Boo To The X factor For Claiming Another Number 1...

Comments

• miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    Not exactly true this time next year he'll be known as thingy from last year's X Factor, you know the one who won it the year after the other thingy won it.

Simon Cowell defends this mockery by claiming it gives those the chance to make it, well they would have made it if they were good enough and thats the reason why they are on the show they havent. Once in a blue moon a gem turns up but for the rest its just a fad that fades and the next one enters the circus.

Totally right. If they are good enough...they will make it...without the Shite Factor.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    miles19740 wrote: »
    ...all preferable to the Fix Factor...to be fair...

Anything has to be better than that.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Phantz wrote: »
    Here's some Xmas #1's before X Factor

1996 Spice Girls "2 Become 1"
    1997 Spice Girls "Too Much"
    1998 Spice Girls "Goodbye"
    1999 Westlife "I Have A Dream" / "Seasons in the Sun"
    2000 Bob The Builder "Can We Fix It?"
    2001 Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman "Somethin' Stupid"
    2002 Girls Aloud "Sound of the Underground"
    2003 Michael Andrews & Gary Jules "Mad World"

And you guys are complaining about X Factor??

Fair point. I've seen the videos for both on one of the music channels recently. Not exactly cover versions that were going to go down in history as musical excellence, merely the typical sort of boy band cover version of the time. In many ways, the X Factor winner's first single replicates that sort of thing. I guess one could argue the 1990s had their answer to X Factor type Christmas #1 contenders in a way. I remember Jane McDonald's single being suggested as a contender for Christmas #1 after coming to fame on the reality TV programme/documentary, "The Cruise." In fairness it matched the sort of singing one would expect on a cruise but the video was pretty bad too.

With all these countdowns of top Christmas songs and #1s, II think it's always worth reminding yourself about some of the other contenders for Christmas number 1s in years gone by.
    1999 was one of my favourite years for music but there were some pretty cringe worthy tracks out at the end of the year. The less said about Cliff's "The Millennium Prayer" and Daniel O' Donnell's "A Christmas Kiss" the better. I do remember the Cuban Boys' "C vs I" being tipped as a possible contender for Christmas #1. Quite a funny story but whoever came up with the silly music that was sampled for the track in the first place must have been eating dodgy curries or something. I was always a bit surprised that somebody didn't try and do a similar thing with that badgerbadgerbadgerbadger thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just feel like if there is a song that is genuinely a contender for xmas#1 and not just for the sake of being anti xfactor, then that's fine. Otherwise it's stupid and proves no point other than that we are a nation that does as we are told.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad news for Matt then since he will have less of a platform to launch his album / follow up single from the normal higher sales leading up to Christmas + the other artists who try to get a pre-Christmas sales boost.

That's why they're trying to release his album in April, like they did with Shayne Ward!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK one will still be on, only it'll start and end later in the year apparently.

No, ITV Have apparently said they won't wait for Cowell. Too right!
  • Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, that's the song is it?

Why the h*ll has Cowell's Karaoke Circus changed the name?

Just in case it's mistaken for real music, such as the original?

Well, good luck to Matt, but I think like all the other male winners, Joe, Shayne, the one no-one can remember, and Steve, I think he'll have the shelf-life of a pint of long-life milk!
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, the days when a record company executive would just manufacture a band and hype them to hell, instead of getting air time on ITV and having a 4 month long advert masquerading as a talent contest.

lol.. exactly! no difference.

id strongly suggest that all those wound up by this result should GET A LIFE! .... i mean, who cares which hyped manufactured act gets to #1? its the flippin singles chart ffs! hardly the home of good music, and hasnt been for over 25 years. instead of moaning constantly and getting all wound up why tf dont you broaden your musical tastes and ignore this charade? theres far far more to music then the singles chart.... jeez...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol.. exactly! no difference.

id strongly suggest that all those wound up by this result should GET A LIFE! .... i mean, who cares which hyped manufactured act gets to #1? its the flippin singles chart ffs! hardly the home of good music, and hasnt been for over 25 years. instead of moaning constantly and getting all wound up why tf dont you broaden your musical tastes and ignore this charade? theres far far more to music then the singles chart.... jeez...

I second this motion.

Well said, the singles charts are about sales, and therefore will with a few exceptions reward the most commercial artists. Why anyone is surprised by the success of acts promoted by one of the best marketing schemes in decades is beyond me.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year I grew tired of the XF being #1 so I bought RATM (and i hate that kind of music), don't ask why i did it.

