Ridiculous lack of choice with Apple

12345679»

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    £39.99 is still too much to pay when Skobbler does a better job. You only have to read the reviews.

I like steve..... he's funny. He makes me laugh .....

Can we keep him??? :D
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I like steve..... he's funny. He makes me laugh .....

Can we keep him??? :D

lols I am here you know!
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £39.99 is still too much to pay when Skobbler does a better job. You only have to read the reviews.

yes. lets.
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/20/skobbler-updates-its-0-99-nav-app-with-mixed-results/
    How does it work? It's still a mixed bag. The maps are clear enough, but operation is quirky..... if it can't get you home, it's really not a good investment, even at $0.99.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/appsblog/2011/oct/27/skobbler-navigation-2-satnav-app
    this Skobbler app does the job but isn't quite as clever as it thinks......A slightly robotic female voice gives directions. ;).......Everything accessed via the Category tab, however, is a bit rubbish. It is supposed to list by category (eating out, accommodation, transport, shopping, health etc) all the amenities close to you, and then direct you to them. Given that I live on the edge of one of Brighton's main hotel areas, the fact the app offered only 15 to choose from suggests it's not comprehensive

and from loyal app store customers:
    http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gps-navigation-2-satnav-by/id329340711?mt=8
    Useless, old, outdated maps. Missing information about many, many "category" destinations......
    nice app, poor address lookup and maps

Reviews read Steve. Now what?
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an iPhone owner I'll be the first to admit that Android has a distinct advantage with its free Google navigation.

There are some good free ones available for iOS but Google's version is better IMO, if only for the perfect integration with Google Search.

Google Navigation isn't perfect of course, needing to download a route used to kill my data allowance (pre-cache did nothing for traffic and turn-by-turn navigation) but it was still very good.

Copilot is the way forward for me though, £25 is a small price to pay for a quality sat-nav :)
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    lols I am here you know!

Im thinking a 'Truman Show' type thing .... we could formally adopt you with Digital Spy Forum parentage :)
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief. Phone bloody sat nav. My sat nav is built into the car, although as I can read I rarely use it. I would imagine any car I buy in the future will have integrated sat nav as well.

Surely you need a screen to use a sat nav? I cany imagine where in a car you could place an iPhone and still be able to see its teeny weeny screen,
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Surely you need a screen to use a sat nav? I cany imagine where in a car you could place an iPhone and still be able to see its teeny weeny screen,

Whilst most people use it that way, the whole point of the voice navigation is so you don't need to take your eyes off the road. I use a phone for in-car nav, and don't have the screen in a visible place. I can certainly see the advantages of having it fixed to the windscreen and easily visible, but I don't have a dock that does this. Not much different to a passenger with a map giving you directions, probably not a great idea to attempt to llok at the map as well!
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »

:confused:

I have no problems seeing mine and my eyesight isn't the best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Google navigation is good for built in though, it doesn't stop you from upgrading from the free google version to Navigon or something.

Navigon UK for Android is £39.95
    Navigon UK for iPhone is £69.99

You gotta pay that 30% Apple tax if you want it on an iPhone.

It's actually £59.99 for the British Isles one at the moment, although it's regularly on sale anyway. :) Looking at app shopper it was recently £19.99. I managed to buy it for my iPhone last year for £17.99. :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes it look like the Android one is worse.

Or does VAT boost that 30%?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is how Apple operate, they lock you into using what they want you to use and how they want you to use it.... Open Source just gives you more freedom and choice.
    It's incredible waht you have to put up with to won Apple products.
    There is no connecting an industry standard NMEA bluetooth GPS to the likes of the Mini.
    Instead you get to buy a licensed GPS or use your iPhone only.

And the very same with HDMI/MHL industry standard connection to your TV.
    Buy the Apple TV or spend £40 on an Apple Lightning to HDMI 'bodge' adapter that gives suspect results.

The problem is that with so many happy to let Apple abandon connectivity standards, others may follow.