Sky Engineer Installed Wrong Box

methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
Forum Member
I ordered and paid for a 1TB box last Saturday which was to be installed this morning. However instead of the 1TB box the engineer installed a 500gb box. I didn't spot the mistake until he left. I rang the engineer and he said he would check with the office and see if they had any 1TB boxes and ring me back. I am fuming. :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow what a bummer. You've got to watch the so and sos like a hawk:eek: That would be a nice little earner for some unscrupulous installers if they could get away with it.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow what a bummer. You've got to watch the so and sos like a hawk:eek: That would be a nice little earner for some unscrupulous installers if they could get away with it.

Has it occurred to you that it was an honest mistake and possibly due to mis-information given to him. You can't just take boxes and sell them as you seem to think especially if your a sky installer or sub-contractor as they have to be scanned in on the job details and are traceable. Did the op explain that he had ordered a 1tb during the install as both carton clearly have 500gb or 1tb written on them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Has it occurred to you that it was an honest mistake and possibly due to mis-information given to him. You can't just take boxes and sell them as you seem to think especially if your a sky installer or sub-contractor as they have to be scanned in on the job details and are traceable. Did the op explain that he had ordered a 1tb during the install as both carton clearly have 500gb or 1tb written on them.

So true CTD101

I am getting fed up with people always coming down on us. Its either a genuine mistake or Sky have not given him the right job.

Hardly any need to start talking about the Engineer doing anything like selling them on the side. As this is not possible as like has been said they are tracked
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Just an update: The engineer rang back and said that he had spoken to his office and he had also phoned Sky who he claims had never heard of 1TB boxes. :eek: He however spoke to someone else at Sky who said they would ship a 1TB box and it will be Monday at the earliest before I get one.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    Just an update: The engineer rang back and said that he had spoken to his office and he had also phoned Sky who he claims had never heard of 1TB boxes. :eek: He however spoke to someone else at Sky who said they would ship a 1TB box and it will be Monday at the earliest before I get one.

Not to cause a riot here but was he a sub-contractor or a sky installer? The 1tb boxes are what we would call push stock and are sent out to our stock pick-up locations on the days of the job. Unfortunately I dont know the procedure with sub-contractors, not that the installer is to blame here in any way.
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Not to cause a riot here but was he a sub-contractor or a sky installer? The 1tb boxes are what we would call push stock and are sent out to our stock pick-up locations on the days of the job. Unfortunately I dont know the procedure with sub-contractors, not that the installer is to blame here in any way.

I am not blaming the installer in any way there has just been a break down in communications somewhere along the line. I am not sure if the installer was a sub contractor or not when I asked him was that a 1TB box he said it was and it wasn't until after he left that I discovered that it was only a 500gb box.
  • ZaxxZaxx Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    The same thing happened to me.

The Sky installer turned up with a 250GB box.

I told him that I'd ordered a 1TB box.

He had never heard of a 1TB box.

However within an hour he returned with the correct box.

He said the job had been put down incorrectly as a new HD install.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    I could forsee this sort of thing happening with the introduction of boxes with different size hard drives in them.

Worse still, I await the first thread where a customer has his faulty 1.5Tb box replaced with the now standard 500gb box or even an original 300gb (refurbs of course).

Also, how long before someone with a faulty 500gb box manages to blag a 1.5Tb replacement (by telling the installer it was a 1.5Tb)?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the new boxes should have a big yellow sticker on them stating the HDD capacity. This of course should be a manufacturer initiative to ensure compliance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Also, how long before someone with a faulty 500gb box manages to blag a 1.5Tb replacement (by telling the installer it was a 1.5Tb)?[/QUOTE]

The boxes look completely different but you never know your luck :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    srhill wrote: »
    I could forsee this sort of thing happening with the introduction of boxes with different size hard drives in them.

Worse still, I await the first thread where a customer has his faulty 1.5Tb box replaced with the now standard 500gb box or even an original 300gb (refurbs of course).

Also, how long before someone with a faulty 500gb box manages to blag a 1.5Tb replacement (by telling the installer it was a 1.5Tb)?

Not having a go at the installers:D
    I would have to say that any engineer that was to replace a 500gb with a 1.5tb box or vice versa as a repair job should not be working for sky. Most engineers are brilliant at their job but you do get the odd one who does not know what they are doing. One engineer did not even know what an LMB was:eek:.
    I recently had my box changed and the engineer checked my dish and cables and was a pleasure to deal with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    One engineer did not even know what an LMB was:eek:.

