Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised that Norman Hudis is still going! I always preferred the films made with his stories as the humour was warmer and less coarse than the Talbot Rothwell ones.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    In what way ?

She had problems with alcoholism and periods of depression and loneliness. Between 1979 and 1981 she lost her agent and mentor Peter Eade, her best friend Hattie Jacques and her mother. In 1982 she had a mental breakdown and spent time in a psychiatric hospital.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Saw a trailer last night for Carry on Forever, which is on Good Friday Part 1 of 3/

Martin Clunes narrates this three-part documentary, part of a celebration of British comedy institution of the Carry On.
    And what a treat it is.! Alongside clips from the Carry On films, there are interviews with surviving cast members including Shirley Eaton, Amanda Barrie and Bernard Cribbins, and writer Norman Hudis.

Watch for: Never-before-seen footage from the film series, some wonderful anecdotes, including Amanda Barrie's revelation to the crew on Carry on Cabbie that she couldn't drive - so had to have her taxi towed.

Can't wait!

Bump for tonight. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone got the dvd boxset with the 30 movies on? is it worth a look as amazon as the set for £30.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well £30 for 30 movies sounds like a bargain regardless. I'm tempted myself at that price.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cal2008 wrote: »
    has anyone got the dvd boxset with the 30 movies on? is it worth a look as amazon as the set for £30.

I bought it a few years back. But, its unopened and still got the cellophane wrapper on it. Its nice to have as part of my DVD collection but because of the frequency of the films being shown on TV I've never felt the need to open it and actually watch any of them. :o
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cal2008 wrote: »

Is it worth it?...

Hell yes!!.

I have the set, and watch them a lot.

Always a good stand by in case there is nothing on and have exhausted my recorded progs.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Is it possible for Admin to merge the 'Carry On Forever' thread with this one? :)
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    Strange that Babs Windsor did nt appear in the doc
    (except in film excerps )
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Strange that Babs Windsor did nt appear in the doc
    (except in film excerps )

She rarely does. Maybe she doesn't want to be reminded of it for some reason.

I wonder why Liz Fraser didn't star in more Carry Ons? I always thought she was a good actress. I have a vague recollection that she dared to ask Peter Rogers for more money. He didn't like that and promptly dropped her from any future films.

Not sure whether this is true, of course, but I'm sure I heard it somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From mem Liz did a magazine interview and said something that upset
    Peter Rogers and she did nt get invited to the next Carry On

Think they brought in Joan Sims to provide the glamour .

Pity Liz did nt keep stum , she could have done a lot more Carry Ons and become
    one of the gang.

It was the era of Di Dors..... pity she did nt get on board for one or two !

Kenny Williams got a cheque for £ 6,000 for his efforts, wonder if he knew
    that Phil Silvers got a cheque for £30,000 for the same movie ?
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The various biographers and authors of the many Carry On books seem to agree that they all knew what PS got for "Camel" which peed the cast off mightily (think its mentioned in KW's diary's too) And in the business sense was a total waste as the hoped for boost in American sales never happened.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member

one of the gang.

There's a Steptoe film on at the minute, and Diana Dors is in it.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Well £30 for 30 movies sounds like a bargain regardless. I'm tempted myself at that price.

I have seen it in shops for £25. I think HMV and Sainsbury both have it for that price. Just proves its not always cheaper online.
  • Options
    Forum Member

one of the gang.

Joan Sims was in the earlier films such as Nurse, Teacher and Constable. I can't remember how many Liz Fraser was in (Teacher and Cruising) but I thought, in Cruising, she was probably a replacement for Joan, who wasn't in it. So Joan wasn't a replacement for Liz in the series. I thought Liz may be the forerunner of Barbara Windsor. DId you mean 'Babs' was brought in for the glamour, rather than Joan?

Liz Fraser had been in Boulting Brothers films in the late 50s/early 60s such as 'I'm Alright Jack', so she was a familiar face. I don't know much about her but I'm surprised she didn't do more post-1960s TV work such as Eastenders, Casualty, The Bill, etc.

