Options

Will a 576p picture upscaled to a 1080p screen look worse than if it was native 576p?

I'm going to get a 1080p tv. From what I've read 720p upscales to 1080p okay, however I do have a one or two sources that output in 576p. I know upscaling a 576p picture to 1080p won't make it look any better, but I just wondered if it will actually look any worse than if the 576p picture was displayed on a native screen?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A native 720p source will scale better to 1080p than a 576p source but there are very few native 720p sources around:)

Of course a 576p/i source will appear to look better than on SD CRT or other SD display since it's resolution is closer to that of a HD display, the point being that most of the flaws in the compression (talking digital here) are still there but with a lower res screen and probably much smaller as well you can't see them in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Excellent. Thank you for responding. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Interesting question. My understanding is that scaling (making the picture bigger) and upscaling (deriving the missing pixels) are two different things.

If I'm correct, surely we're talking scaling and not upscaling here?

I've just bought a new Surround Sound Receiver and it also has upscaling capabilities to 1080p. I was hoping to use it to upscale my DVD player (576p) and my Xbox 360/HD-DVD Player (1080i) to 1080p.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Well I don't know. I may know some of the technical jargon as far as the whole resolution thing goes but certainly not all of it. Scaling... Upscaling... Its was all one and the same thing to me until you mentioned that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Can't claim to understand it all myself so I could be wrong. Just the way I understood it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to get a 1080p tv. From what I've read 720p upscales to 1080p okay, however I do have a one or two sources that output in 576p. I know upscaling a 576p picture to 1080p won't make it look any better, but I just wondered if it will actually look any worse than if the 576p picture was displayed on a native screen?

There is no absolute answer, it depends upon the quality of the equipment, and the quality of the signal.

HD dosn't just mean more lines, it really does mean more "definition". It will show you detail in SD signals you never saw before, but will also show how bad the worse broadcasts are as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Upscaling is a mathematical formula to increase the resolution so that the original source material will have the same density as the new higher resolution.

Sony have been using this technique even with their top end CRT TV's to improve image quality ie KV32/36DX200 series.

If the brand just quotes upscaling to HDMI then most likely this is just to 720p not 1080p.