Options

2014 TV so far: Your Highlights and Letdowns

LMLM Posts: 63,503
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought a thread about television of this year so far would be nice, just as we about to start a new season of television in the US soon.

What have been your highlights and letdowns of 2014 so far?

My Highlights
Game of thrones Season 4
Bojack Horseman
The Leftovers
Orange is the new black Season 2
The second half of Once upon a time's Season 3
True Blood Season 7
Hot in cleveland season 5
Warehouse 13 Season 5
Shameless Season 4

My Letdowns
Outlander
Penny Dreadful
Orphan Black Season 2
Almost Human
Believe
Resurrection
Bates Motel Season 2
Salem
Hemlock Grove Season 2
Pretty little liars Season 5 part 1
The Vampire Diaries Season 5
Cougar Town Season 5
Archer Season 5

Comments

• Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope True Blood season 7 was only a highlight for you because it finally ended after years of being absolute horseshit because season 7 was abysmal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I hope True Blood season 7 was only a highlight for you because it finally ended after years of being absolute horseshit because season 7 was abysmal.

All down to opinion but the only shitty season true blood ever did was season 5 i felt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 5, 6 and 7 were all awful though. They scraped the barrel for everything about those seasons and if I hadn't wanted to see where it all went I would have stopped watching. It's the same with Dexter and HIMYM, I would have stopped years ago if I wasn't so invested in the end.

My highlights were Arrow and Person Of Interest upping the games and getting more awesome. Everything in the first paragraph are my letdowns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 5, 6 and 7 were all awful though. They scraped the barrel for everything about those seasons and if I hadn't wanted to see where it all went I would have stopped watching. It's the same with Dexter and HIMYM, I would have stopped years ago if I wasn't so invested in the end.

My highlights were Arrow and Person Of Interest upping the games and getting more awesome. Everything in the first paragraph are my letdowns.

Season 6 was one of my favs.
    Never liked the sookie/warlow arc though. They spent too much of the season naked under a tree in Sookie's fairy land world for it to be developed properly.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Hits

True Detective
    Fargo
    The Strain (it's cheesy but I'm still watching)
    Game Of Thrones
    The Walking Dead (genuinely can't even remember when that aired now)
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hits.
    Fargo
    True Detective
    Penny Dreadful (Eva Greens acting saved the show IMO)
    Bates Motel Season 2 (Vera Farmiga is wonderful)
    The Strain
    Orange is the New Black (both seasons are superb)
    The Knick (period detail is superb as is Clive Owen))

Misses.
    Eastbound & Down final season.(just continuous swearing by Danny McBride. tiresome)
    From Dusk Till Dawn season 1 (a missed opportunity)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hits
    Game of Thrones 4
    Hannibal 2
    Ray Donovan 2

Misses
    Penny Dreadful

I wouldn't class True Blood 7 as either a hit or miss. Seasons 5 & 6 were brilliant imo. Season 7 was a decent, character focused, bookend to the series. Not bad at all, but not the best the show had to offer.
  • Options
    qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Highlights

Veep S3- Phenomenal, The length this show has come from the (still very good) season 1 is impressive.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver- I only started watching this in July and I heard it didn't start brilliantly but now it is consistently laugh out loud funny and thought provoking.

The Good Wife Season 5: The best network drama by some distance. Impressive that it remains consistently good over 22 episodes.

Parks & Recreation Season 3 (UK Pace): It's delightful.

Legit: Underrated and saddens me that it's been cancelled.

The Mindy Project S2 (UK Pace): More consistent than last year and a very strong will they-won't they

Broad City (S1): Very funny, very talented creators. Far prefer this to Girls.

Elementary: An excellent procedural. Unfairly tainted by comparisons to Sherlock.

Rectify: Absorbing and wonderfully acted.

Hells Kitchen USA: Great season and a veteran which still performs well.

Let Downs

Almost Human: Couldn't hack the dialogue after 4 episodes.

Fargo: Couldn't get into it despite the acclaim.

Other shows I gave up on include Glee, Once Upon A Time & Girls

Middling

Modern Family: Some great episodes and some mediocre ones. Not as good as previous seasons.

Brooklyn Nine Nine: Fun but I don't love it quite as much as everyone else seems to.

Review: Amusing, well cast and innovative structure.

Hannibal (S2): Step up on season 1 but I remain firmly in the admire more than enjoy camp.

Looking: More drama than comedy but sufficently compelling.

