glaze for the xmas gammon

missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any ideas - i was going to do one with marmelade, but any ideas would be great as i'm not 100% sold on the marmelade idea!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Dijon mustard and demerara sugar is lovely! I cook the gammon in cider first, then use a little of the liquid in the glaze mix. It is yummy!!
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyle wrote: »
    Dijon mustard and demerara sugar is lovely! I cook the gammon in cider first, then use a little of the liquid in the glaze mix. It is yummy!!

That's mine but I add a bit of runny honey to the mustard and some cloves in with the cider.

Tis lovely.

I've just picked my gammon up and was thinking on the drive home that I might give the Nigella gammon in cola a go. :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine from Sweden recommended mustard,crushed ginger biscuits and 20 cloves.
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh that sounds good :) i might give that a go

• whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I don't like Jamie Oliver, he did a nice looking jerk glaze on his Christmas show on last night.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyle wrote: »

Must try this one.

Sure I've seen it somewhere before :D:D:D:D;)
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Must try this one.

Sure I've seen it somewhere before :D:D:D:D;)

Hmmm, now I wonder where that was? :D:D:)
  • tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mustard/demerara sugar recipe is one of Delias. I use it every year but I do leave out the cloves. Don't really like them and it is more difficult to spread the mustard over with them pressed into the fat after taking the rind off.
    I saw a suggestions this year that I will use which is to pop the gammon back in the oven for 10 minutes after taking off the rind. Then after putting some of the mustard and demerara on, pop it in for another 10-15 mins. Finally put the rest of the topping on and pop it in again for 30 minutes.
    Forum Member
    tvfanny wrote: »
    The mustard/demerara sugar recipe is one of Delias. I use it every year but I do leave out the cloves. Don't really like them and it is more difficult to spread the mustard over with them pressed into the fat after taking the rind off.
    I saw a suggestions this year that I will use which is to pop the gammon back in the oven for 10 minutes after taking off the rind. Then after putting some of the mustard and demerara on, pop it in for another 10-15 mins. Finally put the rest of the topping on and pop it in again for 30 minutes.

I didn't know it was a Delia. I found it in one of my mum's Readers Digest recipe books. The first thing that attracted me was the cider...but I love it, my favourite way to cook gammon.

Edit: Does the Delia one use cider? mine doesn't have cloves in it.
  • tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyle - no Delias recipe (page 126 of her 'Christmas' book) doesn't use cider. Worth a try though.
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyle - no Delias recipe (page 126 of her 'Christmas' book) doesn't use cider. Worth a try though.

hmmmmm - gives me an excuse to drink the cider i bought then!
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Delia is evil....
    missloo wrote: »
    hmmmmm - gives me an excuse to drink the cider i bought then!

Great minds think alike (the cider was the selling point for the glaze).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine from Sweden recommended mustard,crushed ginger biscuits and 20 cloves.

I wish I'd seen this post before I bought my M&S glaze (:o). Some of my favorite flavours all in one recipe! Mmmm:D
  • hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    my ham is bubbling in cherry coke courtesy of Nigella. I will glaze and bake it tomorrow for Christmas eve buffet. Black treacle and mustard powder. I love sticking the cloves in as well.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done Gordon's Honey glazed ham a few times and it is lovely:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/168623/gordons-honey-glazed-ham

He is doing a ham on his program tonight so it might be this one unless he has changed it.