Remember Me

Comments

• Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    That's the only other thing I've seen him in :D

There was one many years ago set a couple of hundred years ago. There was a blond actor playing the apprentice to someone, and he was sent out on an errand, then creepy ghosty things happened. I can't remember any details about it, but I remember enjoying it, and wish I could remember what is was called.

I thought you had to apply to the Palace for a telegram from the Queen - it's not like she has a list of everybody's birthdays! If that's the case I wonder who applied for him? Also it would have been interesting to see the date stamp on the envelope so we could see how old he is. We now know he's at least 110 (there were three telegrams weren't there?)

BIB. Yes, I thought that. Apparently the pensions office advises about birthdays for people who get a state pension, but for anniversaries you have to apply. To be sure, you should also advise for birthdays.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/hmthequeen/queenandanniversarymessages/anniversarymessages.aspx

The Queen sends cards on the 100th, 105th, then every year. His were for 105 & 110. Where were the ones between?

And let us be honest, if there was a request for 110th birthday card, don't you honestly think someone would have been alerted and a fuss made locally?

I am not usually one of those pedants who find fault with a bus or car being the wrong model for the time a drama was set in, but I did find this a glaring fault that could have been avoided. There would have been many other ways to establish how old he was among all the paperwork in that house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's the woman in the care home? She said Tom hadn't changed. She must be approaching 100.

She definitely has something to do with it. When he turned up at the care home she just stared at him as if he was someone from her past. Also her saying nothing, then saying "he hasn't changed a bit" is rather significant don't you think? "Hasn't changed a bit" - like he looked exactly like that many years ago so he must be a ghost?

Strange how he just suddenly turned up beside Hannah at Scarborough too.

Still claiming state pension (see previous post). No cash card or credit card. Neighbour does his banking.

Electric cut off in the house. No GP. Ancient food tins on the shelf. All signs of no-one alive living there.

Yup, he must be a ghost. But a ghost masses of people have seen. And why would a ghost need £5,000?

Now watch next week's episode and see just how wrong I am! :D
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I suppose if that one is attuned to this sort of nonsense then they might find it enjoyable. I watched episode 1 and thought it had promise but last night's was tedious and I kept on looking at my clock which is always a bad sign.
    Yes, the photography and scenery were amazing and beautiful but the plot, well, meh as the kiddies say.
    Shall I watch next weeks episode? Well probably just to see what other nonsense this writer had thought up.
  • Options
    LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also thought it was odd that he had cards from the Queen when you have to apply to get them.
    Here are my theories which will be shot down in flames next week.

There is a connection between the lady who lives opposite Tom and Isha.

Isha was responsible for Tom's wife's death.

Tom drowned Isha because he wanted to marry and she wanted to keep him.

Isha wants the little brother as a replacement.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, I started thinking that Nancy(old woman in care home), is actually the bride from 1950 who was suppose to be dead!!!! They keep flashing the camera at one point from the photo to her then to as she is now. The chin looked the same to me. Was that why she looked so frightened when Tom was brought into the care home.

Okay big question? Who pushed Isha out of the rowing boat?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If hes really dead, whos been getting his pension all this time?
    The young girl is shown a cutting saying "Bride in tragic fall", she then says "What happened to her??", mind you it didnt say she died, did it.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit slow and dragged out at times.

The unresolved grief aspect is certainly writ large and it seems to be heavily borrowing from different ghost stories written by M. R. James.

Ultimately ghost stories are all about the denouement so I'm looking forward to seeing how things are pulled together next week.

Particularly liked the telegrams from the queen and what that suggests about Tom.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another "Also seen in" . . .

The threadbare teddy on the nursing chair in the attic . . . now featuring in the Freeview advert singing "I want to know what love is"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    If hes really dead, whos been getting his pension all this time?
    The young girl is shown a cutting saying "Bride in tragic fall", she then says "What happened to her??", mind you it didnt say she died, did it.

BIB I thought that. But everything in the house points to no human occupation. If he hasn't been reported as dead, could his state pension be going into his bank account still? Which would implicate the neighbour who does his banking as being involved. Descendent of Isha maybe? Then again, how long ago could you have the state pension paid into a bank account?

You are right. I don't think we saw enough of the cutting to see if his bride died. If she didn't, it may well be Nancy.

If the Palin character is supposed to be 110+, no way would he look like he does. No-one of that age wouldn't have a GP either! Even dramatists wouldn't try to stretch our belief that far - or would they? So either he is a ghost, or not Tom at all.

What I don't get is that if he is a ghost, he must be able to manifest himself as human very well. So many people have touched him etc. After the "fall" downstairs there were medical people examining him. My forensic brain is in overdrive and coming up with conflicting evidence. :confused: Maybe that is what the writer wanted.
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pookiesboo wrote: »
    Anyone else think Tom isn't as innocent as he seems?

Quite likely.

I'm not sure that he is dead but perhaps cursed and the curse won't be lifted until he does something like find a version of "Scarborough Fair" where the tasks are doable.
    Lillith wrote:
    I also thought it was odd that he had cards from the Queen when you have to apply to get them.
    Here are my theories which will be shot down in flames next week.

There is a connection between the lady who lives opposite Tom and Isha.

Isha was responsible for Tom's wife's death.

Tom drowned Isha because he wanted to marry and she wanted to keep him.