Silicon Valley: Nice to watch, I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't see it again.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Hits:

True Detective (Simply incredible TV)

Game Of Thrones (Same as above)

Fargo (Probably the biggest surprise of the year. I loved the movie and didn't think this would match it - it came VERY close)

Braquo (Very underrated French cop drama. Season 3 was very good)

The Bridge (The best foreign drama i've watched. Saga Noren is one of TV's best characters right now)

Hannibal (Season 1 was very good. Season 2 was AWESOME)

The Honourable Woman (Great drama with some great performances)

The Blacklist (Great series)

Sherlock (So glad I started watching this. Simply superb)

Misses:

Fleming (I enjoyed the series but felt a bit disappointed with it given its hype)

The Following (Whilst I thought Season 2 was fine, the finale was the worst finale I've watched all year. Not sure if i'll watch Season 3)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Hits:
    Community (great to see it back on form after a middling fourth season)
    Fargo
    Hannibal
    Rick and Morty* (it has problems, notably an over reliance on rape humour and there's a few moments that just seem mean, but when it's good, it's really funny)
    Silicon Valley

Misses
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.* (Apparently it gets better towards the end, but I quit on episode 12 and haven't yet mustered the enthusiasm to go back)

*started in 2013, continued in 2014...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misses
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.* (Apparently it gets better towards the end, but I quit on episode 12 and haven't yet mustered the enthusiasm to go back)

*started in 2013, continued in 2014...

If you have the time you should watch up to episode 18 at the least because episode 17 is where everything gets so much better.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, as I am a Castle nut I will say the season finale was a disaster, it didn't just miss the target it wasn't even in the same postcode.

Yes mushy gushy fairy tale type thingy wanted a happy clappy wedding. I could have taken with the gigantic pinch of salt the premise of Beckett being married and chasing round after her husband to save the day. AND the other disasters, heck losing the wedding dress was always going to be a blessing. But then to have the whole burning car thing urgh totally blew it.

Though did make damn sure i.ll be watching season 7.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I'm going to stick to new series that debuted in 2014:

Hits:

True Detective
    Black Sails
    Turn
    Fargo
    Penny Dreadful
    Halt And Catch Fire
    Tyrant
    Manhattan
    The Knick
    Outlander

Misses:

Helix
    Power
    Legends
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have the time you should watch up to episode 18 at the least because episode 17 is where everything gets so much better.

I thought the second half of the season was very weak compared to the first. It was too serialized for my liking. I missed the slow pace and the standalone episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot Black Sails and Helix
    Add them to Letdowns
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Hit
    Arrow - superb. Can only remember one dodgy episode from season 2. Deathstroke was awesome :cool:
    Shameless season 4 - fantastic. Mickey became my favourite character, but I'm expecting Ian to drag him down next year.
    Bates Motel/Rectify seasons 2 - neither as good as the first, but still gripping TV.
    Fargo season 1 - very good.
    Game of Thrones season 4 - big step up from season 3.

Miss
    Penny Dreadful - cack. Not even Eva Green could save it for me.
    Supernatural season 9 - worse by the episode. Abysmal.
    Sherlock season 3 - fanwank nonsense.
    The Following - the cast deserve better than a pointless stab-fest with no coherent plot.
    Banshee season 2 - so very bland.

Meh.
    True Detective season 1 - started good, poor final few episodes.
    Agents of SHIELD - poor first half, very good second half. Still needs to step it up a lot.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to mention Agents of SHIELD. I had no expectations going into it so it didn't disappoint me, but it didn't blow me away either so I'd put it in between Hit & Miss. The first half was weaker but personally I felt it was nowhere near as bad as it was made it out to be by some. When it got stronger it was decent, but by the same token I never felt it was as amazing as some were saying it was.
  • Options
    xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hits

Person of Interest S03
    Fargo
    Happy Valley
    The Honourable Woman
    Halt and Catch Fire
    True Detective
    The Blacklist
    Gang Related [Still got cancelled. Great shame imo]

Misses

Extant
    Fleming
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hits

Banshee
    Gang Related
    Graceland
    The Tomorrow People
    Under the Dome
    Hannibal
    Young & Hungry

Misses

Teen Wolf
    Supernatural (Expectations were low, anyway)
    Pretty Little Liars
    Penny Dreadful
    The Originals
    Haven
    The Strain
  • Options
    lazy marelazy mare Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Outlander is being filmed in our village this week.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the TV highlights have been the second series of Rectify, always fantastic in my opinion, True Blood, The Walking Dead as always and finding a new show to watch - The Divide.

Looking forward to the next, and last, series of The Newsroom, which sadly isn't to be renewed beyond that. I'm sure that, too, will be a highlight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would like to add

Highlight: Looking
    Letdown: The Strain
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Forgot to add Suits season 3 to the 'Miss' list. Unbearably dreary and miserable.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Forgot to add Suits season 3 to the 'Miss' list. Unbearably dreary and miserable.

Ooh me too, got annoying
  • Options
    MacBurpMacBurp Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Hit -

Fargo
    True Detective
    The Leftovers

Miss -
    Under the Dome
    Extant