Buying HD-Ready?.....take note

David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is "Full HD"?
A screen with (or above) 1,920x1,080 resolution and the ability to display HD 1080p signals. Although the UK is concentrating on using 720p and 1080i signals, some devices sold in the UK such as the new Blue Ray disc players (inc PlayStation 3) also offer 1080p output, which is better quality than 1080i. Furthermore, even with a 1080i signal the image must be scaled down (thus reducing definition slightly) to display on the more common 1366x768 displays. With a 1,920x1,080 display the 1080i (and 1080p) pictures can be shown at 1:1 resolution, not requiring any intervention from the circuitry of the tv, and thus providing the sharpest image. So even if your HD source is 1080i, you will still see an improvement in picture sharpness. As of Jan 2007, the cheapest Full HD sets cost around £1,500 and are limited to 37inch screens and above. However, this will change, as will the inclusion of a 2nd HDMI input connector over the next 12 months.

So if you want the Ultra HD future proof tv, make sure its got the FullHD specification.

Dave

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    And does it give a massively better picture? - NO!.

Can you actually see the difference? - perhaps?, it's not that much better, but perhaps slightly?.

Nice in theory, not so nice in practice!.

As with anything - TRY it first, sets side by side off the same HD picture if you can - any dealer should be happy to do that for you.
  • meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the above.

The truth is that 1920 x 1080p resolution is wasted on current generation LCDs. You may like to think you will get a better picture with all those extra pixels, but the fact is you won't.

I would take a good 1024 x 768p plasma over any 1080p LCD. A proper side-by-side comparison demonstrates that a good plasma with half the pixels beats any 1080p LCD for picture quality. That said, Pioneer's PDP5000EX plasma is full HD 1920 x 1080p, but it's 50" and costs £5000!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I see a lot of good press on the 1080p sony 40w2000, saying that it really gives plasma a run for it's money, plus looking at the screen myself the image does appear more vibrant and alive than a couple of plamas i've seen... I'm looking to get a set that will support blu ray and HD-DVD at their optimal output... just future proofing I suppose.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Nothing actually broadcasts in 1080p does it? While it might be fine for watching blu-rays and playing PS3 games at 1080p, what are you going to do when you are bored with that?

Sky HD ouputs at 1080i doesnt it so I dont really think theres anything to gain by purchasing a 1080p set and believe me I've been considering these options recently!!
    Forum Member
    correct ... it will be a long time before we get 1080p broadcasts...
    I agree generally probably not much point in getting it however I still want to get the most out of the the bluray and hddvd + ps3...

one other thing, won't 1080I media also look better as it will be displayed at 1:1 native resoloution rather than scaling up ?
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wyabcp wrote:

one other thing, won't 1080I media also look better as it will be displayed at 1:1 native resoloution rather than scaling up ?

It still has to be de-interlaced. Also there won't necessarily be 1:1 mapping on 1080p because of overscan.
  • technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    37 inch 1080p set can be bought via the net for £1100, the sharp model. Expect that to improve as 1080p equipment comes out like Blu-Ray and PS3. I think its still a case of wait and see if you can, if nothing else the technology will impove. This is why I am waiting till late 2007 to jump!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    And does it give a massively better picture? - NO!.

Can you actually see the difference? - perhaps?, it's not that much better, but perhaps slightly?.

Nice in theory, not so nice in practice!.

As with anything - TRY it first, sets side by side off the same HD picture if you can - any dealer should be happy to do that for you.

The quality of the picture of the ones in Currys look brilliant with the underwater animals.

I would not pay 1500 pounds for a television though. Nor would I want a television thats that big. 37 inches would not fit in my lounge.
    Forum Member
    I'm actually looking for a new house to fit my tv into...