Re Diana Dors - she makes me laugh in that Steptoe film and was great in The 'Amazing Mr Blunden'. She'd gone past the 'glamour puss' era and seemed to be relishing in playing a character who looked and acted revolting. Had she lived longer I reckon she may have cornered acting for the female 'grotesque' market eg, drunks, social outcasts and eccentrics. Much more interesting for her to play, I would imagine. Having said that, I haven't seen any of the 1950s films she acted in when she was billed as a 'starlet'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I have seen it in shops for £25. I think HMV and Sainsbury both have it for that price. Just proves its not always cheaper online.

I bought one about 5 years ago. I think it was about £35 then. It also has a DVD of extras which was interesting and the TV show 'Carry on Laughing' which varies in quality.

It also gave me a chance to watch 'Carry on Emmannuelle', which while scraping close to the bottom of the barrel, still isn't as poor as 'Carry on England' and has some funny moments. Jack Douglas acted well in it, away from that annoying Alf Ippititimus character. The film's theme is good and was written by Kenny Lynch and performed by 'Masterplan'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKWry8BFQSk
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liz Fraswer was in 4 of the Carry On films - Ragradless, Cruising, Cabby and Behind.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Norman Hudis is still going! I always preferred the films made with his stories as the humour was warmer and less coarse than the Talbot Rothwell ones.
    What a shame he didn't mention about scripts that he had written that wasn't produced. I just read about them here. I'm not sure Spaceman would have worked but would have liked to seen Again Nurrse.
    Is it possible for Admin to merge the 'Carry On Forever' thread with this one? :)
    Seconded. The link to is here for anyone else who hasn't seen it yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    y our prob right, Babs Windsor was prob brought in to fill the glamour gap
    when Liz got cold shouldered.

Liz did say something disparaging about the Carry Ons in a mag interview that
    must have peed off Peter Rodgers and it looks like she never worked on a Carry on ever again.

Nice to see Sally Geeson ... 60 plus but still gorgeous....
    Pity Carol Hawkins was nt on too !

Great to see Margaret Nolan .... maybe the hottest Carry On babe of all time ?
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ No, Valerie Leon (or Shirley Eaton)! :D
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan Sims was in the earlier films such as Nurse, Teacher and Constable. I can't remember how many Liz Fraser was in (Teacher and Cruising) but I thought, in Cruising, she was probably a replacement for Joan, who wasn't in it. So Joan wasn't a replacement for Liz in the series.

Joan was supposed to be in Carry On Cruising but wasn't very well so Dilys Laye was brought in to replace her.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan was supposed to be in Carry On Cruising but wasn't very well so Dilys Laye was brought in to replace her.

Im glad she did, she is great in it. I was never much of a fan of Joan Sims.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In actual fact I think prob Babs was brought in to fill the glamour gap left when
    Liz had that magazine interview and upset the Carry On top bananas

I bet Liz regretted it as she missed out on a whole decade of work
    For Kenny it was 6 weeks an a cheque for £6000...
    the average guy at the time would have to graft 3 years to get £6000

But dont worry about Liz , she put her money into property...
    shares and other investments an became quite rich
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    In actual fact I think prob Babs was brought in to fill the glamour gap left when
    Liz had that magazine interview and upset the Carry On top bananas

I bet Liz regretted it as she missed out on a whole decade of work
    For Kenny it was 6 weeks an a cheque for £6000...
    the average guy at the time would have to graft 3 years to get £6000

But dont worry about Liz , she put her money into property...
    shares and other investments an became quite rich

Liz says now that she hates the Carry on's and hates what they did to her career cos she couldn't find work after she'd been in them because the 'carry on' tag was stuck on her.
    She did a radio programme some years ago talking about her career and she refused to talk about the Carry on films.

So I was surprised she appeared in this programme. Maybe its cos it doesn't matter now, as far as working is concerned.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

I don't think Joan was ever brought in to provide glamour. She never got those kind of roles in the films and she wasn't really a 'glamour' type even in the very early films.
    Barbara was brought in for that in 1964.