But this year, I bought Matt's single because he was my favourite since the start. If it was anyone else that won, I would have bought Surfin' Bird (excluding Rebecca).
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should start a campaign now to bring back Sir Cliff for the Christmas No 1 after all it is his right to be No 1 surely (even though even in his most successful years he was seldom actually No 1 at Christmas)?

I fail to understand why people complain about the X-Factor. It is not the program or Simon Cowell that buys all the records - it is the general public. If more people buy the XF record than any other (it was not even close this year) it will be No 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    We should start a campaign now to bring back Sir Cliff for the Christmas No 1 after all it is his right to be No 1 surely (even though even in his most successful years he was seldom actually No 1 at Christmas)?

I fail to understand why people complain about the X-Factor. It is not the program or Simon Cowell that buys all the records - it is the general public. If more people buy the XF record than any other (it was not even close this year) it will be No 1.

But it is the whole spin the show puts on. You are made to feel that you should buy the X Factor records...except for me of course. I have no time for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it is the whole spin the show puts on. You are made to feel that you should buy the X Factor records...except for me of course. I have no time for it.

your opinion of the great british pulic is a very very small one... and for someone who has 'no time for it', you waste hours bemoaning its existance! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your opinion of the great british pulic is a very very small one... and for someone who has 'no time for it', you waste hours bemoaning its existance! :D

Apparently you also 'waste hours' by arguing with miles19740, it goes waaaay back to 2nd November 2009 if i recall correctly. ;)
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hear'Say was over Summer 2001

I think their Pure and Simple charted in either March or April of 2001. They had one more number 1 before they were forgotten about in the chart.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it wasnt,Shayne Ward was the first X Factor Christmas Number One(As Steve Brookstein got to Number 2),that was from Popstars the Rivals

From what I remember, Steve's song wasn't released on Christmas week as Band Aid 20 was out for Christmas and so that took the final pre X Factor Christmas No1 slot.

Steve's song was released the first week after Christmas No 1 slot and got to number 2. It was his second week in the chart where he took the number 1 slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think their Pure and Simple charted in either March or April of 2001. They had one more number 1 before they were forgotten about in the chart.

That is right (Show Me The Way To Your Heart - was the follow up)...but they also had the fastest selling, non-charity single in the UK (a record that was beaten a year later by Pop Idol winner Will Young), and went on to sell over 1 million copies. However, where are they now? One is Corrie...one is Emmerdale...
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member

But the spices only just about made number 1 with 'Goodbye'.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At least this had some variety to it. And I remember being happy when Mad World made no1, for once a decent song made it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fashion wrote: »
    But the spices only just about made number 1 with 'Goodbye'.

I preferred any old tat getting to Number 1 prior to The Fix Factor. Why? Because all the records were competing on a level playing field. With the Shit Factor, you have Cowell promoting his own singers...only...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »
    At least this had some variety to it. And I remember being happy when Mad World made no1, for once a decent song made it.

Even though it was 'slit your wrist' music?
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bird obviously isn't the word :(
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Geek wrote: »

Surfing Bird will still be getting talked about. covered and used in TV programmes long after Roy from The IT Crowd is stacking shelves in Morrisons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently you also 'waste hours' by arguing with miles19740, it goes waaaay back to 2nd November 2009 if i recall correctly. ;)

ahh but im not moaning about it. im happy to come here to share opinion, debate issues and expose hypocrisy! :D

the girls from hear'say did well career wise out of being on that contest...so did the runners up. myleen class in particular has done very well out of it. its not the first time pop stars have become actors either...
    The Geek wrote: »

:D
    Surfing Bird will still be getting talked about. covered and used in TV programmes long after Roy from The IT Crowd is stacking shelves in Morrisons.

maybe, i dont think anyone doubts its potential as a novelty record. but it simply isnt good enough, the novelty wore off very quickly.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

maybe, i dont think anyone doubts its potential as a novelty record. but it simply isnt good enough, the novelty wore off very quickly.

Can I clarify "good enough" for what, exactly?

As this year Xmas No. 1, then yes, it wasn't even close.

As a song though, it's been covered by the likes of The Ramones, Silverchair, The Cramps, as well as used on Full Metal Jacket, Super Mario Bros Super Show and more recently Family Guy.

It's certainly dug it's way into popular culture.