Options

17 year old gets 11 years in jail for ISIS support on twitter [USA]

miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A 17 year old in America has just been handed 11 years and 4 months in jail for running a twitter account supporting ISIS, telling people how to secretly fund ISIS through bitcoin, and helping one of his followers cross into Syria to join ISIS.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/28/virginia-teen-gets-11-years-for-isis-support-on-twitter/

I am quite surprised at the lengthy jail sentence imposed on someone so young for doing what he has done. But, at the same time, I commend them for taking such strong action against him, and hope this will deter others from doing the same.

Hopefully the UK will follow suit! I bet Anjem Choudary won't get anywhere near as long as 11 years in jail, if he even gets jail time at all. >:(

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news that a supporter of terrorist murderers has been put away for a number of years
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Nice one although 20yrs minimum would be a more appropriate stretch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any other sources ?
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 17 year old in America has just been handed 11 years and 4 months in jail for running a twitter account supporting ISIS, telling people how to secretly fund ISIS through bitcoin, and helping one of his followers cross into Syria to join ISIS.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/28/virginia-teen-gets-11-years-for-isis-support-on-twitter/

I am quite surprised at the lengthy jail sentence imposed on someone so young for doing what he has done. But, at the same time, I commend them for taking such strong action against him, and hope this will deter others from doing the same.

Hopefully the UK will follow suit! I bet Anjem Choudary won't get anywhere near as long as 11 years in jail, if he even gets jail time at all. >:(

I know this is a very serious issue but it is annoying sex offenders are getting sentences which are less than this. Hopefully this teen will realise the error of his ways in jail.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any other sources ?

"A high school honor student who pleaded guilty to conspiring to provide material support to Islamic State through social media has been sentenced to 136 months in prison. The teen aided his friend in traveling to Syria to join the jihadist group in January.
    Trends
    Global terrorism, Islamic State
    Tags
    Children, Crime, FBI, Internet, Religion, Security, Social networks, Syria, Terrorism, USA
    In June, Ali Shukri Amin, 17"

https://www.rt.com/usa/313747-virginia-amin-amreekiwitness-prison/
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good.

I hope the little shit suffers inside.

I wonder what sort of sentence he would get in this country?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news! Any one who supports the evil ISIS needs to be locked up for a long long time or sectioned for insanity.
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Ali Shukri Amin, 17, of Manassas, Virginia, was sentenced today to 136 months in prison to be followed by a lifetime of supervised release and monitoring of his internet activities'

“Observations made by school staff and subsequent follow-up by the School Resource Officer were some of the earlier indicators of suspicious behavior regarding this individual,” said Chief Hudson. “Those observations were quickly relayed to our partners with the JTTF who acted upon this information very quickly.

This guy admits to using twitter to support ISIL and facilitating the travel of an 18 year old to Syria.

If it was actual war he would be shot, but because he only typed on his keyboard they will observe his internet activity for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely convinced this is a great solution. I mean, he hasn't really done anything tangible. Sending tweets and encouraging people to do things aren't good - fine, but 11 years and a lifetime of monitoring? :o

People have received less for actual murder.

I know when I was 17 I was very politically immature (I'm ashamed to admit I was a BNP supporter). And look at me now.

17 year olds don't know their arse from their face. I just can't help but think what the US have gone and done here is ensure he remains radicalised for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    11 years :o:confused: Should have just actually killed people through drunk driving and not mentioned a terrorist link :(
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I'm not entirely convinced this is a great solution. I mean, he hasn't really done anything tangible. Sending tweets and encouraging people to do things aren't good - fine, but 11 years and a lifetime of monitoring? :o

I know when I was 17 I was very politically immature (I'm ashamed to admit I was a BNP supporter). And look at me now.

17 year olds don't know their arse from their face. I just can't help but think what the US have gone and done here is ensure he remains radicalised for the rest of his life.

