Options

So This Is Saturday Night TV.

Comments

• Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Saturday night TV on terrestrial has been rubbish for decades. Best option is to catch up on on streaming services or watch sports.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    "OOh I like your teeth.. can I touch em". Sums up Saturday night TV :confused:

Reminds me of an e-mailed joke involving a female Native American guide named, Ucan Tuchum. It's on Google.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    The show is in it's 11th year, pulls in around 7 million viewers and wins awards pretty much every year too. So a lot of people seem to like it.. even if you don't.

This is actually only it's 9th year as there was no series from 2010 - 2012.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »
    ITV haven't changed their basic format since the 70's. They assume families still all sit round the tv and watch their shows because there is no other form of entertainment.
    Neither have the BBC for that matter. That time on a Saturday has always been a 'family entertainment' slot.
    JordyD wrote: »
    Tonight's SNT just proves why ITV is the master of big production TV. The BBC may beat ITV in ratings overall, but the BBC would never be able to put on a show like Takeaway tonight.
    They don't need to. They already did it (and better!) back in the 90swith Noel's House Party. (Until Blobby turned up, that is :p)
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    *coughs*NoelsHouseParty*coughs*
    Great minds think alike ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Tonight was the first time in a while that I had ITV on consistently from The Cube up until the news. They're doing something right.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Box set of Lost sorted the crap saturday night viewing for me..xmas pressie and a great one..!
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Here's an idea. Find some shows you do like (maybe on at unsuitable times for yourself in the week) or shows you might like and record them and watch them on Saturday night. That's what me and the hubby do. ;-)

That's a shocking idea, how could you suggest such a thing, when the OP could have a moan instead.
    As there's no analogue anymore, I'd guess the OP has a freeview box, fair number of channels to select from.
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Saturday night TV on terrestrial has been rubbish for decades. Best option is to catch up on on streaming services or watch sports.

I haven't watched the main channels for 20+ years on a Saturday night.
    I wouldn't say it's rubbish, it's just not for me anymore.
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Box set of Lost sorted the crap saturday night viewing for me..xmas pressie and a great one..!

Bleedin Lost, what an utter swizz that was.
    Couldn't watch in now, knowing all those 'promising' storylines are going nowhere.
    I'm still peed off with it, but thankful that I didn't get right into it like some, reading and writing reams of stuff online, trying to make out the messages and hidden meanings from the whispering voices in the wind, etc.
    The punters came up with better plots than the writers.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Lost, lol Prince, I am on series 3 now, ahem, season 3,spot the botox and nose job series, should be a drinking game! It is turning out like young and restless on an island, but I am hopefull with the dharma initiative stuff...meh, hopefully more sci fi than mythology...

Better than minogue on the voice so...Think i might rewatch the prisoner next, patrick mcgoohan one!
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd post from the OP who has written off the whole of Saturday night based on the output of one programme on one channel.

With dozens of channels available, on demand services and PVR's Saturday night TV is what you make it.

Even in the era of multi channel it's still possible to find certain days completely full of tat tv, I have had a few Saturdays off and the tv has been off as I preferred to listen to music or read, it's true to say that tv is dire but only if stating it from a personal point of view.
  • Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    This is actually only it's 9th year as there was no series from 2010 - 2012.
    Not quite. You should brush up on your maths / SNT series before posting such incorrect comments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is in it's 11th year, pulls in around 7 million viewers and wins awards pretty much every year too. So a lot of people seem to like it.. even if you don't.

7m people is just over 10% of the population.

If you imagine a bell curve of intelligence in the population, this could easily be represented before even reaching -2 standard deviations.

In other word - the mindless and drunks of Saturday night viewing a show does not mean it is good. It just means there are enough mindless and drunks around to watch it.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    Always have switched off from Friday night through to Sunday evening. Thought I'd give tonight a try out.
    Had Chinese dinner delivered. Another first.

So is this it? Those two little men children who's punchlines I mouth along with them as they are so predictable, (from IACGMOOH)? Plus the best voice owned by the goofiest, least cool guy in all the World?

Aargh! Now the pair have been borrowed from This Morning..

That's it done. I'll switch off until at least tomorrow night and every week in future.

I gave it a go.

Oh well, never mind. Was the Chinese takeaway ok ?

