Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    In that case I am presuming he was a direct chart show replacement for Tom Browne, who had done his last Sunday evening show in March 1978?

Since the TOTP repeats began, I am only aware of having seen Tom Browne presenting one single edition, an early '77 one. A shame that, as I quite liked his delivery and style. Previously I knew next to nothing about him and had never heard his voice before either.

He was Tom's replacement, yes, His delivery and style was very good - it's why he got the job.

I would rate Tom with Fluff and Mark as the best chart show presenters ever.
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    They key is the lyric in the first verse of the song:" I remember throwing punches around/ And preaching from my chair." Townshend ended up in the doorway after a night in a Soho bar where he did indeed meet Steve Jones and Paul Cook who revered him. Yet Townshend felt ashamed because he had just signed a deal with Allen Klein finally making him seriously rich. He told the two Pistols that they were the future of rock; that he had sold out, and they engaged in a really heated discussion about "identity" (as you do); hence "who are you?" And I guess part of that is "My Generation" against "their generation." Except in this interpretation of the song Townshend sees my generation (c. 1977/78) as superior to his--that is that youth is always best. And he is not youthful anymore.

After this he collapsed in the Soho doorway and the kindly policeman advised him to go home.

Somewhere--I know not where-- there is a picture of the three of them together. Whether that ever made it onto the net I have yet to find out.
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Thanks for that info regarding the Who song Corriander, I didn't know that was it's meaning.
    My fave Who songs are Join Together and You Better You Bet.

'Join Together' is definitely my favourite Who song - although I don't know that many.

A couple of weeks before your first post on this thread I put up a link to the mimed performance video (as seen on TOTP in 1972) so in case you haven't seen it recently here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HDMCCLlGl4

I never get tired of seeing the band mingling with the audience. :cool:

I note Townshend uses a repeat electronic "jingle" (probably played on a synthesiser) throughout most of the song which sounds very similar to the synthetic effect he used the previous year on 'Baba O'Riley'.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Plus Mike Read will be joining them in October - so we will have an extra name on the bill to balance out the DLT/Savile shows! ;)

However assuming we get 1979 and DLT is still not in the clear then effectively we will only get three presenters, Jensen, Powell and Reid as Noel had left and Tony did his last one in April before his four year hiatus.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Tom Browne hasnt been seen on any BBC FOUR repeats.

The only 'one offs' were Paul Burnett & Ed Stewart!

I think I was recalling Paul Burnett on the edition from 17th February 1977 infact. Not sure why I was thinking Tom Browne, as I've checked out a list of presenters and he is not on it ever. Your list of "one offs" only applies to the period since the re-broadcasts Spring 1976 to August 1978 of course.

There is a TOTP presenter down as having done the show in 1974 called Greg Edwards who I have never heard of before.

With all this talk about The Who, apparently Roger Daltrey co-presented an edition of TOTP in August 1980 with Tommy Vance. What a cool presentation that was! :cool:
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However assuming we get 1979 and DLT is still not in the clear then effectively we will only get three presenters, Jensen, Powell and Reid as Noel had left and Tony did his last one in April before his four year hiatus.

Decision on whether DLT will face charges "within weeks" says todays Daily Mirror.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I think I was recalling Paul Burnett on the edition from 17th February 1977 infact. Not sure why I was thinking Tom Browne, as I've checked out a list of presenters and he is not on it ever. Your list of "one offs" only applies to the period since the re-broadcasts Spring 1976 to August 1978 of course.

There is a TOTP presenter down as having done the show in 1974 called Greg Edwards who I have never heard of before.

With all this talk about The Who, apparently Roger Daltrey co-presented an edition of TOTP in August 1980 with Tommy Vance. What a cool presentation that was! :cool:
    BIB - Any soul fan of a certain age who grew up in London and the Home Counties will know who Greg Edwards is.

When he presented those TOTPs in 1974 he was briefly at Radio 1 but would soon pitch up at London's Capital Radio presenting his "Soul Spectrum" soul/funk/disco show on Saturday evenings between 6-9 pm.

He was also one of the original "Soul Mafia" Caister soul weekender crew of DJs along with Chris Hill (yes, Renta Santa and Bionic Santa Chris Hill), Robbie Vincent, Froggy and many other on the London soul/funk scene of the time.

BIB - This was I think an experiment of new producer Michael Hurrll to team up a DJ and current star. It started with an edition in the middle of the Musician's Union strike presented by Peter Powell and B. A. Robertson.

It ran until the end of September and included pairings such as Steve Wright and Cliff Richard, Peter Powell and Elton John (hope he was a bit less wooden than when he presented solo in December 1977), Mike Read and Russ Abbott???? and one we may or may not see, DLT and Kevin Keegan. Yes, Kevin Keegan!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    '
    'I'm the school bully!
    !

Paul Nicholas' delivery of that line is hilariously OTT, even in a film like 'Tommy'.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was I think an experiment of new producer Michael Hurrll to team up a DJ and current star. It started with an edition in the middle of the Musician's Union strike presented by Peter Powell and B. A. Robertson.

It ran until the end of September and included pairings such as Steve Wright and Cliff Richard, Peter Powell and Elton John (hope he was a bit less wooden than when he presented solo in December 1977), Mike Read and Russ Abbott???? and one we may or may not see, DLT and Kevin Keegan. Yes, Kevin Keegan!

Were any of the above repeated on UK Gold? I don't seem to have any in my collection.

I recall during that run they had a section showing upcoming releases, and on the Vance/Daltrey edition they previewed the new Police album Zenyatta Mondatta.
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Were any of the above repeated on UK Gold? I don't seem to have any in my collection.

