Options

"historic sexual abuse"

astorastor Posts: 575
Forum Member
✭✭
As a woman who worked in a glamorous but fairly male dominated environment in the seventies and eighties I experienced my fair share of gropers and sexual chancers.

Annoying, but like most girls at that time, we just dealt with it and moved on.

What a bizarre world we live in now that old men from that era are being hauled before courts and given prison sentences for historic bum nipping whilst gangs of men in our Northern cities are not being properly prosecuted for the most disgusting sexual abuse of under age girls.

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    astor wrote: »
    As a woman who worked in a glamorous but fairly male dominated environment in the seventies and eighties I experienced my fair share of gropers and sexual chancers.

What a bizarre world we live in now that old men from that era are being hauled before courts and given prison sentences for historic bum nipping whilst gangs of men in our Northern cities are not being properly prosecuted for the most disgusting sexual abuse of under age girls.

Except these gangs of men are now being prosecuted.

I must admit I can't see a problem with historical sexual abuse being prosecuted. From my understanding the cases which the CPS have followed through on have involved a little bit more than just bottom pinching.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Re your last paragraph, astonishingly inaccurate on both counts I would say.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agreed with Michael Parkinson when he said it was 'a witch hunt' when it came to celebs.So many good men have been dragged through the courts and had their world turned upside down on the say so of 1 person.Only to be found not guilty.
    For sure, many Pakistani men in this country have done many many terrible deeds against youngsters and have gotten away with it.
    It does indeed seem that some people are easy targets,whilst others just fly beneath the radar.It's always easy to hide behind the race card.
  • Options
    astorastor Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Re your last paragraph, astonishingly inaccurate on both counts I would say.

I'm interested to hear why you think I am "astonishingly inaccurate"
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem I have with historic sex abuse cases is it's so hard to defend yourself against the charges.

I barely remb last week, so if you asked me what I was doing years and years ago, I'd be stumped.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem I have with historic sex abuse cases is it's so hard to defend yourself against the charges.

I barely remb last week, so if you asked me what I was doing years and years ago, I'd be stumped.

And that's why they are hard to prosecute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I agreed with Michael Parkinson when he said it was 'a witch hunt' when it came to celebs.So many good men have been dragged through the courts and had their world turned upside down on the say so of 1 person.Only to be found not guilty.
    For sure, many Pakistani men in this country have done many many terrible deeds against youngsters and have gotten away with it.
    It does indeed seem that some people are easy targets,whilst others just fly beneath the radar.It's always easy to hide behind the race card.

Why on earth are you (and the OP, for that matter) dragging ethnicity/nationality into it?

By the same logic:

'For sure, many white-British men in this country have done many terrible deeds against youngsters and have gotten away with it.'

or even,..

'For sure, many men, the world over, have done many terrible deeds against youngsters and have gotten away with it.'
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Except these gangs of men are now being prosecuted.

Are they?
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I think the OP makes a fair point. To my mind there is a unsettling irony that cases of historic groping by celebrities is shocking a nation where seemingly for more than a decade a blind eye has been turned to systematic grooming and coerced prostitution and relentless and repeated rape of vulnerable girls.

I am also concerned that we seem to be judging the past with the social attitudes of the present. I feel where the historic groping (and in most of the celebrity cases we are talking about non penetrative violations) was perpetrated against someone of say 14 or thereabouts the pursuit is justified. I am too young to remember, but find it hard to believe that putting your hand up the top of a teenage girl to fondle her breasts was ever acceptable even in the 1970s

Personally I don't feel it is acceptable to any women of whatever age but that's because I have the sensibilities of today and seemingly things were very different in the recent past.

The other day I happened to see Carry on Again Doctor; a film that was in cinemas around 1970 under an A certificate. Among the many dubious scenes by today's standards there was one in which Jim Dale encounters his old flame Barbara Windsor in his office. He leers at her and makes a phwoar sound then chases her around the office. He eventually chases her around the desk as she squeals 'Jim no!' or WTTE and catches her, pushing her back onto the desk and presses himself on top of her kissing her. She wiggles her legs about and tells him off again while not appearing to be traumatised or even offended.

That, in those days was considered to be good clean fun, cheeky but acceptable comedy. I bet hardly anyone batted an eyelid (maybe Mary Whitehouse). That presumably was the zeitgeist of the times when many of these historic offences occurred. It seems harsh to me to dig up the peccadillos of men who were behaving quite normally for their time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Are they?

The ring was blown open in 2010 and 5 of the main people involved were sentenced.

Some of them have been released as of this year, but they did serve 3-4 years in jail. Others are still in prison IIRC.

I'm not saying it's been handled brilliantly - it hasn't, but the way the OP speaks you'd think nobody of Pakistani origin has ever been prosecuted or convicted of these crimes, when they have.

The newest revelations relate to stuff that happened before 2010, as well as things that have happened subsequently. As long as the victims are willing to testify future charges can be brought against those who are guilty.

Reading between the lines though, the reason they seem to be struggling with prosecutions is the victims don't seem to wish to testify.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading between the lines though, the reason they seem to be struggling with prosecutions is the victims don't seem to wish to testify.

After the way they were treated by the authorities previously who could blame them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    After the way they were treated by the authorities previously who could blame them.

Maybe this, but I wouldn't presume to know everything.

The profile of the victims is that they were generally more vulnerable and socially isolated that even your average rape/abuse victim.

It's very hard to get people like that to testify even if they received impeccable service from the police and local authority.

These cases are legally speaking a real nuisance to crack, and I think it has far less to do with race/ethnicity than people think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this, but I wouldn't presume to know everything.

The profile of the victims is that they were generally more vulnerable and socially isolated that even your average rape/abuse victim.