Weekend tv has been rubbish for a long time, as other posters have said. The excuse used to be that all the important viewers (18-35 year olds) would be doing something else. The middle classes would be busy preparing dinner parties or eating out at the latest in vogue restaurant. The lower classes would be out binge drinking, fighting and throwing up in the gutter. Now times are hard, Granny is no longer available as a free babysitter, she's probably got more disposable income than you and is out enjoying herself. More people are stuck at home looking for something decent to watch and they just haven't woken up to that fact yet.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Voice was very very popular last night, and on BBC1 there were good ratings all night from pointless to the lottery to casualty. Ant and Decs House party, sorry, Noel's takeaway, sorry Ant and Decs Saturday Takeaway, was beaten by The Voice.

When people say Saturday TV is not what it used to be, it's unclear what they want, it seems a moan, but no answers of what they want is posted.

The main issue isn't TV but lack of good talent, the funny entertainers of yesteryear are no longer around and haven't been replaced with any quality entertainers of today. You can't make a good entertainment show, without someone good to present it.

Look at these, and you will see it's better now.

The latest developments concerning the war in the Gulf.
    Open University
    Babar
    Gulf News
    Eggs 'n' Baker
    Cartoons
    Gulf News
    Going Live!
    Phillip and Sarah officially unveil the new BBC One globe.
    Weather
    Grandstand
    News and Weather
    Sport/Regional News
    Say Tooned!
    Jim'll Fix It
    'Allo 'Allo!
    The Paul Daniels Magic Show
    Bergerac
    Don't Wait Up
    News; Sport; Weather
    Midnight Caller
    The Full Wax
    Starring Ruby Wax.
    Match of the Day
    Highlights of today's FA Cup matches.
    Gulf News
    Film: Cat Low
    0155-0200
    Weather and Close

BBC One27 January 1990
    Commonwealth Games
    Overnight coverage from day three of the 1990 Commonwealth Games.
    Going Live!
    With Phillip Schofield and Sarah Greene.
    Weather
    Grandstand
    Including highlights from the Commonwealth Games.
    News and Weather
    Regional News and Sport
    The Flying Doctors
    Jim'll Fix It
    Bob's Full House
    Starring Bob Monkhouse.
    The Paul Daniels Magic Show
    Waterfront Beat
    News; Sport; Weather
    Midnight Caller
    Dave Allen
    Match of the Day
    FA Cup 4th round highlights with Desmond Lynam.
    2340-0630
    Commonwealth Games
    The live coverage includes five swimming finals beginning at 0330 and athletics which includes the 400m finals at 0445 and the 100m finals at 0550.

BBC One07 July 1984
    Open University
    [UHF Transmitters Only].
    Interval
    The Saturday Picture Show
    With Mark Curry.
    Film: Powdersmoke Range
    Western.
    Film: The New Adventures of Tarzan
    Bruce Bennett stars in the title role.
    Weather
    With Ian McCaskill.
    Grandstand
    Desmond Lynam introduces live coverage of the ladies' singles final from Wimbledon.
    News and Weather
    With Jan Leeming.
    Sport/Regional News
    Film: Mackenna's Gold
    Starring Gregory Peck, Telly Savalas and Omar Sharif.
    The Val Doonican Music Show
    Last in the present series.
    Dynasty
    News, Sport, Weather
    Wimbledon 84
    Highlights of today's finals and a look ahead to tomorrow's men's singles final.
    Bird of Prey
    Third part of a four-part thriller for the electronic age.
    Film: Yesterday's Hero
    Starring Ian McShane and Adam Faith.
    0130-0135
    Weather and Close

