Our Zoo coming soon to BBC1

Comments

• mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why was this not a Sunday night show.... The feel good factor is there. A brilliant programme all round :)
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed that, excellent family drama and I think it compliments its lead in (Bake Off) well. I definitely don't trust that reverend, but it's always good to see Stephen Campbell Moore.

It'll be interesting how they pace this, if it's a hit BBC will want it to continue a while. I can see the zoo opening at the end of the series, but I imagine there's a lot of drama to made out of maintaining it etc.

Downton kind of prevents that from happening, I think it suits airing after GBBO, both have that warm cosiness about them.

Good point, guest :)
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Damn, Sophia Myles has put on weight :o

For the rest it is indeed very enjoyable, especially love the child actress (they are always so cute).
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed that, excellent family drama and I think it compliments its lead in (Bake Off) well. I definitely don't trust that reverend, but it's always good to see Stephen Campbell Moore.

It'll be interesting how they pace this, if it's a hit BBC will want it to continue a while. I can see the zoo opening at the end of the series, but I imagine there's a lot of drama to made out of maintaining it etc.

Downton kind of prevents that from happening, I think it suits airing after GBBO, both have that warm cosiness about them.

Exactly, put them both on a Sunday night, cosy Autumn viewing. Downton could do with a bit of competition, they might be arsed to put some of the quality back in.
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I enjoyed it a feel good episode.
    A bbc series well done 😊
    Yes seems like a nice part of the countryside.
    Looking forward to next weeks episode.
  • Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quality series which I really enjoyed! Both the GBBO and this make for a great Wednesday evening's viewing. Roll on next week.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn, Sophia Myles has put on weight :o

For the rest it is indeed very enjoyable, especially love the child actress (they are always so cute).

BIB that would be because she was pregnant whilst filming :D and still is pregnant atm which she confirmed in an interview on the Wright Stuff a couple of weeks ago.

Great new drama this is from the BBC and you can tell that a lot of trouble ha gone into getting the detail right, well done BBC! :)
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It ties in well with the WWI commemorations, 'lest we forget' that shell shock was not something easily thrown off.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Why was this not a Sunday night show.... The feel good factor is there. A brilliant programme all round :)

Yes, I thought it would make perfect Sunday night viewing. No complaints though, I really enjoyed it, excellent cast.
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Drama .. heartwarming , touching ..always good to see the talented Lee Ingelby, Liz White, Stephen Campbell Moore onTV and the rest of the cast were good aswell ..! Well done BBC !.....Also a few Life on Mars links Lee Ingelby (sams father) Liz White (Annie) and Peter Wight (albert) who was the Mill owner in series one !..and Stephen Campbell Moore and Liz White played sister and brother in a Short Stay in Switzerland with Julie Walters !
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Enjoyable television but surely it's more suited to a Sunday night spot?

I suppose the trouble with Sunday evening is that it would be up against things like ExFactor, Downton shortly perhaps. Perhaps they want to give it chance to stablish itself then perhaps repeat.

I thought they might worry about things like animal cruelty and animals being put down so felt 2100h was better but could not see anything last night that would disturb most kids.

They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble on period details though sure someone will find a minor error!

As was said on The One Show, the actress playing the little girl is very good.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything about it was entertaining. I want to see more of them all, even bossy matriarch Anne Reid so I'll be watching again.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the first episode, am sure it's dramatised but they must have been nutters to do this. still a fantastic zoo today but i remember it even better in the 70s when the zoo had far more animals living in big open cages. especially Siberian tigers etc.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed that. Great cast, and the little girl playing June was brilliant, cute and no overacting in sight!
    And, I could hear the actors speak, no mumbling, so it CAN be done!
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it! Agree that June is a fab little actress I think she appeared in Friday Night Dinner.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this last night. Even tho I was not a fan of Lee Ingelby in George Gently he is very likable in this.

The place where this was filmed is amazing. I will have to find out where it is.

My only picky bit :blush: is were those type of head collars about in that time? I thought they only had rope halters.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice easy going drama.

That camel deserves an award.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it round my mother's house and the first thing she said was that it was like something that should have been on a Sunday night. I liked the trailer but thought it all looked a bit ITV.

The night watchman from the film Naked has put on a hell of a lot of weight. Didn't he recently get wasted in Utopia as well?

There were many faces I saw that made me think, "what the hell have I seen them in?" The young woman had been in something recent and I'm damned if I can remember what it was. Edit: It was Life On Mars.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I watched it round my mother's house and the first thing she said was that it was like something that should have been on a Sunday night. I liked the trailer but thought it all looked a bit ITV.

The night watchman from the film Naked has put on a hell of a lot of weight. Didn't he recently get wasted in Utopia as well?

There were many faces I saw that made me think, "what the hell have I seen them in?" The young woman had been in something recent and I'm damned if I can remember what it was.

The wife? I think she was in the recent drama (forgot the title) that Philip Glennister was in, maybe.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just looked her up (Liz White) and the only thing I could possibly have seen her in was The Crimson Petal and the White.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    The wife? I think she was in the recent drama (forgot the title) that Philip Glennister was in, maybe.

From There to Here: a drama series about The Manchester Bombing in 1996.
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »

She was in life on mars as Annie Cartwright. :)

I really like this gentle drama.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this. I'm glad its not on a Sunday, cosy dramas can be on other days of the week too!
    Liked Ingleby in this role and the animals are fab. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this and I can indulge my slghtly worrying Ralf little crush :o
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this. I'm glad its not on a Sunday, cosy dramas can be on other days of the week too!
    Liked Ingleby in this role and the animals are fab. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.