Options

Who are the likeable presenters on TV today?

Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
Forum Member
✭✭
Looking back I remember the likes of Ted Rogers, Tom O'Connor and Bob Holness. They made their shows enjoyable to me because they were likeable. Who is there on TV these days?

Comments

• Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Bradley Walsh? Alexander Armstrong? (Thinking on similar game show lines.)
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nostalgia has a habit of making it all seem so wonderful.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did like Jim "nothing in this game, for two in a bed" Bowen. I also liked Paul O' Grady aka Lily Savage on Blankety Blank.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,643
    Forum Member
    The people I enjoy presenting various programs are
    John Sergeant - pleasant, easy going voice.
    Warwick Davis - very natural
    Paul O'Grady - sounds very genuine
    An actor, not a presenter, but thought Greg Wise did a great job this evening in C4s Dispatches.
    Favourite voice over - Mark Strong
  • Options
    Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ant and Dec, and Stephen Mulhern. Those three by a mile. :) All genuinely funny guys who would be a great laugh at the pub along with entertaining us all on-screen with BGT.
  • Options
    stewartbstewartb Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Looking back I remember the likes of Ted Rogers, Tom O'Connor and Bob Holness. They made their shows enjoyable to me because they were likeable. Who is there on TV these days?

I agree whole-heartedly with those three. Richard Whiteley, too. I miss Crosswits. It introduced me to the joy of cryptic crosswords and puzzles when I was young. Too intelligent for modern audiences, I fear :(

What all of them have in common, as far as I'm concerned, is they're like a favourite uncle or aunt. too. You can/could watch them with your parents or children and you know you can trust them not to be crude or rude on their shows, but still fun,

Bradley Walsh and Alexander Armstrong are good calls, I suppose. John Craven, too.

I am struggling to come up with people who are still alive. All of these people are at least in their mid-40s. I can't think of any younger ones (or females!)
  • Options
    WhiskyrumWhiskyrum Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willaboobie
  • Options
    davies88davies88 Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whiskyrum wrote: »
    Willaboobie

Really? Seems a bit up herself to me. At least these last few years.
  • Options
    ceefax2ceefax2 Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    stewartb wrote: »
    I agree whole-heartedly with those three. Richard Whiteley, too. I miss Crosswits. It introduced me to the joy of cryptic crosswords and puzzles when I was young. Too intelligent for modern audiences, I fear :(

What all of them have in common, as far as I'm concerned, is they're like a favourite uncle or aunt. too. You can/could watch them with your parents or children and you know you can trust them not to be crude or rude on their shows, but still fun,

Bradley Walsh and Alexander Armstrong are good calls, I suppose. John Craven, too.

I am struggling to come up with people who are still alive. All of these people are at least in their mid-40s. I can't think of any younger ones (or females!)

The role that Walsh plays on The Chase makes him likeable because he is on the side of the contestant and against the chaser. It must be one of very few quiz shows where the person asking the questions is so much 'with' the contestants. Eggheads possibly another.
  • Options
    ceefax2ceefax2 Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Nostalgia has a habit of making it all seem so wonderful.
    You can look on Youtube and see these people presenting so it's not a case of memory playing tricks.
  • Options
    malspiemalspie Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul O'Grady, Bradley Walsh, Jonathan Ross and Ant & Dec. Absolutely cannot stand the smug Alexander Armstrong.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    ceefax2 wrote: »
    The role that Walsh plays on The Chase makes him likeable because he is on the side of the contestant and against the chaser. It must be one of very few quiz shows where the person asking the questions is so much 'with' the contestants. Eggheads possibly another.

Xander is on Pointless as well...

I think Graham Norton's a likable telly host too. Ditto Frank Skinner.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alexander Armstrong
    Paul O'Grady (he was brilliant at the black cap)
    Graham Norton
    Jeremy vine
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prof. Brian Cox
    Dr. Alice Roberts
    Dr Tori Herridge
    David Attenborough
    Sue Perkins
    Levison Wood
    Even Alan Titchmarsh in one or two of his documentaries.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I quite like James May on those documentaries/shows he does
    Paul O'Grady
    Bradley Walsh
    Ant and Dec
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davina McCall. She's one of the most down-to-earth presenters. The lass has overcome a lot with growing up with her wicked mother, getting into drugs to reforming herself into one of the most recognizable presenters in the UK, you've got to hand it to her - she did very well for herself. Never relapsed, no controversies, just goes to show how strong she is given the drug-fuelled industry she works in.

I know DS hates her shouting act, but I adore it. It makes it her and not some monotone, clone from the BBC or Good Morning Britain.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The presenters for A Place in the Sun are all excellent, especially Jasmine Harman and Laura Hamilton.
  • Options
    methyl_propylmethyl_propyl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Michaela Strachan is consistently nice in whatever show she has presented over the last 30 years.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Portillo on his railway journeys completely different from the politician of years ago
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmmm....struggling to think of a completely likable one to be honest, Emma Willis maybe.
  • Options
    ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Portillo on his railway journeys completely different from the politician of years ago

Yes he is a man transformed! I for one cheered when he lost his seat in parliament, he was a pretty unpleasant character - today he really come across as a listening person, genuinely interested in the subject he's covering and I thoroughly enjoy his broadcasting (if not his sartorial) style.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Worsley.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you'll get everyone to agree about anyone.
  • Options
    janehobbs1janehobbs1 Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Fern Britton
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NicoleRich wrote: »
    Davina McCall. She's one of the most down-to-earth presenters. The lass has overcome a lot with growing up with her wicked mother, getting into drugs to reforming herself into one of the most recognizable presenters in the UK, you've got to hand it to her - she did very well for herself. Never relapsed, no controversies, just goes to show how strong she is given the drug-fuelled industry she works in.

I know DS hates her shouting act, but I adore it. It makes it her and not some monotone, clone from the BBC or Good Morning Britain.

I'm afraid the shouty business always put me off Davina. She's not the only one, there was a time when nearly every female presenter appeared to have been instructed to shout excitedly at the drop of a hat. She has toned it down though, I'll give her that.