Options

Is there still a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
Forum Member
I really, really don't want this thread to turn into a row or have to be taken off or anything like that.

Do you think that some portions of the country still hold a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland based on the past?

Comments

• Options
    Scout66Scout66 Posts: 5,576
    Forum Member
    No and how does one hold a stigma?
  • Options
    yawalloperyawalloper Posts: 6,561
    Forum Member
    She came 2nd....:confused:
  • Options
    Stellen11Stellen11 Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    GazzaBB wrote: »
    I really, really don't want this thread to turn into a row or have to be taken off or anything like that.

Do you think that some portions of the country still hold a stigma towards people from Northern Ireland based on the past?

No. Not at all.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's so much of a stigma about HMs from Northern Ireland that two out of the last three HMs were from there :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yawalloper wrote: »
    She came 2nd....:confused:

I was thinking more about Christopher. I feel that if he was English people may have found him a lot more relatable and got behind him to a greater extent.

It's only a theory, I'm not saying that there is or isn't.
  • Options
    Dave MacDave Mac Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if Ashleigh had won some people would have said she only won cause she got the Irish vote.

Therefore, I guess Helen won because of the English vote :)
  • Options
    jayojayo Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    People in Ireland cant vote on BB which i think is unfair.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashleigh should have had a smart strategy in final week. Ruined it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Ashleigh should have had a smart strategy in final week. Ruined it.

Ashleigh was just herself in fairness to her. No more, no less.

I wanted Christopher to win but Helen winning was the stuff of nightmares.
  • Options
    Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope....not me
  • Options
    Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashleigh came second because she is a Republican and the majority of NI are loyalists. Thank God people in the ROI can't vote
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    My mum and all that side of the family are over there. I never knew there was a stigma? Well not in my lifetime maybe previously.
  • Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get Channel 5 but many cant, but I do notice Irish females always seem to be cast in the villain role. and to be hated by the BB fans, i find this very disappointing.
    Kimberley had a b/f and blatantly cheated with Steven in front of him on TV and had sex on TV., Yet Hazel was hated for flirting with a guy in an ambiguous relationship and was then blamed when he tried to strangle her.
    Noirin was stalked by several loonies in her show and guess who was blamed and vilified once again for sweet fook all, yes Noirin. What did she really do, Siavash had a g/f he embarrassed and humiliated and then played the victim but Noirin was blamed , when she chose a man she had previously said she still loved. I just think no Irish girl should go on BB..
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    The opposition tonight just wasn't good enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quasimoron wrote: »
    I can get Channel 5 but many cant, but I do notice Irish females always seem to be cast in the villain role. and to be hated by the BB fans, i find this very disappointing.
    Kimberley had a b/f and blatantly cheated with Steven in front of him on TV and had sex on TV., Yet Hazel was hated for flirting with a guy in an ambiguous relationship and was then blamed when he tried to strangle her.
    Noirin was stalked by several loonies in her show and guess who was blamed and vilified once again for sweet fook all, yes Noirin. What did she really do, Siavash had a g/f he embarrassed and humiliated and then played the victim but Noirin was blamed , when she chose a man she had previously said she still loved. I just think no Irish girl should go on BB..

Hazel deserves little sympathy. She pushed his buttons with the rubbing up against him, suggestive comments and straddling him when he had a hard-on. His actions that night were totally scum though. They both deserved flack.

Even though i didn't like her, I did feel sorry for Noirin. Marcus was delusional, Sree was mental and Siavash was a naughty boy. Not her fault.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jayo wrote: »
    People in Ireland cant vote on BB which i think is unfair.

People in Northern Ireland ( where both Ashleigh & Christopher are from) ARE allowed to vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Mac wrote: »
    Hazel deserves little sympathy. She pushed his buttons with the rubbing up against him, suggestive comments and straddling him when he had a hard-on. His actions that night were totally scum though. They both deserved flack.

Even though i didn't like her, I did feel sorry for Noirin. Marcus was delusional, Sree was mental and Siavash was a naughty boy. Not her fault.

Hazel was a very confident straight up woman sexually wise but that does not make her evil or deserving of hate, its 2014. or the humiliation BB piled on her on the show including the weeping ex on Bots. You have to have some perspective. I dont want to see any other Irish girls on BB,
    Did you get my point about KImberley , she had sex on Tv but people just ignored it. Way "sluttier" than being suggestive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GazzaBB wrote: »
    Ashleigh was just herself in fairness to her. No more, no less.

I wanted Christopher to win but Helen winning was the stuff of nightmares.
    Kept opening her mouth in the last week, became too divisive and ruined it. Although she could make that 100k from modelling, she ruined a great chance to win 100k.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashleigh came second because she is a Republican and the majority of NI are loyalists. Thank God people in the ROI can't vote

Your theory doesn't work for Christopher. He's a Prod but only came third! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Kept opening her mouth in the last week, became too divisive and ruined it. Although she could make that 100k from modelling, she ruined a great chance to win 100k.

Helen ran her mouth for ten weeks and won. BB set it up for a Helen win, we said it last week and they succeeded in fooling people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helen ran her mouth for ten weeks and won. BB set it up for a Helen win, we said it last week and they succeeded in fooling people.
    Sure but don't become divisive and you would always beat a person like Helen. Sam for example would have beaten Helen as he wasn't too divisive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hazel was a very confident straight up woman sexually wise but that does not make her evil or deserving of hate, its 2014. or the humiliation BB piled on her on the show including the weeping ex on Bots. You have to have some perspective. I dont want to see any other Irish girls on BB,
    Did you get my point about KImberley , she had sex on Tv but people just ignored it. Way "sluttier" than being suggestive.

There's upfront and full on. I'll leave it up to you to pick what she was but I'd pick the latter. I know better than to watch that awful sideshow (perfect description of it coincidently). Horrible show. Crap panellists, crap "experts", crap fans, crap presenters. That aint even the worst of it, its the horrendous bias.

Daley got kicked out. The cowards way out. Would've been nice to see him get booed horrendously.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew there was a stigma.

The only time anything contentious comes up is when nationalists and unionists disagree in these types of threads :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    How ridiculous
    Helen was the obvious underdog and won because she had the best story, ie villan to hero (in some people's eyes). Nothing to do with where Ashleigh comes from.
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a 1.2% divide? YEAH totally, a MASSIVE stigma ....