I recall during that run they had a section showing upcoming releases, and on the Vance/Daltrey edition they previewed the new Police album Zenyatta Mondatta.
    I think some were. I know I definitely have the Vance/Daltrey edition somewhere on a VHS tape in a box in my loft.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there a well known comment from Mr Daltrey on this edition, when introducing The Village People?
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Isn't there a well known comment from Mr Daltrey on this edition, when introducing The Village People?
    There is...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZvFmmGviM
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Who link Faversham Saint, it was great to see that after all this time. Another good one from the 70s is Won't get fooled again, powerhouse vocals from Roger on that one.
    I first took notice of the band when they sang The kids are alright...I was in high school at the time I've liked them ever since.
    Wish we had a thanks button on this forum.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    'Now I'm your Uncle Ernie, and I'll do what I bleedin' well want too! Fiddle about! Fiddle about...!'

'I'm the school bully! I'm the classroom cheat....!'

Plus you had to love Elton John, in those big glasses and very very big Doc Martens!

Some good memories there!

Yes - but the best memory is Ann Margret amongst the baked beans!! :eek: It has got to be THE BEST bit of the whole film - in fact the best bit seen in ANY film!! :)
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member

:( Oh really? BBC4 seriously need to get their act together if 1979 is to continue then. :mad: For goodness sake - why don't they just show the DLT ones as well! - He obviously hasn't done anything too serious or it would be out in the open by now :rolleyes:
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    :( Oh really? BBC4 seriously need to get their act together if 1979 is to continue then. :mad: For goodness sake - why don't they just show the DLT ones as well! - He obviously hasn't done anything too serious or it would be out in the open by now :rolleyes:

That's true, it would be, and if anyone chooses not to watch if he is presenting, then that is their personal choice.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Decision on whether DLT will face charges "within weeks" says todays Daily Mirror.

At last a conclusion is near. :)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just suppose he is facing no further action. Do we think that BBC4 will instantly re-instate him into the run of editions again, at whatever point his next episode would appear after the end of this August? Or will there be some excuse?

I read this two very contradictory ways. Either the long wait means there is nothing to answer and they have been scraping around for evidence that does not exist. Or they have been meticulously putting together what they consider a watertight case against him with whatever information they have. I now find it hard to tell. I'm not so confident anymore on a good outcome. There is without a doubt a hardline being taken on these cases, with political dimensions added too.

Does anyone else recall the Roger Daltrey schools TV drama he did in the mid 80's called Buddy? I may be wrong but I think it was part of the "Scene" strand. Very memorable and well made.
    Forum Member
    Just suppose he is facing no further action. Do we think that BBC4 will instantly re-instate him into the run of editions again, at whatever point his next episode would appear after the end of this August? Or will there be some excuse?

I read this two very contradictory ways. Either the long wait means there is nothing to answer and they have been scraping around for evidence that does not exist. Or they have been meticulously putting together what they consider a watertight case against him with whatever information they have. I now find it hard to tell. I'm not so confident anymore on a good outcome. There is without a doubt a hardline being taken on these cases, with political dimensions added too.

Does anyone else recall the Roger Daltrey schools TV drama he did in the mid 80's called Buddy? I may be wrong but I think it was part of the "Scene" strand. Very memorable and well made.[/QUOTEI remember it. It was the idea that eventually morphed into the film "Buddy's Song" with Chesney Hawkes playing the Buddy character.
    Forum Member

Does anyone else recall the Roger Daltrey schools TV drama he did in the mid 80's called Buddy? I may be wrong but I think it was part of the "Scene" strand. Very memorable and well made.
    BIB - I remember it. It was the idea that eventually morphed into the film "Buddy's Song" with Chesney Hawkes playing the Buddy character.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They used Jimmy Savile as a stand in during the summer of 1979.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    They used Jimmy Savile as a stand in during the summer of 1979.

That's unfortunate from a 2013 viewpoint.

Wonder how many shows, excepting JS & DLT, can be shown from 1979 & 1980?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmmm, something that could be cut then!
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Thanks for that Who link Faversham Saint, it was great to see that after all this time. Another good one from the 70s is Won't get fooled again, powerhouse vocals from Roger on that one.
    I first took notice of the band when they sang The kids are alright...I was in high school at the time I've liked them ever since.
    Wish we had a thanks button on this forum.

That's alright. The Who's 1971 TOTP studio performance of 'Won't Get Fooled Again' still survives and is often included on compilation shows like 'Sounds of the Seventies'.

Next Friday at 8,45pm BBC Four are showing a short 15 minute extract from 'Pop Goes The Sixties' which was originally transmitted on New Year's Eve 1969 and includes The Who performing 'I Can See For Miles'.
    In the old days after the title music had finished, the number one single started playing over the chart rubdown with the audience dancing as well (which unusually went from 1-20 as it was at the time). It was then played again at the end with the group in the studio.

I recently looked this up on Popscene and it seems TOTP first started playing the No. 1 single over the chart countdown at the start of the show on 2 June 1966 when Frank Sinatra was No. 1 with 'Strangers in the Night'. The last time this happened was on 10 December 1970 when Dave Edmunds was at the top of the chart with 'I Hear You Knockin'' which was the last regular show of the year before the seasonal specials. When TOTP resumed in January 1971 this practice was abandoned.

Sometime between 15 February 1968 and 29 January 1970 (?) the BBC decided to count down the chart from 30 to No. 1 instead of up the chart from 1 to 20.
This discussion has been closed.