ITV 109 February 2002
    GMTV
    SM:TV Live
    CD:UK
    ITV News
    Followed by Regional News.
    On the Ball
    Football preview with Gabby Logan.
    The New Addams Family
    Film: The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming
    Comedy.
    The Goal Rush
    With Angus Scott, continued from the ITV Sport Channel.
    Regional News
    ITV News and Sport
    The Brits Are Coming
    S Club 7 host the second of three shows previewing this year's Brit Awards.
    You've Been Framed
    With Lisa Riley.
    Home Alone
    A one-off programme in which children have the chance to change their family home to suit themselves.
    Pop Idol Live Final
    Will Young and Gareth Gates sing to become the Pop Idol of 2002. Hosted by Ant and Dec.
    Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
    ITV Weekend News
    With Katie Derham.
    Pop Idol Live Final
    Voting update.
    Another Audience with Ken Dodd
    Pop Idol Live Final Result
    Ant and Dec reveal the winner.
    The Premiership
    With Des Lynam.
    Club Reps
    Series following Club 18-30 reps in Rhodes.
    Film: Sea of Love
    Erotic thriller.
    Veronica's Closet
    Popped In, Crashed Out
    Music quiz.
    Box Office America
    ITV at the Festivals
    Coverage of V2001 from Chelmsford.
    World Sport
    ITV Nightscreen
    0530-0600
    ITV Morning News

ITV 1 - Anglia17 February 1996
    GMTV
    Teleganticmegavision
    It's Not Just Saturday
    The Chart Show
    Movies, Games and Videos
    ITN News/Weather
    Anglia News
    The Big Byte
    Warner Cartoons
    Time Trax
    Film: Splash
    ITN News/Sports Results/Sport
    Anglia News
    New Baywatch
    Barrymore
    Blind Date
    Beadle's Hot Shots
    ITN News/National Lottery Update/Weather
    Prime Suspect 3
    Film: Bonnie and Clyde - The True Story
    Starring Tracey Needham.
    Pyjama Party
    Funny Business
    Film: The Green Berets
    Wanted Dead or Alive
    ITN Morning News

ITV 1 - Central01 February 1992
    Morning News
    TV-am
    Motormouth
    The ITV Chart Show
    The Munsters Today
    News and Weather
    Central News
    Saint and Greavsie
    Great Planes
    Film: The Disorderly Orderly
    [1964]. Starring Jerry Lewis.
    Cartoon Time
    Results Service
    News and Weather
    Central News
    Central Sports Special - Goals Extra
    Baywatch
    Best of Blind Date
    Barrymore
    The Worst of It'll Be Alright on the Night
    Boxing
    WBO Super Middleweight Championship. Chris Eubank v Tholane Malinga.
    News and Weather
    Aspel and Company
    Film: The Stone Killer
    [1973]. Starring Charles Bronson.
    Loose Cannon
    CinemAttractions
    America's Top Ten
    Alfred Hitchcock Presents
    WCW Pro Wrestling
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's other things to put in the mix. Just because the TV is "on" doesn't mean anyone is watching it. Previous TVs of ours when you turned them on found BBC1, but both our present TVs like most now, will come on tuned to the last station selected before it was turned off.

Quite often I might be watching something, then when it's finished or if I'm sick of it, I'll mute the sound but leave the TV on and go and do something else.
    I think a lot of people "multi-task" when the TV is on as they can engage in other activities, like reading the paper and still be able to follow a programme on the TV, because they can hear the dialogue. That's why I won't watch "average" Continental dramas that are subtitled.
    I remember my dad once, watching the boxing on TV, over a book, with his headphones on listening to a Gilbert and Sullivan LP.

My wife thinks I'm a bit like him, in that I can watch football on TV, if it's not a brilliant game, with the sound muted, whilst I'm playing my tenor sax.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS report:

Quote:
    Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway returned to ITV to 6.05 million viewers last night (February 22), according to overnight data.

25.9% of the audience share tuned in to the first instalment of the entertainment show's 11th series when it aired at 7pm.

In the same timeslot on BBC One, The Voice UK continued to top Saturday night ratings, with 7.25m (31.2%) watching as Kylie Minogue, Tom Jones, will.i.am and Ricky Wilson completed their teams in the final round of blind auditions.

National Lottery: Who Dares Wins quizzed 5.37m (25.5%) at 8.30pm, while Casualty's latest episode attracted 4.83m (23.4%) at 9.20pm.

On BBC Two, 1.51m watched the highlights of Sochi 2014's penultimate day on Winter Olympics: Today at the Games at 7.10pm.

Top Gear followed at 8pm with 1.15m (5.15%), while The Culture Show pulled in 1.01m (4.85%) at 9pm.

Back on ITV, Take Me Out's current series came to an end with 3.67m (17.44%) hoping to find out which couples would be whisked off to the Isle of Fernando's.