While I kind of agree in principal, there is a world of difference between a youngster supporting the likes of the BNP and supporting ISIS. The guy was rallying for a dangerous terrorist group who are beheading innocent people.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You didn't read any of the articles did you? He did more than just send tweets and encourage people. This is a text book definition of Aiding and abetting. Due topossible good behavior he could be out in 6 or 7 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    While I kind of agree in principal, there is a world of difference between a youngster supporting the likes of the BNP and supporting ISIS. The guy was rallying for a dangerous terrorist group who are beheading innocent people.

Is there really such a difference though?

People see these things through a fundamentally different lense. When I supported the BNP I didn't know any different.

Now I know it is/was an organisation filled with some thoroughly nasty people who given the opportunity would probably be as brutal as an ISIS terrorist. I wanted to be a rebel against the system and just didn't 'see' the nasty racist, homophobic, anti-semitic stuff even though it was there as clear as day.

The only difference is we live in a society which prevents people like Britain First/EDL/The BNP from taking the law into their own hands. I think many of these far-right fascists would resort to brutal violence if they knew they could get away with it.
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    You didn't read any of the articles did you? He did more than just send tweets and encourage people. This is a text book definition of Aiding and abetting. Due topossible good behavior he could be out in 6 or 7 years.

I didn't read the article no, but I have now and it doesn't say any different to what's said in the OP, so I don't see your point.

Fair enough if that's the way the law works, but I would never have thought professing support, encouraging people to donate or persuading others to go there would be something carrying even a 5 year prison sentence, let alone 11 years.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough if that's the way the law works, but I would never have thought professing support, encouraging people to donate or persuading others to go there would be something carrying even a 5 year prison sentence, let alone 11 years.

Not just encouraging others to go there, he helped them to get there too...
    Amin also helped arrange travel to Syria for a would-be foreign fighter from Prince William County, Va.

I think that's the bit that would be classed as aiding & abetting.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sympathy from me,if it was a couple of posts just saying support ISIS,then it would be harsh but thanks to him it seems they have gained financial support and at least one soldier.
    Though does make me wonder where was the outrage in all the years some Americans were supporting the IRA
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there really such a difference though?

People see these things through a fundamentally different lense. When I supported the BNP I didn't know any different.

Now I know it is/was an organisation filled with some thoroughly nasty people who given the opportunity would probably be as brutal as an ISIS terrorist. I wanted to be a rebel against the system and just didn't 'see' the nasty racist, homophobic, anti-semitic stuff even though it was there as clear as day.

The only difference is we live in a society which prevents people like Britain First/EDL/The BNP from taking the law into their own hands. I think many of these far-right fascists would resort to brutal violence if they knew they could get away with it.

I didn't read the article no, but I have now and it doesn't say any different to what's said in the OP, so I don't see your point.

I think that's stretching it a tad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Not just encouraging others to go there, he helped them to get there too...

I think that's the bit that would be classed as aiding & abetting.

Again, fair enough but it still seems like a lot.

People do seem to get less for far more serious crimes. Even helping somebody travel (what does that mean by the way? Booking airport tickets? Giving advice?) just doesn't seem like something for which somebody should get 11 years, regardless of how vile their views are.

I don't know, it just seems odd to me.
  • Options
    viajero_americaviajero_america Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    How absolute stupid laws
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jail sentences for murder in the US are far longer than in the UK and of course the death penalty still exists in some areas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    He actually aided and abetted terrorism, he didn't just tweet "lol. Death to America #isis" now and again.

Reporting like this is ridiculous, especially when people pick up on the wrong parts.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    well done to the U.S for acting so harshly , we are way to soft in this country over crime and it's nice to see real jail terms across the world . This should also send a stronge message to other people who support these people via a computer that you will be punished .
  • Options
    grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only 11 years should be a mandortary death sentance for anybody who supports by word or deed any terrorist organisation.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Not 11 years for using Twitter?