your memory is superior to mine I'll go with that. It sounds right, anyway.

He'd be perfect for the current VO5 ads where they give tips on how to do certain styles.

Blimey, he does look different.

A complete **** for only rereleasing TIME on iTunes? Yep...
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Martin Brunt of Sky News tweeted this week that DLT was granted bail yet again for another month. Will this ever end? :(
    Forum Member
    Most famous in my opinion for singing "If You Don't Know Me by Now" by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes.

And all the great Harold Melvin hits, such as The Love I Lost and Wake Up Everybody.:):

His car accident was tragic.:(
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    This is the running order from the first "banned" show:

(24) ELVIS PRESLEY – Don’t Be Cruel (and charts)
    (NEW) JIMMY JAMES & THE VAGABONDS – I Can’t Stop Dancing To The Beat
    (12) JACKSON BROWNE – Stay (video)
    (26) GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS – Come Back And Finish What You Started (danced to by Legs & Co)
    (54) YELLOW DOG – Wait Until Midnight
    (13) VOYAGE – From East To West (video)
    (28) RENAISSANCE – Northern Lights
    (2) FATHER ABRAHAM & THE SMURFS – The Smurf Song (video)
    (19) ANDREW GOLD – How Can This Be Love (danced to by Legs & Co)
    (NEW) PLASTIC BERTRAND – Sha La La La Lee
    (10) LINDISFARNE – Run For Home ®
    (NEW) KANDIDATE – Don’t Wanna Say Goodnight
    (1) JOHN TRAVOLTA & OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN – You’re The One That I Want (video)
    (6) THE BOOMTOWN RATS – Like Clockwork (and credits)

Since it seems there's little chance of the show turning up in full I did some checking on youtube to see how much of it could be reconstructed. Excluding videos, the Lindisfarne repeat, I could only find the following Legs & Co/Andrew Gold routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgyYIqZOsQ

It doesn't seem like the person who recorded this recorded any more of the show - and none of the other studio performances seem to have been repeated on TOTP2 or will be repeated on a later show.
    The Legs (actually just a solo) Gladys Knight routine from this episode can be found here.
    http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/legs-co-come-back-and-finish-what-you.html
This discussion has been closed.