Polite way of asking...

FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
Forum Member
someone to change the subject?

I don't mean to sound trivial, but suppose it is to an extent. I'm friends with someone, who constantly goes on about celebs. It's got to the point of collecting newspaper cuttings and asking if I know about fanmail addresses...

It's just really boring because it's all he'll talk about, like he knows them personally.

Comments

• EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm in company with someone whose conversaton doesn't interest me I tend to just not respond to any queries and just say nowt.
    It's not as direct as saying
    "HAVE YOU GOT NO OTHER BLOODY TOPIC OF CONVERSATION?"
    But it seems to work.
    Gazing off into the distance and looking bored helps in this regard.
  • Music_boxMusic_box Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pull his hair and slap him
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Don't tempt me music_box :D, I've tried staring into space and saying "yeah, uh huh" but he still goes on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Fashion wrote: »
    someone to change the subject?

I don't mean to sound trivial, but suppose it is to an extent. I'm friends with someone, who constantly goes on about celebs. It's got to the point of collecting newspaper cuttings and asking if I know about fanmail addresses...

It's just really boring because it's all he'll talk about, like he knows them personally.

You don't ask, you just change the subject yourself. :D
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I know how you feel OP. I have a mate who is absolutely obsessed with Thomas Dolby. It's all he ever bloody talks about. I'm usually quite blunt and direct and but I don't have the heart to tell him to STFU because he's so passionate about it. I usually just wait for a pause and then casually change the subject completely.
    Forum Member
    Think I'll follow your example Bagpipes
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I just try to start talking about something else. Usually works most of the time but it depends what I start talking about.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't bother being subtle. I usually give out a big groan and go "change the ****ing record" though that usually just gets a reply of ~playful hit on the shoulder~ "Oh Lauryn what are you like, anyway as I was saying..........." for the next 20 minutes.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I feel like I'm reading heat magazine when we're talking"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you asked him why he is obsessed ?
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learn the art of how to change the subject!

If that does not work then perhaps you need a different friend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, you're kind of lucky that your friend's interest is somewhat broad, i.e. celebrities in general rather than one particular celebrity. Since he'll be talking about what they're up to, it gives a pretty wide scope for you to hook into certain subjects and steer the conversation away.

i.e. Such and such is having a new swimming pool fitted -> Gosh, I haven't been swimming in *years*
    Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are having trouble in the bedroom department -> Actually, I only just got to see that film Inglorious Basterds, I found Brad's part a little too ....
    Forum Member
    Duplicate post
    Forum Member
    Have you asked him why he is obsessed ?
    He'd most likely deny it, his religious beliefs don't allow obsession/idolising...the irony I guess
    Nanimo wrote: »
    Actually, you're kind of lucky that your friend's interest is somewhat broad, i.e. celebrities in general rather than one particular celebrity. Since he'll be talking about what they're up to, it gives a pretty wide scope for you to hook into certain subjects and steer the conversation away.

i.e. Such and such is having a new swimming pool fitted -> Gosh, I haven't been swimming in *years*
    Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are having trouble in the bedroom department -> Actually, I only just got to see that film Inglorious Basterds, I found Brad's part a little too ....
    I'm not lucky Nanimo :D. Tried finding common ground on a celeb I might like, but he usually turns it round to a current obsession (atm MJ).