TalkRadio

Comments

• wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Further proof of the slow growth of TalkRadio today as JHB took 4 calls.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to laugh at Jon Holmes appearing on drive with Sam Delaney, they were talking about Paul Ross knocking over Sam's vespa. Jon said that Paul had history with cars and that he was probably too busy looking though someone elses window.
  • Blighty76Blighty76 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »

Watch your backs LBC...! :D
  • scotty_dog1scotty_dog1 Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Why has there been next to no advertising for TalkRadio, TalkSport2 and Virgin? I don't know what it's been like in the rest of the country, but here in the north-west I haven't seen anything; not one billboard, tv advert, bus stop, etc etc.
    How do they expect these stations to have any success if people don't know they exist?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As promised, for Martyn and anyone else who's interested in the Unexplained with Howard Hughes, here are some more of my Unexplained podcast recommendations from the first half of 2014; :)

#172 - 28/8/2014 - Nixon - Roger Stone talking about Watergate and beyond.
    #169 - 10/8/2014 - Grant Cameron - Talk about UFO's and consciousness.
    #163 - 26/6/2014 - Uri Geller - Talks from his home.
    #160 - 7/6/2014 - Did Hitler Escape? - Journalist Gerard Williams on his research on the subject.
    #159 - 31/5/2014 - Haunted Skies - Retired policeman John Hanson discusses his UFO research.
    #158 - 21/5/2014 - Bill Chalker - Leading Australian UFO researcher.
    #155 - 30/4/2014 - Richard C.Hoagland - What are the Chinese up to on the moon?
    #154 - 17/4/2014 - Catherine Austin-Fitts - How the world and its economy really works.
    #146 - 28/2/2014 - Ole Dammegard - How many high profile deaths & assassinations are connected.
    #145 - 20/2/2014 - Steven Greer - Disclosure, UFO's, ET's and cover ups.
    #139 - 11/1/2014 - Dr Bruce Goldberg - Teleportation.

Quite a few here and I'm not even at 2013 or 2012 yet like I stated I'd post editions from. Free from iTunes or on Howard Hughes own website. Most last just slightly over an hour.
  • radamfiradamfi Posts: 13,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Had to laugh at Jon Holmes appearing on drive with Sam Delaney, they were talking about Paul Ross knocking over Sam's vespa. Jon said that Paul had history with cars and that he was probably too busy looking though someone elses window.

After reading this I checked out the Listen Again and it was quite an amusing strand throughout the show. Yasmeen Khan and Jonny Gould also joined "Team Drive" without hesitation however newsreader Victoria was initially reluctant to totally commit and Sam was very put out by that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why has there been next to no advertising for TalkRadio, TalkSport2 and Virgin?

Virgin?! I don't think I've seen a radio station so widely advertised.

talkSPORT 2 presumably gets lots of mentions on regular talkSPORT so probably doesn't need so much advertising.

The lack of advertising for talkRADIO is worrying, though. I hoped it would ramp up after the end of the saturation exposure for Virgin but it doesn't seem to have happened yet. I did post a couple of weeks ago about seeing a poster near Brighton. Has anyone seen posters elsewhere?
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »
    After reading this I checked out the Listen Again and it was quite an amusing strand throughout the show. Yasmeen Khan and Jonny Gould also joined "Team Drive" without hesitation however newsreader Victoria was initially reluctant to totally commit and Sam was very put out by that.

Paul Ross master today with Jamie East also had some comments relating to what Paul gets up to in cars as well today. I'm really surpized Jon hasnt been told to stop it by management in relation to Paul's dogging past.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen posters elsewhere?

There is a massive billboard ad on one of the busiest roads in Aberdeen. I''d have assumed most major towns and cities would have them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    There is a massive billboard ad on one of the busiest roads in Aberdeen. I''d have assumed most major towns and cities would have them.

I wonder if there is a connection to the fact that Aberdeen is the one place where talkRADIO is covered on a local multiplex rather than SDL?
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the special guest spot yesterday with Angelos and Barry on the Iain Lee show had me laughing senseless.:D

I've clipped it from this great website >> http://iainlee.cu.ma/ << Thank you to the person who has put this site together you go to a lot of trouble to list every show it is very much appreciated.

The interview.
    http://bit.ly/1rwQXbS
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there is a connection to the fact that Aberdeen is the one place where talkRADIO is covered on a local multiplex rather than SDL?

It may be if there isn't similar publicity in other Scottish cities. I don't think that there have been any Scottish callers yet, apart from to Iain Lee's show. I haven't heard any callers from Northern Ireland yet either. I have heard Welsh callers.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,315
    Forum Member
    Virgin?! I don't think I've seen a radio station so widely advertised.

talkSPORT 2 presumably gets lots of mentions on regular talkSPORT so probably doesn't need so much advertising.

The lack of advertising for talkRADIO is worrying, though. I hoped it would ramp up after the end of the saturation exposure for Virgin but it doesn't seem to have happened yet. I did post a couple of weeks ago about seeing a poster near Brighton. Has anyone seen posters elsewhere?

Virgin widely advertised??!!!

