Options

Roger Scott tribute site

MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,903
Forum Member
Roger's son Jamie has just launched a tribute site to his father with many audio files available.

http://www.rogerscott.net/

Comments

• Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturday Squence was the brilliant show on Radio 1
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He would be about 73 yrs now.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Roger's son Jamie has just launched a tribute site to his father with many audio files available.

http://www.rogerscott.net/
    This is fantastic news. I have been wanting to hear hour long segments from his programme on Capital for years. The only thing is there must surely be more somewhere, especially from the mid 1970s? Still for me the greatest mainstream/daytime music presenter of all time although I have tried to find the words to explain to myself why and have never fully achieved it. Mostly it is the combination of delivery and voice.
  • Options
    Shaun_HunneybelShaun_Hunneybel Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    The reason that Roger Scott was such a brilliant radio presenter was that he had the ability to convince you that he was ONLY TALKING TO YOU. The man was a genius and I still miss his melodious tones now. Hearing his last show brought a tear to my eye. Glad there is now a site in his memory. A national treasure.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    The reason that Roger Scott was such a brilliant radio presenter was that he had the ability to convince you that he was ONLY TALKING TO YOU. The man was a genius and I still miss his melodious tones now. Hearing his last show brought a tear to my eye. Glad there is now a site in his memory. A national treasure.

Spot on Shaun, his very last link on his Radio 1 Sunday night show hoping to be back next week but there are no guarantees is one of those radio sign offs that I'll remember forever, he died just a couple of weeks later.

It's a great site with some great audio clips which I hope will be added to over time.
  • Options
    mw963mw963 Posts: 3,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with all the praise; he was the first person to make me realise the richness of pop (for want of a better word) music, having been brought up in a home where pop was considered "A Bad Thing".

I'd add one other factor to the reason Roger was successful: his genuine niceness was entirely evident to the listener; some radio people are horrible but hide it, some are nice but it probably sounds insincere, somehow the fact that he was such a nice guy arrived at the listener without any sort of contrived effort.

I've got some tapes somewhere I think, but won't be able to look them out for a while....
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see the New Year's Day All Time Top 100 there. Trying to put names to faces in the presenter photo. Some easier than others. Is that Nicky Campbell next to Gambo?
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Site suspended.
  • Options
    Graham CollinsGraham Collins Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Roger had the ability to talk sensibly and knowledgably about a common interest - music. He was also very slick technically - I admired that. He sounded like a bloke you'd get on with if you ever met him - that was the key.

He was normal and not showbiz at all, something that he alluded to in his edition of the Radio Radio documentary series, dedicated to his life as a broadcaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    Site suspended.

Scroll down to comment on this from Paul Evans, Jamie and others on this one hour ago.

https://www.facebook.com/RogerScottDJ/posts/10153671368117252
  • Options
    meerkat-martinmeerkat-martin Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Hopefully they will be able sort out why it's been suspended and have it up and running again soon.

I was enjoying listening to a show from 1979 the traffic news was interesting as only small bits of what was to become the M25 had been built. Now days you don't get a traffic report that doesn't mention it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamie posted that having spoken to the website host the site was down due to a technical issue which has now been rectified, not anything to do with copyright.