An Adventure In Space And Time filming reports (Pics inside)

Comments

• paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    From Gallifrey Base:

there a few stories I've heard from that day of filming on Westminster Bridge.

One of the funniest involved a delivery driver. The Daleks were being controlled by members of the crew (Dad was in the third IIRC) - when the driver stopped at the traffic lights six daleks stopped - 3 on oneside, 3 on the other - at which point the lead Dalek took it on himself to salute the Palace of Westminster - the delivery driver was reported to have run from his vehicle in fright.

I still wonder who is going to play Dad in An Adventure in Time and Space - as he was Production Designer on that episode, and involved as an Assistant the previous year.

(I was born in November - so too young to remember this - just the stories over the years).
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    there a few stories I've heard from that day of filming on Westminster Bridge.

One of the funniest involved a delivery driver. The Daleks were being controlled by members of the crew (Dad was in the third IIRC) - when the driver stopped at the traffic lights six daleks stopped - 3 on oneside, 3 on the other - at which point the lead Dalek took it on himself to salute the Palace of Westminster - the delivery driver was reported to have run from his vehicle in fright.

I still wonder who is going to play Dad in An Adventure in Time and Space - as he was Production Designer on that episode, and involved as an Assistant the previous year.

(I was born in November - so too young to remember this - just the stories over the years).

I hope you remembered to send these to Mark Gatiss before he wrote the script.
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I hope you remembered to send these to Mark Gatiss before he wrote the script.

Nope - just wondering who is playing Dad - first time in my life that something involving the family has been dramatised.

It was crew members who controlled the Daleks during that (in)-famous picture on Westminster. It was quicker than dismantling them, loading them into a lorry, driving to the next location and then rebuilding them, and not all the actors who controlled the Daleks wanted to do that.

The police were not that impressed with the Dalek marks on the Lions in Trafalgar Square either.

(PS Hope they get rid of those Red Lines - there were no red lines on Westminster Bridge in 1964).
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    The dalek marks were excellent, even if it was vandalism! They did a terrific job of making London a post apocalypse nightmare. Really epic telly.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was an article about the Dalek shoot in today's Mirror and also a little pic of some of the cast in 60s outfits and Jessica Powell look very Barbara-ish
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    How does a Dalek salute? Struggling to picture it as the human version involves arms etc. :confused:
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    We'll see in 2063.

Only if I get to 107, if I do probably won't be able to even remember who Dr Who is.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Nope - just wondering who is playing Dad - first time in my life that something involving the family has been dramatised.

You say that as if it's more usual for something to have than to not.
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    How does a Dalek salute? Struggling to picture it as the human version involves arms etc. :confused:

Well in the case of the Daleks saluting the Palace of Westminster the eye stalks went up.
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Reece Shearsmith is playing Patrick Troughton in this, according to Radio Times.

There are some new pictures of Bradley as Hartnell in that article as well.

Can't remember where I read it now, but Gatiss mentioned something about possibly including 'The Three Doctors' as the programme is as much about Hartnell as the making of Doctor Who. Would be nice to see the publicity still of the first three recreated. There is an actor called Richard Bremmer who I always thought would make a good Pertwee.
    Forum Member
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    Only if I get to 107, if I do probably won't be able to even remember who Dr Who is.

I'll be 74.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Well in the case of the Daleks saluting the Palace of Westminster the eye stalks went up.

Ah! Thankyou. I guessed it must have been something like that, but it's nice to have it defined.

:)
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    I only expected a glimpse into the preparation of doctor who. Basing it on the coronation street docu drama id expected it to simply end on the first transmission

This is alot more through and in depth if the regeneration is to be discussed and documented. Hartnell didn't want the part to end did he? He wanted to keep going so im interested in the myths that surround this period as some of it is written like he wants to leave other bits that producers asked him to step down. I hope mark sheds the truth of what really happened
    He has spent ages researching so I gather from the media reports to get it all accurate!
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I only expected a glimpse into the preparation of doctor who. Basing it on the coronation street docu drama id expected it to simply end on the first transmission

The Daleks on Westminster Bridge was Season 2 so clearly they will be covering that part - I was thinking that Ray Cusick and Dad would be covered by a composite character - still might be - I notice in the case list that outside of the 'higher up' folks like Verity Lambert are listed but none of the craft and behind the camera positions - jobs like Production Designer give a lot to the look of the Doctor - the look of the Daleks was the work of Ray and Dad - not Terry Nation, who wrote the script.
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »

This is alot more through and in depth if the regeneration is to be discussed and documented. Hartnell didn't want the part to end did he? He wanted to keep going so im interested in the myths that surround this period as some of it is written like he wants to leave other bits that producers asked him to step down. I hope mark sheds the truth of what really happened
    He has spent ages researching so I gather from the media reports to get it all accurate!

If it follows Gatiss's original plan for it, as he described them to Doctor Who magazine in 2003, the opening scene is the filming of the regeneration scene from The Tenth Planet and it tells the full story of Hartnell's reign.
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    If it follows Gatiss's original plan for it, as he described them to Doctor Who magazine in 2003, the opening scene is the filming of the regeneration scene from The Tenth Planet and it tells the full story of Hartnell's reign.

Gatiss is a bit of a regular on Radio 4's 'The Film Programme' and when ever this was mentioned it was described as a biopic of William Hartnell rather than Doctor Who, so it makes sense that it's covering much more than the making of the first episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is gorgeous. :)
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're ace! Thanks for posting them, endofthegame!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing Pics.

I know a lot of people don't want to recast previous Doctors/companions but looking at the cast in character on the TARDIS set someone must be thinking of filming a brand new First Doctor story surely.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    The interior Tardis shots look too good because I can't see the fake wall :)
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The interior Tardis shots look too good because I can't see the fake wall :)

Interesting - this is the original An Unearthly Child before the remount. Note Susan's costume.
    Forum Member
    Closer:

3RlJkvD.jpg
    bVj0lra.jpg
    CtwFL2p.jpg
    fEStJDo.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of those sets are beautiful.

I'm kind of hoping that we see them being used in the 50th. I think it would be a blast to see the current Doctor walking through such an early console room.

Neil Gaiman originally wanted to use a Classic console in 'The Doctor's Wife', but due to budgetary reasons had to stick with the 9/10 version. Maybe with one already made for another project, it could be used for the 50th as well.