I've seen nothing on Tv, magazines, papers or online, where exactly have they been widely advertising? When Radio X launched there were Tv and newspaper adds for Virgin not seen a thing?
  • coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Kelly is doing the 7pm show tonight.
  • martyn6811martyn6811 Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    As promised, for Martyn and anyone else who's interested in the Unexplained with Howard Hughes, here are some more of my Unexplained podcast recommendations from the first half of 2014; :)

#172 - 28/8/2014 - Nixon - Roger Stone talking about Watergate and beyond.
    #169 - 10/8/2014 - Grant Cameron - Talk about UFO's and consciousness.
    #163 - 26/6/2014 - Uri Geller - Talks from his home.
    #160 - 7/6/2014 - Did Hitler Escape? - Journalist Gerard Williams on his research on the subject.
    #159 - 31/5/2014 - Haunted Skies - Retired policeman John Hanson discusses his UFO research.
    #158 - 21/5/2014 - Bill Chalker - Leading Australian UFO researcher.
    #155 - 30/4/2014 - Richard C.Hoagland - What are the Chinese up to on the moon?
    #154 - 17/4/2014 - Catherine Austin-Fitts - How the world and its economy really works.
    #146 - 28/2/2014 - Ole Dammegard - How many high profile deaths & assassinations are connected.
    #145 - 20/2/2014 - Steven Greer - Disclosure, UFO's, ET's and cover ups.
    #139 - 11/1/2014 - Dr Bruce Goldberg - Teleportation.

Quite a few here and I'm not even at 2013 or 2012 yet like I stated I'd post editions from. Free from iTunes or on Howard Hughes own website. Most last just slightly over an hour.
    That's fantastic Rich. Thanks very much for taking the time mate. I've been working my way back with the podcasts and I'm currently up to late 2015. It will be great to have some good ones to listen to over the weekend. Overall, I'm quite impressed with the quality of the podcasts, they are consistently good and I really like Howard's enthusiasm.

See you here on Sunday for the TalkRadio show! Thanks again mate.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Danny Kelly is doing the 7pm show tonight.
    He's not bad listen when he's not doing sports talk, nearest talkRADIO will get to a Danny Baker show I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't want any talkSPORT presenters on talkRADIO I thought I'd ridden myself of those lot when talkRADIO started up I hope this instance is sorely a one-off.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Personally I don't want any talkSPORT presenters on talkRADIO I thought I'd ridden myself of those lot when talkRADIO started up I hope this instance is sorely a one-off.
    Lets see what happens when the listening figures come in, maybe they might turn it into an all football talk station........oh wait a minute........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets see what happens when the listening figures come in, maybe they might turn it into an all football talk station........oh wait a minute........

If that happens that'll be the last straw for me.

>> http://bit.ly/1ohFHhx <<
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Iain's interview with Angelos & Barry it's even funnier watching it on video seeing Iain cracking up.:D

No messing this link is straight to it.
    >> http://bit.ly/1YczfF6 <<
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Kelly will be a one-off they are just filling that slot until george Galloway can start probably next week?... If they have to bring in a talksport presenter then Kelly isn't a bad shout. disapointing though as I think a 3 hour phone in with Alan Brazil waxing lyrical on the days news could be a pretty fine listen...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Virgin widely advertised??!!!

For a while it seemed that every poster in Manchester and London was advertising Virgin.

I wouldn't expect Virgin to advertise in the South West as they aren't generally on DAB in that area although obviously it is online.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,315
    Forum Member
    For a while it seemed that every poster in Manchester and London was advertising Virgin.

I wouldn't expect Virgin to advertise in the South West as they aren't generally on DAB in that area although obviously it is online.

So only billboards, no print media, tv or online. Aren't billboards a fairly small part of overall advertising industry so not that extensive.

Odd strategy focussing on the ultra competitive London and Manchester markets, do Virgin really think they can compete with Radio X, Capital, Heart and Absolute who are on FM in those area surely they'd have more success in areas with less competition. Sounds like a major error with their launch strategy.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 200,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »

I thouhgt I was listening to " Childrens hour " when I heard a guest saying .......... buy a big cheep clock & stick big hands on it, when it get to 7pm its bed time ! :confused:

I think I'll be going back to LBC, if thats the best she can come up with !!! >:(>:(
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Personally I don't want any talkSPORT presenters on talkRADIO I thought I'd ridden myself of those lot when talkRADIO started up .

They nicked that numpty, " Sam Delaney " from tS ? not heard his show yet & dont think I want too !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    So only billboards, no print media, tv or online. Aren't billboards a fairly small part of overall advertising industry so not that extensive.

Odd strategy focussing on the ultra competitive London and Manchester markets, do Virgin really think they can compete with Radio X, Capital, Heart and Absolute who are on FM in those area surely they'd have more success in areas with less competition. Sounds like a major error with their launch strategy.

I'm only saying London and Manchester because those were the places where I saw them. On the Virgin thread someone said they were widespread in Aberdeenshire. No doubt they existed in other places too.

I happened to notice an advert on the front cover of Sport magazine, although of course that is in the same company. I don't read generally read any magazines or newspapers, so maybe it was advertised elsewhere in places that I wouldn't have seen them.