2.83m (15.03%) watched interviews with McBusted, Jack Whitehall and Bradley Walsh on The Jonathan Ross Show at 9.50pm.

On Channel 4, Tony Robinson's Walking Through History once again pulled in the channel's biggest primetime ratings with 1.22m (5.47%). Thriller Hostages continued with 540k (2.61%) at 9pm.

The most successful programme of the night for Channel 5 was the last in a triple-bill of NCIS. The final episode of the evening pulled in 761k (3.65%) at 8.30pm.

BBC Three's showing of Ben Stiller's comedy sequel Little Fockers topped the multichannel ratings with 1m (4.9%) at 9pm.

Over on BBC Four, Salamander continued with 763k (3.64%) at 9pm, while the next episode attracted 670k (3.47%) at 9.50pm.
    Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...#ixzz2u9GKg1GK
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »

If you imagine a bell curve of intelligence in the population, this could easily be represented before even reaching -2 standard deviations.

In other word - the mindless and drunks of Saturday night viewing a show does not mean it is good. It just means there are enough mindless and drunks around to watch it.

Well the 'mindless and drunks' pay their license fee, buy things from shops in great numbers, 7 million apparently.
    You're nobody on this scale, so go and find something for the 'intelligent and sober' to watch on a different channel.

Another kvetching thread, like there aren't enough of those about...
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always watch Channel 5 on a Saturday and imagine you're in America in the seventies and eighties as all they seem to have on are ancient Columbo and Diagnosis Murder repeats, which weren't very good first time round.
    However, of the main channels, ITV Saturdays are just low rent, low brow junk and the BBC has the equally boring alternative of The Voice, game shows and Casualty.
    I can remember going back to 1979 and having Doctor Who, The Two Ronnies, Jim'll Fix It( I know it's off limits now, but then it was a good show) and Mike Yarwood to watch, all shows that attracted at least 16 million viewers. At other times of the year on Saturdays there was The Generation Game, Seaside Special, Secret Army, All Creatures Great and Small and Parkinson.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Saturday night schedule July 25,1981:

5.40 pm Chips (California Highway patrol)
    6.35 The Video Entertainers: Vince Hill, Frank Carson
    7.05 Russ Abbot's Saturday Madhouse with Dustin Gee,Michael Barrymore
    7.35 TV Movie: Hellinger's Law, a renowned criminal lawyer
    9.20 Seagull Island with Jeremy Brett,Nicky Henson ''Barbara continues the search for her blind sister''
    10.20 ITN News and sport
    10.35 House on the Hill: Life in a house in Glasgow in the 1930s with Annette Crosbie
    11.35 Let's Rock: Lulu, Joe Brown,Alvin Stardust, Shakin' Stevens
    12.05 Tennent's Golden Arrow Darts highlights
    12.35 Epilogue, close

BBC1 July 25, 1981:

6.15 Pop Quiz with Mike Read
    6.45 Film: Carry On Follow That Camel: Phil Silvers,Jim Dale,Kenneth Williams
    8.20 Summertime Special from Brighton with Faith Brown,Randy Crawford
    9.05 News and sport with Kenneth Kendall
    9.20 Royal International Horse Show from Wembley
    10.30 Roots part 11 (TV miniseries)
    12.00 House Calls (US comedy) with Lynn Redgrave,Wayne Rogers
    12.25 Weather,close

BBC2 July 25, 1981:

4.10 Cricket Benson and Hedges cup final from Lord's
    7.35 News and sport
    7.55 Cloch - the work of Irish sculptors
    8.20 Spirit of Asia: Hinduism
    9.20 Film: Isle of the Dead, Boris Karloff (horror)
    10.30 Film: The Telephone Box: Spanish film with English subtitles
    11.05 News
    11.10 Cricket highlights
    11.40 Film: The Crazies (horror)
    1.25 am Close
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's bad isn't it? restoration man on channel 4, the voice on 1 and that takeaway rubbish on 3.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »

How many people do you think are drunk at 7pm on a Saturday?

I know some very intelligent people who like mindless, undemanding TV. If you use your intellect in your profession, you don't necessarily want to have to use it to be entertained too. Some like to just switch off and be entertained in a very undemanding way. I happen to prefer more demanding TV but that's my choice, not a result of my IQ or education.

