Options

Do you go to the cinema alone?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I went to the cinema alone today :) had a day off work with nothing to do, so took myself to see Quarantine, and really enjoyed it!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to go alone quite a lot when i had one of those cards you pay a monthly direct debit on, i remember one instance where i had seen pretty much everything in that cinema and there was only one film left that i hadn't seen, which was a god awful piece of cinematic trash called Duets starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Paul Giamatti and i was the only person in that cinema watching it.

So in terms of going to see a film alone, that really was watching a film alone.....in a cinema full of empty seats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    There has only ever been one occasion that i've gone to the cinema by myself and that was to see Saw II a few years back. Nobody i knew wanted to risk making the effort to get to the cinema only to get turned away due to lack of ID (we were all about 16 when it came out). So i just went by myself.

Personally i don't think there is anything "sad" about going to the cinema by yourself, if you really want to see something and none of your friends/family want to see it then it's the only option other than waiting 4-6 months for the DVD. I guess i'm lucky in the way that i'm on a Film Studies course at Uni and so any excuse to go to the cinema is greeted with approval by my group of friends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have to say i used to be very much like the OP and i didn't want to go alone - mainly due to what other people would think of me but then i just went "screw it" and went and have to say i rather enjoy going on my own. Because my nearest cinema is so small some of the films i went to - i'd be in there myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I go to the cinema with my Mrs, but when we get there we watch different films. The only trouble we sometimes have is her films last about 90 minutes mine can go on for hours. It is very rarely we go see the same film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes go if no-one wants to see the same film as me or they've seen it already and I'm just impatient to go see it.
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go alone and if anyone has a problem with it, that just shows how immature and silly they are.

Life is waaaaaaay to short to waste time waiting for other people. It's really time we all stopped worrying so much about what everyone else thinks. I've always found it so weird that going to the cinema/theatre alone is seen as "strange"...why? Why are people so damn terrified of doing anything for themselves? I'm so sick of us all being such bloody sheeps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I have only ever been on my own twice. Once when I went to see Back To The Future III. I out of luck bumped in to some kids I played football against and they recognised me.

The second time was when I was killing some time in LA waiting for my buddy to finish work. I ended up seein a matinee of Sin City. I saw it in crisp digital presentation in this HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE theatre with just me there...it was the best cinema experience ever!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem going on my own: I've been many times (the last this week to see W). Normally, it's in the afternoon if I'm on my own anyway rather than on a Saturday night but you'll see plenty of single people in the cinema at such times.

I'm even more perverse though: I go to restaurants on my own.

Yes, I sit in restaurants, sometimes spending a few hours having a three course meal with pre-dinner drink and coffee, on my own.

I got over such stigma many years ago when I had a job that involved travel and I ended up in strange towns in strange countries on my own and I got sick of room service.

There's nothing like your own company for a rip-snorting evening out.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do it all the time, I'd never have seen half the films I'd have wanted to if I didn't.

Watching a film isn't a team event, it's something you can do on your own.

My sentiments exactly! :) I wholeheartedly agree and this is the main reason why i on occasion go to the cinema alone.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I ever feel compelled enough to want to see a particular film at the cinema - and that's very few and far between, often years - I wouldn't see it any way except on my own, and as near the end of its run as possible, during the day in the hope that it will be empty or as near as.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to the cinema on my own loads in the past, just as I have been to the cinema plenty of times with friends!

I don't see much difference between the two if your primary motivation is to watch the movie. The only thing I 'miss' by going it alone is the post-film discussion, but even this I can catch at a later date when everyone else has finally seen the movie (usually on the telly).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    i used to go to the cinema many times a month alone from age of 13, i remember seeing demolition man twice and a perfect world twice, jurassic park, forrest gump. i used to sit and concentrate fully on the film it was great.
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like I say, I'm so used to going on my own that it feels weirder when I go with a mate !....
  • Options
    relapsedrelapsed Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All us lonely folks come on, lets meet up and go to the cinema!!!
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first went to the cinema by myself to see LOTR Return of the King. I'd already seen it twice with my then partner who quite naturally refused to see it again. No one else wanted to see it.

Next one was Brokeback Mountain - I was the only one I knew who wanted to see it so I went alone again.

Now I never miss a film I want to see. I feel most comfortable going tea-time/early evening. It's true, you can lose yourself in the film and really concentrate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I watched Rambo on my own while my car was in for an mot.
    5 mins from the garage .
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went alone 2 days ago. I had a free afternoon and decided to go as there was a film I wanted to see. I asked the booking clerk if there were many already in there and she said there were just 4! A cople and 2 other people sitting alone. We were all spread out in the cinema.

So no noisy kids, people eating food etc.

If you are going to go alone then maybe try the first time when its likely to be quiet in the afternoon if its possible to have time off from work etc. I'd definately go alone again.

I agree with the poster who says they go to restaurants alone. I travel a lot and as long as I have a book to read whilst waiting for food (rather than stare at the walls and other diners) then I dont find it awkward eating alone either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cuppa_Tea wrote: »
    I might start going on Sunday afternoons when I always find myself bored!

Have you been yet? As you started the thread I'm sure people would be interested to know if you have made it on your own:)
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes in the past I have been soooo tempted to go on my own if I am out doing some shopping or that. There is a cinema in the shopping centre that I sometimes use in Wandsworth, one day I will pick up the courage!!!

I actually like doing certain things on my own, shopping being one of them. I also prefer watching DVDs on my own as well. Meh, guess sometimes I like a bit of solidarity!
  • Options
    Lukey37Lukey37 Posts: 5,369
    Forum Member
    I've started going to the cinema during day when I'm not at work. I was a bit nervous at a first but now I find it a really enjoyable experience being in an almost empty cinema.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time i went on my own was to meet somebody who didn't turn up,i just watched the film on my own..had a great time.
  • Options
    deadbeat herodeadbeat hero Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to the Cinema is the perfect thing to do alone - it's hardly a social activity is it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Sometimes in the past I have been soooo tempted to go on my own if I am out doing some shopping or that. There is a cinema in the shopping centre that I sometimes use in Wandsworth, one day I will pick up the courage!!!

I actually like doing certain things on my own, shopping being one of them. I also prefer watching DVDs on my own as well. Meh, guess sometimes I like a bit of solidarity!

Please give it a try, you dont need courage, you're not going for an exam or interview, no need to be nervous. Once you do it you will wonder why you haven't in the past. Go to an early showing when its more likely to be quiet if you dont want lots of people around. Good luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I got to the cineworld in Wandsworth on my own all the time. I got an unlimited card a few years ago when i used to go with a friend but she stopped going, so rather than cancel the membership I had to pluck up the courage to go on my own. Once you've done it the first time, its easy after that. I usually go in the afternoon/early evening, its quiet then. At first I used to sneak in once the trailers were showing because it was dark by then and no one would notice me (or so I hoped) but then i realised how many other people where there alone I stopped caring. I've still not plucked up the courage to go in an evening yet though!!