Isha wants the little brother as a replacement

I think those theories are pretty feasible or similarly

Tom's wife was responsible for Isha's death

Tom killed his wife (or thought he had) for killing Isha.

Isha could be looking at Hannah's brother as a replacement but there is also the younger of the brothers who broke into Tom's house (the son of his neighbour).
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    You are right. I don't think we saw enough of the cutting to see if his bride died.
    The cutting said she died at home. Which does not fit in with it being accidental?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    The cutting said she died at home. Which does not fit in with it being accidental?

You are right. I've just looked again on IPlayer. There was a death certificate dated 1950, and her age was 18. So born 1931/2. Which would tie in with how old Nancy looks now. But if Dorothea really did die, who is Nancy, and where does she fit in?

I have a horrible feeling the end of this is going to be a let down!
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *edit*
    Strange how he just suddenly turned up beside Hannah at Scarborough too.

He didnt .It was an hallucination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »

Probably right there. Sorting the wheat from the chaff; working out who is real and who is a ghost; what significance certain people/objects have. All doing my head in! :D
  • Options
    couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the first but the second was very slow and didn't really tell us much. It's alright, nothing great.
  • Options
    dec7000dec7000 Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    In the end there will be an attempt to offer logical explanations. The social worker will have died because of a building fault with the window. The care worker will have taken an overdose following the shock and stress of the death. Nancy will be the sister of Dorothea and sees Tom as he looked back in the 50's because it is Tom's son she sees.. Tom present day is Tom's son who failed to report his father's death and so his pension continues to be paid. A lot of other things will be imaginary/hallucinatory or leave enough for us all to have doubt about whether there was a ghost/spirit or not.

All this follows a particularly harrowing and traumatic episode(s) in Tom's life and will end with his sad death.

Of course, I could be way off the mark! I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the final episode.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely think the neighbour knows more than she is letting on. When she was in the attic with the copper she said "if he had invited me in I think I would have made an excuse.........I don't like empty houses". Well if he was there the house wouldn't have been empty would it? So maybe he is a ghost.

I see they played the old 'one size fits all' trick. Did you see the size of the guy in the next bed. His clothes would've fallen off Michael Palin.
  • Options
    nan_thanan_tha Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I think the old woman in the wheel chair at the care home is Tom's wife or sister-in-law. That would explain why she has a similarity to the woman who died. I did wonder if she could be his daughter however...
    All very mysterious...woooooo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mustard99 wrote: »
    Definitely think the neighbour knows more than she is letting on. When she was in the attic with the copper she said "if he had invited me in I think I would have made an excuse.........I don't like empty houses". Well if he was there the house wouldn't have been empty would it? So maybe he is a ghost.

I see they played the old 'one size fits all' trick. Did you see the size of the guy in the next bed. His clothes would've fallen off Michael Palin.

BIB I noticed that. You would have thought it would have been easy to get someone roughly the same size as Palin. It was only a bit part after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dec7000 wrote: »
    In the end there will be an attempt to offer logical explanations. The social worker will have died because of a building fault with the window. The care worker will have taken an overdose following the shock and stress of the death. Nancy will be the sister of Dorothea and sees Tom as he looked back in the 50's because it is Tom's son she sees.. Tom present day is Tom's son who failed to report his father's death and so his pension continues to be paid. A lot of other things will be imaginary/hallucinatory or leave enough for us all to have doubt about whether there was a ghost/spirit or not.

All this follows a particularly harrowing and traumatic episode(s) in Tom's life and will end with his sad death.

Of course, I could be way off the mark! I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the final episode.

Good theories, but why was the care worker soaking wet when she died if she took an overdose?
  • Options
    dec7000dec7000 Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Good theories, but why was the care worker soaking wet when she died if she took an overdose?

The logical explanation is that in her present mental condition she, for some reason, took a shower or bath fully clothed then took her life. If you don't believe in ghosts then that is how it will appear. However, this being a ghost story many will not accept that explanation. A good ending will make us aware of what happened in the past, show us logical explanations for most things but leave enough for us to believe the spirit world is somehow involved. It will also, probably, finish rather sadly.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Smint wrote: »
    The threadbare teddy on the nursing chair in the attic . . .

. . . then appeared on the bed of Hannah's brother (except it looked like it had been cleaned up - presumably by Isha when she tidied his bedrooom.
    egghead1 wrote: »

Or was he? I assumed he appeared and just as suddenly disappeared because he's a ghost. Isha wasn't an hallucination as she appeared on the photo with her brother.
    mustard99 wrote: »

That's a very good point. When she said that it didn't really register with me, but you're right.

Which was going to be my question too :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many good theories on this thread. I just wish I could piece them all together and get the answer.

But then, that is what a story like this is all about. Keep the audience thinking. To be fair, from the posts on here, the author has done a good job. :)

This is an excellent thread. I am really enjoying it.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the characters are 'missing' something aren't they though, personal tragedies, loneliness, etc.... It's as if the entity jumps in when people are at their most vulnerable.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    dec7000 wrote: »

I didn't understand this part at all as I thought 'something got her' when she was up against the door? But then she had her dinner in front of her :confused:

I am really enjoying this but still had to watch the jungle after to get the scary bits out of my head before bed :blush::D

Loving all the input on this thread as all mine is that an Asian woman fell from a boat was washed up on the beach and is getting revenge on lots of people :D

I do hope everything is explained next week.