Morrissons want to discipline for wearing a poppy

12345679»

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I wonder how this would have played out if it had been a Muslim refusing to remove similar items that supported a Mulim/Islamic charity.

Still nice of Morrisons to say they will now allow ALL members of staff that do not work with food, to wear charity supporting items. That's all going to end well isn't it.:)

By that rule I guess someone could wear a Red Nose all year round or have Pudsey Bear strapped to them (or any of the Pudsey Bear items they have to wear) all year round
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for Help For Heroes. It's a good cause, but they've got some right spanners backing them these last few days. Must be a real PR headache.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? What/ What?. Not reported by the `Daily Mail or BBC`or typed on `Morrison's` headed paper
    Smells as fishy as the fish counter to me
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's so behind this charity, this is his spelling of it......"help for heros" :rolleyes:
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    Shame on Morrisons for changing their mind, didn't have much choice though with people jumping on the bandwagon.

Not a shame at all. Very sensible in fact.

There is no reason not to allow this. They wouldn't have suspended Christian for wearing a cross or a Muslim for wearing a head scarf so why this?

Anyway, my Mrs works in Morrison's here and they have always allowed it. Apparently the managers of her store don't get why that store didn't allow it.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    What? What/ What?. Not reported by the `Daily Mail or BBC`or typed on `Morrison's` headed paper
    Smells as fishy as the fish counter to me

My Mrs has a disciplinary meeting for being absent (bladder infection) for a day next week. It's stupidly scheduled for when we are abroad, but its not printed on headed paper. Nor are most of the letters they get from instore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    My Mrs has a disciplinary meeting for being absent (bladder infection) for a day next week. It's stupidly scheduled for when we are abroad, but its not printed on headed paper. Nor are most of the letters they get from instore.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22718935

Looks like Morrissons have backed down
  • warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This whole sorry state of affairs simply shows how lack of respect for authority has seeped into all levels of society, first we have a blatent breaking of rules by wearing something that should not have been warn, then a squinnying and tantrum throwing session over the press and social media claiming that its really Morrisons not wanting to support our troops and being patriotic, when all that happened was this "person" broke dress rules, then refused to obey his superior.

Morrisons should not have apologised and sacked the fool.

This is a supermarket we are talking about, I think you should calm down with all this talk of rules,superiors and authority, do they deserve that much respect?
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    He's so behind this charity, this is his spelling of it......"help for heros" :rolleyes:

I wonder why they didn't suspend him for wearing a poppy when 3 soldiers were recently blown up by an IED, I assume he wore one then and for all the other occasions when British soldiers were killed.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22718935

Looks like Morrissons have backed down

Boo to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From someone on Facebook

"the lad in question has just walked out of morrisons after being set up by staff, after recieving a full appology. he is now going for constructive dismissal"

If he really existed in the first place!!
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    From someone on Facebook

"the lad in question has just walked out of morrisons after being set up by staff, after recieving a full appology. he is now going for constructive dismissal"

Something tells me that was what he was aiming for in the first place with all this stuff about the poppy just being a nice little front.
  • warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From someone on Facebook

I'd say he has case there, he constructed his dismissal almost as well as the Egyptians constructed their pyramids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I think he can wear what he wants to show respect. If he wants wear a poppy let him. I feel sorry for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the people who set him up thought it would explode like it has?

Looks like there may be more disciplinary hearings at this rate.

Well done to those idiots at that store. This sort of thing has probably made it bad for the staff at Asda, Sainsburys and Tesco now.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah them nasty pieces of work FORCED him to refuse to remove a badge and put a wristband back on, then post a disciplinary letter on Facebook. He's a dick of the highest order, I wouldn't employ him.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yeah them nasty pieces of work FORCED him to refuse to remove a badge and put a wristband back on, then post a disciplinary letter on Facebook. He's a dick of the highest order, I wouldn't employ him.

I wonder if the Jobcentre will class him as intentionally unemployed...they absolutely should.

I reallt do think he was hoping for dismissal at his disciplinary to play the constructive dismissal card, but when Morrisons backed down he's had to change his tack. Or maybe he's hoping it'll be a bigger story that will get him some press money this time round (didn't seem to be that big a story to the press, really).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From someone else on Facebook.

I worked for Morrisons and it says in the uniform part of the contract that you can't wear badges and things, The fact it was a poppy is irrelevant.

They could sack him for posting about it on Facebook as well. He broke the terms of the contract he made with the company.

Simple but now thanks to pressure from social media and being told its racist because in this instance it was a poppy they have had to bow down. Absolutely ludicrous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the Jobcentre will class him as intentionally unemployed...they absolutely should.

I reallt do think he was hoping for dismissal at his disciplinary to play the constructive dismissal card, but when Morrisons backed down he's had to change his tack. Or maybe he's hoping it'll be a bigger story that will get him some press money this time round (didn't seem to be that big a story to the press, really).

And its a bit convenient that its only blown up more because of what unfortunately happened in Woolwich. Its a bit ott trying to use a HFH bracelet to cover whatever other trouble he may have been in.
    Forum Member
    And its a bit convenient that its only blown up more because of what unfortunately happened in Woolwich. Its a bit ott trying to use a HFH bracelet to cover whatever other trouble he may have been in.

It wouldn't be of any surprise at all to find out he had a poor disciplinary record and was on the verge of the sack anyway, which could have prompted this act.

Morrison's are better off without someone so obviously disruptive, and I hope whoever he tries to get a job with next remembers this.