Intelligence isn't a very good guide to taste. And saying unintelligent people are the main audience is really quite an insult. I think it's mainly said by people trying to imply they are far too intelligent to be entertained by such things. Intellectual snobbery, nothing more.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Takeaway and Take Me Out are typical lowest common denominator fodder that ITV excels at churning out. Easy enough to avoid though I find, mercifully ;-)

I hate both of the above.

We finished up watching the Winter Olympics, Tony Robinson walking around Norfolk (C4 I think) and That'll Be The Day on one of the drama channels.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the 'mindless and drunks' pay their license fee, buy things from shops in great numbers, 7 million apparently.
    You're nobody on this scale, so go and find something for the 'intelligent and sober' to watch on a different channel..

Unfortunately, your argument cuts both ways. The "top" (in intelligence terms, taste, sobriety or whatever other phrase you want) 10% pay their TV licence, too. So why shouldn't there be just as many programmes that are attractive to them, as well? They have the same entitlement as everyone else, but are much more poorly served by the disproportionate number of soaps. reality, celeb and chat shows.

The point that those people could watch"ordinary" TV can also be turned around: why wouldn't your "7 million" watch more stimulating or mind-stretching programmes?
    I don't know the answer, but TV does always seem to go for the lowest common denominator, where programmes quality is concerned.
    Although it's an old, old phenomenon [ ref: Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public, it's a shame that nobody ever takes the opportunity to look up from their shoes and try to improve things - too risky, I suppose.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Unfortunately, your argument cuts both ways. The "top" (in intelligence terms, taste, or whatever other phrase you want) 10% pay their TV licence, too. So why shouldn't there be programmes that are attractive to them, as well? They have the same entitlement as everyone else, but are much more poorly served by the disproportionate number of soaps. reality, celeb and chat shows.

That's true. The viewing figures also presumably take into account those people who just leave anything on as a background ( as a previous poster said)..we fall into that category, The Voice and The Lottery Game show (or half of it) was on, but I can't remember much about them. I didn't bother watching intently until Salamander came on, but that has been a disappointment compared with the other European dramas we've had in recent years.
    A programme can have good viewing figures, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the audience wouldn't prefer something different. I mean, who wouldn't want to see a gripping drama series or a brilliant new comedy show on a Saturday night ?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Unfortunately, your argument cuts both ways. The "top" (in intelligence terms, taste, sobriety or whatever other phrase you want) 10% pay their TV licence, too. So why shouldn't there be just as many programmes that are attractive to them, as well? They have the same entitlement as everyone else, but are much more poorly served by the disproportionate number of soaps. reality, celeb and chat shows.

The point that those people could watch"ordinary" TV can also be turned around: why wouldn't your "7 million" watch more stimulating or mind-stretching programmes?
    I don't know the answer, but TV does always seem to go for the lowest common denominator, where programmes quality is concerned.
    Although it's an old, old phenomenon [ ref: Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public, it's a shame that nobody ever takes the opportunity to look up from their shoes and try to improve things - too risky, I suppose.
    The "top" 10% do get value for their licence fee, or their commercial spending. They get BBC2, BBC4, Channel4, etc. Smaller audience, minority tastes. You can't expect low rating shows to be put on the main channels at peak times.

If your taste only commands 10% of the viewing public it will not get on the high audience rating channels. It's not that ITV and BBC go for the lowest common denominator, they go for what pleases the most people.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    How many people do you think are drunk at 7pm on a Saturday?

I know some very intelligent people who like mindless, undemanding TV. If you use your intellect in your profession, you don't necessarily want to have to use it to be entertained too. Some like to just switch off and be entertained in a very undemanding way. I happen to prefer more demanding TV but that's my choice, not a result of my IQ or education.

Intelligence isn't a very good guide to taste. And saying unintelligent people are the main audience is really quite an insult. I think it's mainly said by people trying to imply they are far too intelligent to be entertained by such things. Intellectual snobbery, nothing more.

ITV is a business and in these cut throat times, 7 million is very good and Takeaway provides an alternative to The Voice. Yes I think it's mindnumbing dross, but could ITV really justify showing something like Question Time in peak time, which would be lucky to get 2 million viewers. There's always BBC Four for the more sober viewer.