Overwatch

mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone on the Beta? Is it any good?

All I keep seeing about it are regarding character's supposedly dodgy poses and characters accidentally turning invisible, very little about actual gameplay...

Comments

• fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's good! (played almost every day from when the closed beta started). Pre-order beta starts midnight tonight on PC/ PS4/ XBO. Open beta for all is May 5-9. It's definitely worth a download if you're interested in buying. I've pre-ordered the PC version so will be playing there mostly, but am intrigued to see how it's going to play on the PS4 too.

Here's a good primer so you don't start the game wondering WTF is going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_lrilSEqOE
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of FPS games, but I've watched a lot of streams and youtube videos of the game and I really liked what I saw and read about the game. Decided to preorder it yesterday, even though I could've tried it for free when the open beta starts on Thursday. Really looking forward to it. :)
  • ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    I put down a cheeky pre - order yesterday too but i'm assuming there was a cut off point for beta access?

I haven't received any beta key
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put down a cheeky pre - order yesterday too but i'm assuming there was a cut off point for beta access?

I haven't received any beta key

Where did you pre-order from?
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Where did you pre-order from?

Amazon UK, they're normally quite good with codes so I just assumed I'd mistimed it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon UK, they're normally quite good with codes so I just assumed I'd mistimed it

Amazon UK aren't included in the promo. The pre-order beta is exclusive to GAME (and direct online purchases, I think)
    Forum Member
    Amazon UK aren't included in the promo. The pre-order beta is exclusive to GAME (and direct online purchases, I think)

Ah damn it didn't realise the beta was an exclusive deal >:( Will just wait 2 days then, not worth cancelling my Amazon one and laying one down with Game instead
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah damn it didn't realise the beta was an exclusive deal >:( Will just wait 2 days then, not worth cancelling my Amazon one and laying one down with Game instead

I paid the extra quid on Amazon for the badge etc, though I now might cancel it all. I'll give the beta a shot but I don't have much time nowadays for team-centric gaming, especially as this looks a lot more involved than I was expecting. Awesomenauts is probably my limit, haha
  • WoodsMonkWoodsMonk Posts: 6,462
    Forum Member
    If anyone is with XBL rewards check your Junk mail for a beta code.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodsMonk wrote: »
    If anyone is with XBL rewards check your Junk mail for a beta code.

I am but haven't had anything through...
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am but haven't had anything through...

Same here
    Forum Member
    So as soon as the public beta went live tonight I sat down and played it for what was intended to only be a "quick go" before bed which has now become playing through to 3 in the morning :blush::D

I must admit the first few matches were frustrating as I just found myself struggling to get to grips with ANY of the characters, but now I think I've got my firm favourites in Mercy the Medic, Reaper (who EVERYONE seems to play as), Tracer and Widowmaker the sniper class.

It's one of those games that takes a while to adjust to everything but when it all clicks it has a lot to offer, really enjoyed myself when I got into the swing of things, though having tried out every class offline in the target range, I think it's safe to say there are at least 8 characters I will never take online, I'd get absolutely destroyed playing as some of them
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I played the beta last night. It was pretty much as I expected, it looked amazing was very polished and fun - but perhaps a little lacking in depth. As this is a Blizzard game I expect there will be a lot of content add post release and it will end up being a huge success. But as it stands right now I prefer the more interesting gameplay of Battleborn, which I'm going to pick up tonight - sadly I expect Battleborn to be dead in a few months, so i'll enjoy it while I can, then move to Overwatch - which by then will more than likely be amazing by then (given Blizzards normal post game patches/adddition.).
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Played a few hours of the open beta this morning. I'm terrible at the game, especially with aiming. :D At the moment I'm just sticking with the healers, as I feel I'm a lot better at, lol. It's a fun game though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a quick go at the training in the beta. Very polished, as expected. Simple controls, standard gameplay. Blizzard have basically made a fairly solid toybox for everyone to go crazy with. Nice.
    Forum Member
    Managed to get a "Play of the Game" highlight clip today, feel like I've peaked early and that'll never happen again :D
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've played as everyone at for at least one full game now and I've got an idea of who I like and who I don't like:

Like:
    - Genji
    - Pharah
    - Solider: 76
    - Tracer
    - Bastion
    - Junkrat
    - Torbjorn
    - Widowmaker
    - D.Va
    - Roadhog
    - Mercy
    - Zenyatta

Dislike
    - McCree
    - Reaper
    - Hanzo
    - Mei
    - Reinhardt
    - Winston
    - Zarya
    - Lucio
    - Symmetra
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out tonight, midnight UK time, excited!
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    every gaming site seems to be saying how great it its but hardly anyone i know or have on friends list is playing this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    every gaming site seems to be saying how great it its but hardly anyone i know or have on friends list is playing this

It's good, it's fun, but I don't think it's 'amazing'... I know a couple of people who absolutely love it and won't shut up about it.

I suspect a healthy amount of cash has been flowing from Blizzard for advertising and a fair few gaming sites are being overly friendly/positive because of this. Heard someone accusing Eurogamer of this yesterday as they've posted an inordinate number of articles on Overwatch as well as setting up a whole separate website devoted to the game...
    Forum Member
    It's good, it's fun, but I don't think it's 'amazing'... I know a couple of people who absolutely love it and won't shut up about it.

I suspect a healthy amount of cash has been flowing from Blizzard for advertising and a fair few gaming sites are being overly friendly/positive because of this. Heard someone accusing Eurogamer of this yesterday as they've posted an inordinate number of articles on Overwatch as well as setting up a whole separate website devoted to the game...
    Normally I'd be the first to call bull on websites being nice to games because of any money coming in but jesus christ making a whole other separate website is massively OTT :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally I'd be the first to call bull on websites being nice to games because of any money coming in but jesus christ making a whole other separate website is massively OTT :o

EG have been promoting it for ages as their sister-site: http://overwatch.metabomb.net/

Just noticed they also have similar for Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm and no other games so, yeah... pretty close to Blizzard, I guess...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That site has been around a while, they just added the overwatch subdomain. EG have been for a long while slightly er.. dubious about running massive adverts for games then coming up with lots of positive content for them, Destiny anyone? It is a good game though, you don't get 9.7million players in a beta with a few backhanders to websites. They must of sold a truckload of copies as well, judging by reddit last night as the Overwatch servers were a few mins late up, reddit servers took a pounding instead with all the complaining :)
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've now played a few matches and the game seems really good. I'm getting the hand of the matches and the need to change class depending on what the requirements of your team and how the match is going.

I usually select a defence character so that I can protect the others, but my last match last night, we were losing by people not changing class, so I swapped to Reaper and managed to start pinning the enemy back and we won .
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they're constantly going on about how great this is on gamespot and ign podcasts but nobody on my friends lists on xbox or playstation is playing this. is this a case of reviewers having a different impression of a game than the public?