It's very hard to get people like that to testify even if they received impeccable service from the police and local authority.

These cases are legally speaking a real nuisance to crack, and I think it has far less to do with race/ethnicity than people think.

The council and police knew exactly what was going on, they even tried to cover it up to help race relations, it's all in the recent report.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal
  • Options
    Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    I think it's about time the authorities got right to the heart of the matter and concentrated more on REAL child abuse. Especially in the care homes. Are they afraid to really investigate for fear of what they may turn up?

These should be by far more important than trotting out these old historical cases.

One has to wonder if there is rhyme or reason in doing so???
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat- wrote: »
    I think it's about time the authorities got right to the heart of the matter and concentrated more on REAL child abuse. Especially in the care homes. Are they afraid to really investigate for fear of what they may turn up?

These should be by far more important than trotting out these old historical cases.

One has to wonder if there is rhyme or reason in doing so???

There shouldn't be any issue of choice in the matter, both types of crimes should be given all the time and resources the police need, as should the prosecution of anyone who makes false allegations. Historical cases are just as important as today's and my heart goes out to the victims of the 60's and 70's who for whatever reason did not feel like they could stand up to these criminals and have then had to live with the after effects of their abuse for decades without any support or comfort, I find it bewildering that some are suggesting they do not deserve the chance to achieve justice.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Mentorist wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any issue of choice in the matter, both types of crimes should be given all the time and resources the police need, as should the prosecution of anyone who makes false allegations. Historical cases are just as important as today's and my heart goes out to the victims of the 60's and 70's who for whatever reason did not feel like they could stand up to these criminals and have then had to live with the after effects of their abuse for decades without any support or comfort, I find it bewildering that some are suggesting they do not deserve the chance to achieve justice.

If you're talking about historic cases where the woman has been raped, then obviously that is a different thing, and she would have had to live with the effects of that afterwards, but if you're talking about the historic cases where someone has basically just been touched up for a few seconds, then as unpleasant and unwelcome as that may have been to them, what on earth though would they need "support and comfort" for??

Would a woman really be living with the "after effects of their abuse for decades" just because she worked with touchy feely men in the 70s and 80s and had her bum pinched a few times!

A lot of peoples opinions on here are so OTT it's laughable.

The OP imo is definitely right in what she says.

I think maybe some people should really think again what the word abuse really means, and I strongly doubt it's got anything to do with having your bum pinched!
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member

I'm so pleased to have read your post after reading so many others that basically are draining me.........

I remember reading the thread about DLT and for all the hype surrounding his case, I never once read where he had actually raped somebody, and i remember thinking, that as much as he's a groper....what is all the fuss about though? Especially considering it happened so long ago!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, I'm pretty sure that maybe 25% of men from the 1970's would be up on similar charges were the process to be pursued to its logical conclusion. For offences such as "groping" there should be a time limit on their pursuance. After one year, they are time barred, otherwise it becomes a witch hunt, difficult to get meaningful evidence, and a waste of public money.

There's something vaguely absurd about "Yes your honour, on July 29th 1975, whilst in a pub, this pervert placed his hands on my bum for 5 seconds" - in my opinion anyway.

Only for the more serious accusations, such as rape and more violent sexual assaults should there be a court process after such a long period of time.

I hear what you are saying, but those clowns are now being pursued and prosecuted.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I agreed with Michael Parkinson when he said it was 'a witch hunt' when it came to celebs. So many good men have been dragged through the courts and had their world turned upside down on the say so of 1 person.Only to be found not guilty.
    BIB - Interesting "comparison".
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Historical groping is still groping and without consent is sexual assault. It is right that allegations are investigated. The bizarre world was the world where it wasn't treated seriously.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i was groped by a council workman in my home while my baby was sleeping, i regret not kicking up a stink at the time because it really has had lasting effects.

i found out a couple of years later that the same man had a history of it [and other pervy acts] and had trapped a woman in her greenhouse and wished i`d taken it further.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone point me to the cases where men are being prosecuted for touching someone's bum? I haven't see any anywhere. If that is the case then its very silly.

I remember those days very well. being pushed against a wall having my boobs groped and when trying to get away, getting told I was a lesbian or frigid and being laughed at by the groper and their mates. hahaha God it was all so funny in those days.:confused:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was groped by a council workman in my home while my baby was sleeping, i regret not kicking up a stink at the time because it really has had lasting effects.

i found out a couple of years later that the same man had a history of it [and other pervy acts] and had trapped a woman in her greenhouse and wished i`d taken it further.

Just out of interest, what stopped you at the time ?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what stopped you at the time, and would you consider it now against the same individual ?

How long ago was this incident ?

my then husband found and threatened him and then the man came round with his boss on the monday trying to pass it off as a bit of fun and "only tickling". it would have been pointless going to the police, i doubt they would have entertained it. i wouldn`t bother now because he`s most likely dead but if he were up for any other of the same offences i would speak to the police about it.

this was in 1987.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Being a child of the 60's and 70's I can understand how sexual abuse at that time would not be treated seriously.

If a girl of 13 had sex with an older man then the attitudes of the people at that time was that the girl was a bit loose and it was failing of her and her parents.

If a woman got groped it was her fault because of what she was wearing and how she presented herself.

I think the problem with this period of history was that sex liberation of women which was going on at that time was competing against the historic Victorian values of the older generations.

Any sex act against a woman during this period was generally regarded by the establishment to be the fault of the new 'promiscuous' women.

I can understand why woman did not press charges at that time as they were more than likely be labelled as a tart rather than a victim.

With the Saville enquiry into Historic sexual abuse it has allowed these victims to come out and say that yes they were a Victim and no it was not their fault.