What is a LMB?
    Is it something that goes in a Madras curry? (i've seen this in one of the takeaway leaflets...LMB Madras / CHK Madras etc etc))
    Not surprised the engineer didn't know what a LMB was, as i don't think they train them up in cooking...:)

Anyway, got to go. My "Low Noise Block" needs tweaking...:D

LOL!
  • SPARKIE1984SPARKIE1984 Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was waiting for that^^^^ :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    fulabeer wrote: »
    What is a LMB?
    Is it something that goes in a Madras curry? (i've seen this in one of the takeaway leaflets...LMB Madras / CHK Madras etc etc))
    Not surprised the engineer didn't know what a LMB was, as i don't think they train them up in cooking...:)

Anyway, got to go. My "Low Noise Block" needs tweaking...:D

LOL!

I walked into that one.:) need to check my spelling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Typos...the staple diet of us comedians/fools! :D
    Forum Member
    Just an update; Installer is supposed to be calling this morning to finally install my 1TB box. So fingers crossed all goes well. :)
    Forum Member
    I am now the proud owner of a 1TB HD box. I must say it is an object of desire. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I am now the proud owner of a 1TB HD box. I must say it is an object of desire. :)

It certainly is. :) Mine was installed this morning in under half an hour. Looks great and performs very well. This was the first one the engineer had installed, he was also very impressed by the look of it.
    Forum Member
    It certainly is. :) Mine was installed this morning in under half an hour. Looks great and performs very well. This was the first one the engineer had installed, he was also very impressed by the look of it.

Congrats on getting the new box :) My engineer also said that it was the first one he had installed as well and he couldn't get over how amazing looking it was and when he saw the remote he said WOW :D First impressions of the box is that the PQ looks amazing and the box is very responsive. I have just gone through the movies and put into my planner the ones that aren't out on Bluray yet. :)
  • SPARKIE1984SPARKIE1984 Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booked myself in for the 1tb box being installed this Saturday!!! Can't wait!!

Also got an engineer call on Sunday to replace a sky HD and sky+ box both thomson

woo good riddens thomson HD!! (unless they replace it with a refurb one)

so got a weekend of sky.... Oh joy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    you may like to know all Engineers are vetted and are probably the most honest workers you can find as the are cheeked,
    and as for the earner i don't think so as the box as to be tallied up and if it does not then they are not paid by SKY.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Not having a go at the installers:D
    One engineer did not even know what an LMB was:eek:
    UM!! no need to say anything is there:D
  • xmanxman Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Thinking of upgrading from sky+ to sky+hd. With the free box offer (£60 installation) what size box do you get. I really wanted the 1.5tb (1tb usable box). Is this a free option. If not can you just pay a bit more when booking or do you have to go the non subsidised route.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xman wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading from sky+ to sky+hd. With the free box offer (£60 installation) what size box do you get. I really wanted the 1.5tb (1tb usable box). Is this a free option. If not can you just pay a bit more when booking or do you have to go the non subsidised route.

I think you have missed all the posts on this. The 1.5TB box is ONLY available from Sky at the moment and it is a premium box that is charged at 249 pounds even for a new installation/new customer.

The only free boxes are either 320GB or 500GB boxes. You cannot choose although the reality is you should be able to get a 500GB box if you ask the engineer. No promises though if he doesn't have stock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you may like to know all Engineers are vetted and are probably the most honest workers you can find as the are cheeked,
    and as for the earner i don't think so as the box as to be tallied up and if it does not then they are not paid by SKY.

I think there is a temptation that any negative comment about 1 engineer, seems to be labelling all engineers the same way.

I had a great engineer although I had to wait an extra day for my box due to logistics not sending my engineer the right one. He came on his day off to collect the box from the depot at 8 in the morning and then straight over to me to install it. How many companies/services do you know where an engineer would give up some time of a day off?! On the day it should have been installed he still popped over to say hello, shake hands and apologise for Sky's mess up.

However, I do think Sky have failed on some aspects
    1) Not all Sky engineers seem to be aware of the 1TB box. Is this due to poor training/communication
    2) Logistics have messed up the distribution of these boxes on several occasions.

Neither of these points relate to the ability of the engineer themselves.

For the OP I am concerned that it took several days to get the box. It should have been fixed for next day. But perhaps he was a sub and not a Sky branded engineer.